View Full Version : Possible foster situation -- elderly neighbour

13th May 2011, 01:20 PM
I have just been told my elderly neighbour has fallen while shopping, and is in hospital. He has two lovely dogs -- an elderly collie named Sam who is a real gentleman and very low key -- he mostly sleeps! -- but needs outside access for his old bladder, and Susie, a cavalier rescue who has advanced MVD but remains lively and active. She is housetrained and low key and very sweet!

I am just not sure right now what may happen with this situation but want to post notice in case anyone might help out with these two, in case friends cannot take them. I can likely take Susie at least short term. Please PM me or post if anyone feels they might help out, if the situation eventually warrants it.

13th May 2011, 03:20 PM
Oh I'm so sorry to hear this, I do hope he will be ok

13th May 2011, 03:40 PM
Fingers crossed here too for your neighbour and his lovely dogs. Do hope everything will work out OK to put his mind at rest.


13th May 2011, 03:43 PM
Right now it looks like he may be home later -- fingers crossed. He had a spell the day before as well though, so am a little concerned about the bigger picture.

13th May 2011, 03:50 PM
Oh that sounds a bit more positive, such a worry though when he lives alone :(

Thank you for keeping an eye on him and thinking about the dogs.

13th May 2011, 04:09 PM
Thanks for the update, Karlin, and glad to hear it sounds as though he'll get home soon. I agree that the longer-term probably needs thinking about now though.

This comes as yet another reminder to all of us to make sure our dogs are sorted out in case anything unexpected happens - we don't have to be elderly to get into a pickle!


13th May 2011, 04:58 PM
Great cartoon! :D

I am afraid it looks like he may end up in hospital as he currently cannot stand and walk. Therefore am actively looking for foster places for these dogs. Ideally they could go together but I realise that may not work for anyone. I will know more by tomorrow; for now they can stay together in the house. It may be that we can do some shifts of walking them so they can stay at the house short term anyway. Three of us rotate walking them right now as he has been housebound for some time.

13th May 2011, 06:47 PM
I could take Susie until July if that's any help? Fraid I can't take both.

13th May 2011, 08:50 PM
Thanks -- may take you up on that. I am waiting at the moment to see what the hospital says and should know more tomorrow. For a while, several of us can keep them together in the house and mind them there til we know more or if it is a very short hospital stay.