• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Blondie throwing up 3 mornings in a row

Blondiemonster

Hello people
So Blondie has been throwing up this yellow vile slimey stuff every morning for 3 days now. Her diet hasn't changed, her meds haven't changed either.
She's on omeprazole and gabapentin. Last night I gave her a light meal and gave her the usual meds wrapped in cheese other than the pill pockets I jsut bought (the allergy free formula by accident and thought maybe that was the only thing that could cause it) but this morning before breakfast she threw u again.
She didn't seem less active at all, yesterday we went to a horsefarm and all had fun, but this morning she doesn't seem hungry and a bit down.. She went number 2 normal. She also doesn't throw up food or later in the day, always in the morning BEFORE breakfast.
Any thoughts? My experience with running to vets for this is that they usually don't really know what to do about this kind of stuff and send you of with a "gastroentitis" and a bland diet advice, so I'm not to eager to run to the vet quiet yet.

Oh, I missed that. Omeprazole is the generic for Prilosec.

Yes, she takes it for the SM.. She is eating as I type now so that's good. I'm just afraid tmrw will be the same story. (throwing up in the morning) If i can add the Pepto to the Prilosec i would try that..

Lynn,

With my recent experience, I would go to a vet or not wait. She definately could at least be dehydrated. Is she drinking? I'm sorry to bring that up but with no change in medication or food, its better to be safe. Call dr. West at least because he will know medication stuff. Even ella going to vet they said stomach bug but 3 days seems like a long time. I hope rod or pat will respond but I would at least call or go take her somewhere.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Sorry Blondie isn't feeling well. I have no experience with SM and the medications needed.....but I have to agree, a call (or a visit) to the vet is in order. It does seem very strange that it only happens in the morning and that she seems OK for the rest of the day. Let us know how it goes.

Hey annie. She just finished her whole meal and drink and poops and doesnt throw up her meals , its literally a problem with her stomach acids that gather in her stomach overnight it seems..I completely understand where you are coming from with recent experience so as soon as she doesnt eat or drink for half a day or so i would definitely go. I just dont think theyll be able to do anythig at all. Last time i went was last year when she threw up blood and even then they didnt do much. ( i forced them do xrays and ultrasound right away) but she threw up a lot of blood 6 times in 2 hours so that was a different story. It ended up being gastroentitis. Ugh.

Sydneysmom ; thanks, yes i will at least call dr. West and ask about the pepto acid in combinatiom with omeprazole. That way i will be able to get advice tio. I googled the problem and throwing up bile in the AM seems to be a common problem in dogs so it seems, some people advice to give a snack before bedtime so the acid doesnt irritate the stomach, my only question is why this all of a sudden happens. Weird. I hope rod reads this post. He usually knows whats up!:)

Annie shes def not dehydrated she drinks as normal.. What comes out of her stomach in the morning is slimey yellow stomach bile. Yuk.

Sydneysmom ; thanks, yes i will at least call dr. West and ask about the pepto acid in combinatiom with omeprazole. That way i will be able to get advice tio. I googled the problem and throwing up bile in the AM seems to be a common problem in dogs so it seems, some people advice to give a snack before bedtime so the acid doesnt irritate the stomach, my only question is why this all of a sudden happens. Weird. I hope rod reads this post. He usually knows whats up!:)

Lynn check your email. Rod doesn't check all the forums all the time.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

A snack at bedtime seems like a simple solution:xfngr: When Sydney was a puppy, I gave him a doggie biscut to help with his crate training. Now he still gets one. It's possible that the dryness of the biscut will help absorb the stomach acids. Probably couldn't hurt.

I have no experience with SM or the meds your dog is on, but Polly was doing this awhile ago. She would get up in the morning and throw up a little bile. Giving her a late night snack before bed seems to have solved the problem as she hasn't done it in about 2 months since. Good luck!

Just quick mention since Rod posted- She had full bloodwork done not too long ago and everything was fine (including liver function) so luckily it wasn't deemed anything serious in her case thank goodness :)

Last edited:
I think this type of vomiting could be due to any of several things. Yellow, if it is bile, comes from the liver. If it is a liver disorder, then a vet should be involved quickly. But it may be due to something she got into which she should not have, and that may clear up soon. If it goes on for more than a day, I'd take her to the vet.

Keep track of all of her behaviors so that you can describe them to the vet when he examines her. Like, her stomach gurgles, or she will not eat, or she is lethargic, etc.

When our dogs have digestion problems, we usually make up a liquid solution of Slippery Elm and give them about 6 cc. three times a day.

Okay, I'm going to go on a limb here.....but is it possible she has allergies? I mean, it is that time of year here in the US, and well, I don't know how much you walk her, but you me mentioned being at the horse farm. So, I just wonder if she is having some difficulties due to breathing in allergens?

What time do you feed her in the PM? And when do you give her her meds?

Thanks for all your advice. She is eating normal and was just playing tug o war... Thanks rod for checking my post. Do u know if gabantin or omeprazole can cause liver problems? I really hope it stops soon. With the sm and psom the last thing we need is a liver disorder. It came on very suddenly which makes me think its accute wheter its just a bug or something else related. I will give her a snack before bedtime and see if it happens again tomorrow (please not) i will go see the vet. Do they so a bloodtest to check for liver stuff? Claires mommy, i feed her at ten pm. We dont go to bed till 12 or 1 or later. Meds three times a day every 8 hours and the omeprazole just once.

Thanks for all your advice. She is eating normal and was just playing tug o war... Thanks rod for checking my post. Do u know if gabantin or omeprazole can cause liver problems? I really hope it stops soon. With the sm and psom the last thing we need is a liver disorder. It came on very suddenly which makes me think its accute wheter its just a bug or something else related. I will give her a snack before bedtime and see if it happens again tomorrow (please not) i will go see the vet. Do they so a bloodtest to check for liver stuff? Claires mommy, i feed her at ten pm. We dont go to bed till 12 or 1 or later. Meds three times a day every 8 hours and the omeprazole just once.

I got this from Rod's website http://cavalierhealth.org/syringomyelia.htm but I really thought that Prednisone was the one that was most harmful to liver.

"However, in dogs, gabapentin is partially metabolized in the liver, and therefore the prescribing neurologist may be expected to order periodic blood tests to check the liver enzymes."

Personally, I think a lot of drugs are metabolized in the liver. I know that from my own medication and I have to get my liver enzymes tested.

I got this from http://www.liverfoundation.org/mym

"
Why is Managing your Medications important to liver health?

Every medicine, vitamin, supplement that you take passes through the liver, including all the medicines you take:
  • Over-the-counter medicines
  • Prescription medicines
  • Vitamins
  • Dietary supplements
  • Alternative medicines
Your liver is responsible for processing all of these substances. It is important to understand exactly how you should be taking your medications in order to avoid putting undue stress on your liver."

I always thought it was long term use that you had to be careful of and especially prednisone. You can read each drug and there is a lot of potential problems from long term use. I wouldn't start to freak out but I know for Ella, I would always ask about her liver enzymes especially since she was on prednisone.

Also I would say there are several Cavaliers on this forum that have been on inhibitors like prilosec and gabapentin for several years. I hope Blondie gets better

A friend's dog needed night snack before bed

She has a Cavvie mix that was also on alot of meds that caused her to have digestive issues. A light snack around 9 or 10 pm has helped. Maybe worth a try. Hope she gets better soon.

Back