• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

A close call

meljoy

I was in the kitchen earlier when I knocked against a cork board I pin messages etc onto. A pin fell on to the floor and from behind me Leo shot forward and licked it up:shock:

I yelled at him to "Leave" and he dropped it. Thank goodness he has good training with that as I dont want to think what would have happened if he'd swallowed it:bang:

It shows the importance of basic comands and keeping on with the training every day.

Hello Mel

Well done to you and Leo ,it brought back my close call with Dangerous Daisy the other week when I thought the little horror had swallowed a nail .

That's such a useful command! There's probably at least one point in every dog's life when knowing that command may save his or her life. If anyone hasn;t trained their dog to know 'leave it' and 'drop it', I'd consider these as important as a solid recall for safety.

On the other hand...:shock: I came in a while ago to find Leo up on a table having chewed through two bags and eaten the top inch or two off a barmbrack (Irish bread full of raisins which my neighbour gave me). :yikes

I figured he'd eaten at least 20-30 raisins, so in to the vet, as raisins and grapes can be fatal to dogs. One emetic injection later, the raisins reappeared along with breakfast. One now unhappy boy sleeping it off. I was at the front door talking to a neighbour when he managed to get up on the table and assault the brack -- which I don't even like, but my neighbour 'pays' me for dogwalking with bracks and biscuits that I usually take into work right away. From now on they will go up on a high shelf. :sl*p: "Drop it" wouldn;t have worked this time as the raisins had already started their journey. :rolleyes: I didn't want to run any risk of kidney failure though.

Thank goodness for a good owner doing excellent training!

Ahhh Thank youicon_blshing

It's great advice to encourage everyone to make sure the basic commands are well practiced. Like Karlin said you never know when it might save a life.

Thank goodness!

This post has taught me something...Brooklyn knows a lot of basic command, but she does not know "leave" or "leave it". How do I teach her that? Any suggestions? After reading this, it is the first thing I want to focus on asap.

Thanks!

Thank goodness!

This post has taught me something...Brooklyn knows a lot of basic command, but she does not know "leave" or "leave it". How do I teach her that? Any suggestions? After reading this, it is the first thing I want to focus on asap.

Thanks!

This is how we taught Leo;
Sit in front of him with a small treat in between your thumb and forefinger. Offer it to him but dont let him have it, he'll try and nip at it. When he cant get it and pulls his nose back you say "Leave". Then let him have it. You have to get the timing right. But pretty soon when he goes for it and you say Leave he'll pull back, you then say good boy and let him have it.
We practice everyday, what ever I give Leo I make him "Leave" and then wait a few seconds before allowing him to have it.
I do this with his meals too. He wont start eating until I tell him "Good boy Leo have":p
It takes patience and time but is SO worth it.

Good luck

Back