PDA

View Full Version : Lower jaw protuding

korimako
16th May 2011, 12:05 AM
My wee girl Cindy is 20weeks. Her bite used to look pretty level but I have now discovered that her lower jaw protudes quite a bit. Will it level again or will it stay the same?

Thanks
Kathy

ByFloSin
16th May 2011, 08:37 AM
Sounds like an undershot bite to me Cathy. If there is a wide gap between the bite in the top and lower jaws there could be a difficulty in eating food. Could be that the discrepancy is slight, which is not a problem at all unless you aim to show.

Yes they can and often do change their bites. It is thought to be possible for an undershot dog to change to a scissor bite (top set overlapping the bottom) in as long as three years from birth.

My dog, Little Joe, is undershot and eats perfectly; in fact he has the cleanest set of teeth of the five ByFloSins. If Cavaliers were required to be undershot then he would have a perfect bite.:o

korimako
16th May 2011, 10:03 PM
Thank you for that. Cindy is not for showing and so far manages to eat just fine so I shall not worry about it :)

Jasper and Holly
17th May 2011, 02:57 AM
Jasper has a slight overbite and it hasn't troubled him at all not even with bones. It's funny sometimes he looks like he has a sharks mouth!

BrooklynMom
17th May 2011, 09:33 AM
Brooklyn has that too :) Not big, but just enough that I think it is cute. Ha.

Cathy T
17th May 2011, 03:54 PM
Shelby too has a "bulldog" mouth but it doesn't stop her from eating ;)