• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Never thought I would need to ask this...poop sometimes too firm

GraciesMom

Gracie finally has recovered from long period of colitis with change in diet to raw food. It has some fiber in it, but now her poop may be too firm sometimes as it becomes balls and she strains too much. Any suggestions of gentle natural fiber we might add? Pumpkin works okay but hard to get her to eat it.

I am so relieved to see that you got her colitis sorted out and without medications, etc. Raw/natural is a little more work, but often worth it.

You can give her some cooked (but unseasoned) broccoli, carrots or green beans with her dinner. That should help. Sophie's "Oma's Pride" has veggies mixed in with the meat, and nothing else, and I believe that is their function. Whenever I've run out and simply given her plain raw ground beef, she gets a little constipated.

I wouldn't think fibre addition is necessarily the issue if she has hard poops -- that could just make them firmer and harder. Lack of fluids is also often a cause of constipation (but most dog should strain a bit to pass movements! Few dogs really get actual constipation -- poops should be firm, small and hard on a raw diet, about a third less volume than on other feeding programmes in my experience/on days I feed raw). I'd make sure she gets plenty of water, including adding some to her daily meal. Also, I'd add either an omega 3 daily supplement (eg same capsule you'd get at a health store) or some wild salmon oil (available for pet use).

What are you feeding her -- a prepared raw? What is in it? Generally there will be plenty of fibre in commercial, balanced raw diets.

Thanks all....

Thanks so much all. I am feeding her Nature's Variety frozen raw medallions, which are balanced meals with that are 95% meat, organs and bones and just 5% veggies, fruits, and supplements. No grains. Fiber content is just 2%.

I did know her poop would be harder and firmer with this food. Just seemed today that it is sometimes too hard. I will try adding water to her meal and Omega 3... maybe flaxseed oil. There is a bit of salmon oil in her food. She drinks quite a bit of water and loves ice cubes... she seems to get about the recommended amount.

Could ask your vet for some lactulose syrup. Coco got some of this from her liver shunt issue (which seems it is not the case) to help bind amino acids, but it also happens to be used as a gentle laxative. Even when she was getting the syrup twice a day she never had runny poo, so it is very gentle. May be worth a try if nothing else helps.

I never thought you would be asking this question either!

Unless she looks like she is actually in pain then I wouldn't worry -- that would be an appropriate amount of fibre/veg for raw and you can supplement with raw carrots, green peppers, banana etc -- all fibre filled foods. Really, you will not see the type of stool you are used to in the past on dry or wet foods, on a raw diet -- the stool should be hard and fairly dry/chalky. A dog should strain a bit to pass a stool; all of mine do; they have to engage muscles. This is normal. A teaspoon or two of oil a few times a week can help the coat and help with stools.

Unless she looks like she is actually in pain then I wouldn't worry -- that would be an appropriate amount of fibre/veg for raw and you can supplement with raw carrots, green peppers, banana etc -- all fibre filled foods. Really, you will not see the type of stool you are used to in the past on dry or wet foods, on a raw diet -- the stool should be hard and fairly dry. A dog should strain a bit to pass a stool; all of mine do; they have to engage muscles. This is normal. A teaspoon or two of oil a few times a week can help the coat and help with stools.

Thanks so much. I do feel that she is getting a very good diet now, so will stop worrying unless she is constipated. That has not happened yet. Two small poops a day now. What a change for the better!

I also feed raw and they have small firm poops. It's a lot better to pick up! I offer wondered when I was a child why there was white dog poop around, now I know why! Lol

All 3 of mine are on raw (Nature's Variety, Stella and Chewy, and Primal) and that is exactly how their stools are. Very small and very firm. It does take them a little more "effort" but it's totally normal. It's really wild.....we have to catch Shelby's because on a walk they will roll down hill and if we don't pick them up right away they become very light, chalky and white. Been on raw for about 4 years and absolutely love it.

Yay! Glad to hear she is doing better. And welcome to the world of raw feeding! Polly does awesome on it. You might want to also add a probiotic/digestive supplement to her food to help with her poops and food transition. I have found Prozyme to be the best :)

Thanks all!!!!

soooooooo helpful to know this is normal poop! After so many weeks with runny poop, did not know the good stuff when I saw it! :*nana:

After so many weeks with runny poop, did not know the good stuff when I saw it!

Bless your heart, I can well imagine the learning curve after all you and Gracie have been through. Raw diet poops so are much smaller than kibble diets.

Back