PDA

View Full Version : Swimming Cavaliers - do you shave?

MishathePooh
15th May 2011, 12:02 AM
My boy will start swimming about three times a week in a lake. Is it OK to leave his fur as is, or is it healthier to remove grinch fur and trim ears because of the algae and dirty/sandy lake bottom? The lake has been tested by the EPA and is clean enough for humans to swim in.

Desrae
15th May 2011, 07:32 PM
Mine are not avid swimmers, Belle will take a walk along the shoreline, and Bobby runs away from the waves, thinking it's great fun, so they never really get completely wet! I think though, if yours is going to get wet that much, it would be a good idea to get him a nice tidy and groom before his summer swimming starts. Then a quick dry with the towel and some air drying should be fine!

Desrae
15th May 2011, 07:34 PM
I see that you're from Ohio, I'm originally from there. I moved to Ireland nearly 9 years ago, I married a native. Still miss home all the time though!

Karlin
15th May 2011, 08:16 PM
About half of mine are swimmers and love lakes, canals, creeks, the sea, a large puddle...:rolleyes: No need to trim them for swimming -- the issue anyway isn't going to be what gets in their fur, it is what they ingest while swimming. If worried about coats, just give them a quick rinse with some fresh water -- I keep a couple of old water bottles with tap water in the car for sea swims to get the salt out of their coats. I actually find swims keep their coats lovely, clean and soft, whether in sea or fresh water. Sand is great -- dries off them and is easily brushed out then, and the slight roughness helps get hair really white.