PDA

View Full Version : Hello from me and my two elderly gentlemen

Curlyminx
22nd May 2011, 08:09 PM
Hello all, I've been reading this forum for a while now, and thought it was about time to join in.

I'm Debs, I'm married to Bryon and I'm lucky enough to share my home with 2 nearly 15 year old cavaliers.

My boys have been healthy for most of their lives, but in the last 2 or 3 years have started to show their age.

My tri, Cracker, has mini-strokes which the vet assures me aren't related to any of the CKCS common problems but are due to his age.

Jacob, my bleinham has had issues with his pancreas - and memorably once with his liver - so he is on pancrex with his food. He also has a bad back, we limp around together in the mornings before we get ourselves moving more freely.

They both have minor heart murmurs, which thankfully didn't need treatment until very recently.

They are both still happy little chaps, who wag through life, and I love them to bits.

We've had other dogs in the past, so having only 2 seems quite strange.

I've been wondering if a new dog would be a good plan or not, with my two being a bit on the creaky side. They still run around like mad puppies, so maybe a younger dog would be good for them. On the other hand, I've rescued dogs before so maybe an older dog who needs a new home would be good. All advice gratefully received :-)

StillPooh
22nd May 2011, 09:06 PM
icon_welcome

I am so excited to hear about cavaliers reaching such ripe old ages! cl*p We lost our rescue before he was ten, from advanced heart disease. Our 7 1/2 year old is epileptic, and there's no telling if that will shorten his life expectancy. But we just adore cavs too much to give up, so we added a new baby 2 weeks ago. Clancy is amazingly tolerant of the baby, and I'm betting your old guys would be, too.

team bella
22nd May 2011, 09:15 PM
Wow fantastic, its great to hear of a couple of oldies and pleased to meet you.:)
Would love to see some pics if you can,

Curlyminx
22nd May 2011, 09:17 PM
Thanks for the enthusiastic welcome :-) I know we are lucky to still have them, it always catches us out when we realise how old they are as they don't act that way most of the time.

Glad your new addition fitted in so well, that's good to know :-D

Curlyminx
22nd May 2011, 09:19 PM
Here they are sleeping on the sofa - it's their favourite thing to do at the moment ;-)
http://tapatalk.com/mu/56a6040e-6fbf-1c1c.jpg

Karlin
22nd May 2011, 09:27 PM
Welcome! How fantastic that you have not just one but two at such a wonderful age. I just love how beautiful the oldies look -- we will all enjoy more pictures! :D

robbieswan
22nd May 2011, 09:32 PM
Welcome to the forum. Hope to see more pics of the guys !

ByFloSin
22nd May 2011, 09:58 PM
I have a really soft spot for the golden oldies so am delighted to hear about your wonderful boys who are looking absolutely great for their age.

I have had Cavaliers for 28 years now and have had several live to similar ages and one who reached 16 yrs 10 mths. I knew it was time to say goodbye when the look in his eyes said 'There's nothing left for me to enjoy any more, please let me go'. So I took him straight to the vet.

I have always mixed the oldies with young pups and never had a problem. :)The oldies will soon tell a puppy if it is being a nuisance.:mad:

Curlyminx
22nd May 2011, 10:13 PM
Thanks everyone :-D

I'll dig out more photos of them I promise.

Great to hear of other old cavies - I know I'll do the right thing for them if they need me to, but at the moment they are still full of fun, if slightly creaky in Jake's case.

Good to hear of older dogs getting on well with others too, I shall have to start looking! ;-)

gamefanz
22nd May 2011, 11:22 PM
Welcome!
As a newbie to the Cav breed, it gives me hope that a cav can live that long. They look so cute!

Becky

Mindysmom
23rd May 2011, 01:54 AM
We got Max when our Mindy was nearly 11. We had recently lost our Golden who we had before we got Mindy and our youngest had gone away to school. Max brought her new live even if he wanted to play FAR more than she did. Rylie came along when she was 12. By then she was done with pups and wasn't keen on another one but Rylie won her over and was even able to cuddle with her as long as he backed into her:p (Max was a great ear puller and she wasn't about to go through THAT again).

Blondiemonster
23rd May 2011, 03:40 AM
Welcome. More pictures please!!:-D:-D

Jasper and Holly
23rd May 2011, 06:42 AM
Welcome. It's lovely to see two older Cavs. Look forward to seeing more photos.

BrooklynMom
23rd May 2011, 10:31 AM
I love that pic. They are so cute. And good on them for being the cutest oldies ever!!!

Starski
23rd May 2011, 02:11 PM
What a sweet pair of old gentlemen...thanks for showing their pic. I hope they have a bit longer with you and enjoy the
golden years.

Cathy T
23rd May 2011, 04:20 PM
Love seeing your senior citizens :) They are both so beautiful.

Brian M
23rd May 2011, 04:25 PM
Hi

What a lovely photo of two beautiful boys ,more pics pls .:)

Desrae
23rd May 2011, 10:28 PM
Hello and welcome to Cavaliertalk! Your two gentlemen are really lovely-- and wow, 15 years old! Fantastic. Thank you for sharing your picture and looking forward to seeing more.

mommytoClaire
24th May 2011, 02:15 AM
What a wonderful story!

I know you asked our opinions of what to do.......a pup or a rescue. I guess if I was you, I'd let my heart lead. I know that if you post where you're located many here can help you find Rescues that have Cav's available.

Looking forward to getting to know you!

Curlyminx
24th May 2011, 09:00 AM
Thanks for all the welcomes and advice everyone. I'm in Southampton in the UK.

team bella
24th May 2011, 10:30 PM
love the picture, two lovely gentlemen :l*v:

Margaret C
25th May 2011, 12:00 AM
Here they are sleeping on the sofa - it's their favourite thing to do at the moment ;-)
http://tapatalk.com/mu/56a6040e-6fbf-1c1c.jpg

I'm in love :l*v:

mishy
25th May 2011, 01:22 AM
Welcome to the board. What a fantastic age your cavaliers are! I love the photo and look forward to some more pictures of these lovely old gentlemen.