• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Nail cutting

robbieswan

Tess has sharp nails, but went to the vet about 4 months ago to have them cut, and the vet said they didn't need cutting. Problem is she is starting to scratch people and furniture. Can you cut dogs' nails yourself?

Thanks

Absolutely....I cut Gracie's once a month or so

You can use good quality dog nail clippers and/or a special pet nail grinder, which smoothes them out. I have to use the clippers on her front dew claws, but use the grinder on the others. Hubby helps me out by keeping her still. I cut off any excess fur on bottom of her paws first...which helps her maintain traction on our floors.

Try to find someone who is skilled at this to show you what to do...was very helpful step for me.Cut just a bit at a time to avoid going too deep, but keep some doggy styptic powder on hand in case you do so by accident. I have used that stuff on me when I got a small cut and worked great to stop bleeding fast.

Here is link to decent clippers that have a guard to prevent cutting too much. Many out there but must be sharp!
http://www.ohmydogsupplies.com/dog-products/ergonomic-professional-nail-clippers.html

Here is link to one brand of nail grooming grinders....very much like a Dremel tool. Make sure it has the plastic cover guard to help prevent fur or toes from getting into the grinder
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002JM0DOA/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_3?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=1SPYG9JKRY0604667WCB

Dremel sells a pet nail accessory kit but no guard with it. Pity!!:(

Definitely Cut the Nails!!!

Not "needing" to be cut could mean that your pup's nails are not grossly overgrown. I still think regular maintenance is important. Also you DO want to start young, otherwise when your dog really needs a nail trim he might not be so happy about having his feet handled!

I trim Coco's nails once a month, and try to grind them (I use a Dremmel Tool) every week to keep them smooth. Groomers can do this for you as well, but it saves $$ to do it yourself!

Check out my grooming video (I was a dog groomer for a few years). You can skip right to the nail part, or watch the whole thing :)

Just a little reminder to forum members reading this thread.

Remember to cut the dewclaws if they have not been removed. They get hidden as the fur grows and sometimes people forget they are there.

Some Cavaliers are born with hind dew claws that can grow round & pierce the skin. They are usually removed but it is always a good idea to check, especially when rehoming a rescue dog.

I have done both. Clipped myself, and had someone else clip them. Most pet groomers will clip your dogs nails for between $7-9 (US).

exactly....remember the dew claws...

Just a little reminder to forum members reading this thread.

Remember to cut the dewclaws if they have not been removed. They get hidden as the fur grows and sometimes people forget they are there.

Some Cavaliers are born with hind dew claws that can grow round & pierce the skin. They are usually removed but it is always a good idea to check, especially when rehoming a rescue dog.

Most of us have Cavs where dew claws were not removed.... and you can't usually trim these with rotary trimmer... have to use clippers.

Back