• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Kiddie wading pools and lawn sprinklers.... experiences with them?

GraciesMom

We had a great thread recently on helping Cavvies deal with the heat... learned so much. Related to that, I wanted specific feedback on using those small baby swimming pools or lawn sprinklers during hot days. Definitely with full supervision, of course.

This is similar to what what I had in mind for the pool but you all may have other ideas.
http://www.amazon.com/Snapset-Backyard-Fish-Swimming-Pool/dp/B000ND8GL4

I could make it a bit deeper for swimming around. Do most Cavaliers enjoy this type of cooling off on hot days? We have a great screened porch and fenced deck.

What about lawn sprinklers... do Cavvies ever enjoy playing in them or just hate them! Will try using a neighbor's to test but would love to know your experiences.

Last edited:
Clancy is horrified of pools. We had one where we lived when we got him, and on the hottest Louisiana days I would carry him into it and sit on the steps with him on my lap. You'd think I was killing him for how badly he freaked out. He would watch me swimming like he thought I'd lost my mind.

He's never seen a sprinkler. He doesn't thrill to baths, either.

Dillon (aka Princess Pretty Paws) loathed getting wet, in any way shape or form.

Oliver is just a baby, so we shall see what he thinks when he's older. :grin:

Guinness used to hate getting wet, then one day he changed his mind. I kept the pool very shallow at first (just coating the bottom), now he lays down in it to cool off -it's still only about an inch or 2 deep. Thistle loves everything pools, sprinklers, rivers.

Luka and Atlas like to dip up to their torso's and Luka will swim in a lake after ducks. He's been in a hard plastic pool before and not enjoyed it at all. The softer/harder plastic would seem like a choking hazard.

They have cooling blankets. I would not recommend a wading pool unless it is the hard plastic kind.

Generally the dogs don't like sprinklers they prefer a lake or pond or sometimes ocean shore.

That's why it must be supervised at all times!

I agree Brian that we all need to be very careful... I would NEVER suggest that any dog be left to play in any pool or pond unsupervised and NO opportunity to get water in the lungs. If you watch them, you can keep this from happening. I do wonder though since this dogs often like to swim, how do people avoid them diving for things in the pond and doing the same thing? I have seen some others' dogs who dive after things in a local pond... do I need to warn them about this??

Hi Ladies

Not to put a dampner on this but read this thread from a few years ago ,it is very sad .

http://www.cavaliertalk.com/forums/...ng...need-prayers-and-hope&highlight=drowning

What an awful sad story. As most of you would know I have just post a video of my two at the beach from our trip down the coast in April. We have just got back from our last trip from there last weekend too. We have been going there for the last 8 or more years even with our last dog. It has certainly made me think about it but I don't think it will stop me going to the beach with them. Holly is the one who retrieves from the water Jasper won't put his mouth in it! Lol. I will have to make sure she doesn't fetch the ball from the water from now on. Thanks Brian. I'm sure it wouldn't be common happening everyday. Heaps of dogs love retrieving from water. I think it's just tragic.

I'm sure it wouldn't be common happening everyday. Heaps of dogs love retrieving from water. I think it's just tragic.
ITA with Deb. That was a tragic, sad accident. But plenty of dogs retrieve every day from the water- heck, they're bred for that! My brother's Golden Retriever hauls ducks from deep water every year, without incident.

Not that I would ever recommend leaving a dog around water unsupervised.

When it was really hot last year we brought a small paddling pool for Leo to cool off in. He was terrified of it, my daughters managed to coax him in to it but he wasnt too happy. He wouldnt stay in it on his own, every time Katie got out so did Leo.
5757921526_1c25ed8256_z.jpg

Leo has such a beautiful coat. My two didn't like the sea on their first visit to the beach but they have got to love it the more we go.

Such a cute photo!!!

Meljoy, this is just what Gracie would probaly do! Just stand there for a bit and get out. Thanks all for your thoughts on this....maybe I can borrow a puddling pool as a trial.

Back