• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

AXA Pet Insurance Statement Clarifying Annual Boosters "UK only"

Brian M

Hi

This is copy of email statement sent to me by my pet insurers AXA today .

Dear Mr B Murtagh

As per our telephone conversation, the vaccinations don’t necessarily have to be kept up to date for your cover to continue. However, any claim that is submitted that could have been prevented by having the vaccination would not be covered. Anything unrelated to these vaccines, for example lameness, could not have been prevented regardless of them being administered or not, and therefore would not affect the outcome of a claim such as this. If you have any further questions regarding this please don’t hesitate to call us on 0845 900 4145.

So with the agreement of my insurers AXA it will be three years then a titre test for all of them but I shall still take them in for their annual check up .

Interesting. useful to have that in writing and I would keep it. Basically it means unless your dogs get distemper or parvo or in some cases corona virus, then the issue of core vaccines doesn't matter -- those are the only conditions covered by the core vaccines.

Keep in mind there may be an issue of the individual vaccines your vet would recommend in your area -- eg lepto. But again presumably the coverage relates only to the illness that was not prevented by a dog not having a vaccine.

Thank you for sharing Brian.

For what it's worth, I think you are doing the right thing. I have met people who are absolutely sure that their dogs have been harmed by excessive vaccinations.

Thanks Brian! I definitely am going to do titers...

We only are required to make sure she has rabies shot... the others are not mandated. Since not going to a day care but playing with neighborhood doggies now, not as worried about the others. Our insurance coverage also is fine unless it is directly related to the vaccine not given.

Well I am seeing my vet tomorrow. Wish me luck.

He is happy to do the blood tests. I can see a catch on this so my question before he does them will be “ how much immunity must they still have to just get a booster?

I just changed vets and they were great with Ebony’s Luxating Patella, but I just don’t trust them on this booster issue. Can I have a print out of the tests and have them analysed somewhere else?

I would print out the links I have to major med schools like Univ of Calif at Davis stating that core vaccines are only needed 3 years apart (as well as the major US vet organisation saying the same). This absolutely negates their stating a dog would need to start its puppy series again for missing a 1 year booster -- and maybe educate them about the serous issues that can arise from over vaccinating.

You should get a copy of the tests. I don't know about bothering having them interpreted elsewhere -- I think it is pretty straightforward.

If you don't trust your vets on any issue I would change vets. That isn't a very good basis for a relationship over the lifetime of your dog where you need to be able to trust their judgement but also feel you can discuss doubts or be allowed to have a different opinion.

Back