• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Anal Glands - Success

Tania

Despite using the vets prescribed Pro-Fibre, a cosistent diet and religiously taking the dogs for a Vet Check every 4-5 weeks. I have had continual issues with all three dogs with either full, impacted and occasionally infected glands.

Fifteen weeks ago I ditched the pro-fibre and changed to Oatbran, the brand I use is Mornflake (100% oatbran) however, I don't think the brand is important.

Our first visit after starting, the anal glands were about half full but there was a definate improvement. 2nd and finally 3rd visit all three dogs were completely clear.

Thought I would post this as another idea to throw into the hat for any sore bottoms out there.

5369576569_9605549b6c.jpg

Oatbran, eh? I'll have to give it a try with Rose. Is that a processed product or like whole oats that you cook oatmeal with (not the instant, sugared/flavored kind, but just oats)?
Wheat has helped some, but not completely (going every 6-8 weeks to have her glands done now instead of every 4 *sigh*).
Thanks!

Oh same...I am interested (never thought I would be "interested" in anal glands before!)

How much per day do you feed? Is that in addition to her regular food? I feed Brooklyn dry food for instance, would I just add on top?

Thanks...every "anal" tip is worth it!! :)

Just had a terrible problem with a ruptured anal gland with Lucy. The vet expressed -- with difficulty -- her other gland which was impacted and the gunk that came out was the consistency of a dried paste -- really awful. But at leastnow she is more comfortable all around and healing from the ruptured gland -- worst I have seen in my dogs though it doesn't seem to cause too much pain, thankfully.

She said in part that was due to age; I think maybe all her meds as well which also give her some constipation. She recommended fibre so will try oat bran (I get it in a bag on its own -- love it in cereal myself). I have also heard of people using say half a crumbled wheatabix or oatabix. I would think a tablespoon of a cereal or a heaping teaspoon of actual oatbran would be about right? interested to know your amounts too, Tania.

Hi

I have been adding daily to their food two teaspoons of Holland ans Barrett's Natural Pure Bran and also two Wheetabix bite size for breakfast ,I presume this is all the same stuff .? And no scoots or vet visits for gland problems for a long time .:)

Thought it might be worth mentioning, if anyone is adding wheat bran to the diet I heard it is best toasted beforehand as apparently it can reduce the bodies ability to absorb vitamins/minerals from the diet when given untoasted. On the whole I think oat bran is a better option - and as Tanya's cavs are testament - it works :)

Hi Tania,
It is a constant battle in this house with Anal glands:( Leo is on the Pro-fribre at the moment.

Where do you buy your oatbran from and how much do you use?

I'll try anything:wink:

Just about any larger supermarket has oat bran -- there's two brands at my nearby Tesco. Health food stores also carry it.

Hi

I have been adding daily to their food two teaspoons of Holland ans Barrett's Natural Pure Bran and also two Wheetabix bite size for breakfast ,I presume this is all the same stuff .? And no scoots or vet visits for gland problems for a long time .:)

It might be wheat bran but if it works, stick with it :grin:

Where do you buy your oatbran from and how much do you use?

I got mine from the health food store and I use two teaspoons morning and evening . Nicki got some from the supermarket and sent me a little to compare, it looked identical.

Oatbran, eh? I'll have to give it a try with Rose. Is that a processed product or like whole oats that you cook oatmeal with (not the instant, sugared/flavored kind, but just oats)?
Wheat has helped some, but not completely (going every 6-8 weeks to have her glands done now instead of every 4 *sigh*).
Thanks!

Sorry, I missed this question. It looks as though it is ground. It is 100% natural and the article does say it lowers cholestral, I know Cavaliers don't have this problem, I just spotted this bit of information after. If anyone would like me to send them some if they are not sure, please e mail me and I will pop some in the post for you. [email protected]

http://www.mornflake.com/products/oatbran/oatbran_bag.php

Last edited:
Pumpkin

It was suggested to me to add pumpkin. I just learned how to express the dogs glands myself and it's pretty easy albeit disgusting.

Pumpkin is good for fibre as well though it needs to be plain pumpkin, not the premixed pie filling with additives.

Tania thanks for the image -- I was thinking you were talking about a breakfast cereal, but that is plain old oatbran :D -- Tesco does an own-brand version too, and most supermarkets will carry at least one brand of it in the cereals section. People should find it very easy to find. Quaker offers it in the US I think. Health food stores would all carry oatbran too. I actually like it on its own as a hot cereal.

Hi

And thanks Clairelou ,do we presume then that Oat Bran is the preference over Wheat Bran.:rolleyes:

Thanks for thatcl*p
The pro-fibre at the vet cost me £18, it's £15 on Amazon. I dont mind the price if it works but I'll give this a whirl.

Im off to Asda

Hi Mel

Like Tania I used pro fibre from Vet Uk but to be honest not a big effect so maybe Oat Bran is the way to go .:)What also helps me is that
I feed RAW so they all have very firm poops which of course helps to exprees the glands on exit .

Last edited:
My Sophie used to have awful trouble with her anal gland, I used to give her toasted wheat bran, added it to the diet for at least 12 month before abandoning as it was no help - she had to have her anal gland expressed by the vet every 4 weeks religiously.

Back