• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Extra Tick Protection

Chamberlain

This Memorial Day weekend my Husband, the dogs and I are going to Gettysburg, PA. It holds a special place in our hearts because it was where we decided we would get another a dog, a Cavalier, and came up with his name. (Chamberlain after COL. Joshua Chamberlain from the 20th Maine, a famous Civil War soldier)

My worry is ticks. Both dogs are on flea and tick medication, however, last Monday I picked off TEN ticks from Chamberlain just from a short walk in the woods. Both dogs have started the Lyme disease shots (a series of two) they go for their next shot on 3 June. (Maryland has a HUGE tick problem btw)

My question is does anyone know of a good tick collar we could buy or anything else we could do to prevent the ticks I know we will pick up from the battlefields in PA?

Thanks! :paw:

I would worry about overdosing your dogs by using flea collars when they're already on systemic prevention. But I am paranoid about using anything on my epileptic cavalier, so we just pick off ticks as we find them.

I can highly recommend Neem Pet Guard, it is natural and won't harm your dogs. I know lots of people who use it and they swear by it. I have given you a link so you can read about it now but research it, I think you will be impressed.

I feed the sticks to all three of my dogs, they do not have plaque on their teeth and I have never had to clean them. The vets they see are always suprised and impressed at the condition of their teeth. As a word of caution, you shouldn't feed Neem Sticks to pregnant girlies.

http://www.mekuti.co.uk/neem.htm#Guard

Nalu has had the Lymes Vaccination but ticks also carry other diseases. I've had Lymes disease twice, so I use Frontline on her. Without using Frontline I was finding many ticks on her every day. With Frontline I don't find any on her. I would prefer an effective repellent that isn't such a harsh chemical.

Last edited:
This Memorial Day weekend my Husband, the dogs and I are going to Gettysburg, PA. It holds a special place in our hearts because it was where we decided we would get another a dog, a Cavalier, and came up with his name. (Chamberlain after COL. Joshua Chamberlain from the 20th Maine, a famous Civil War soldier)

My worry is ticks. Both dogs are on flea and tick medication, however, last Monday I picked off TEN ticks from Chamberlain just from a short walk in the woods. Both dogs have started the Lyme disease shots (a series of two) they go for their next shot on 3 June. (Maryland has a HUGE tick problem btw)

My question is does anyone know of a good tick collar we could buy or anything else we could do to prevent the ticks I know we will pick up from the battlefields in PA?

Thanks! :paw:

I keep my dogs hair short for many reasons, this being one of them.

I feed the sticks to all three of my dogs, they do not have plaque on their teeth and I have never had to clean them.

LOL...I had to read this twice, as I thought it said "I feed the TICKS to all three dogs" i was like...whaaaa?? :shock: Hahaha

I keep my dogs hair short for many reasons, this being one of them.
I never thought about it till you mentioned this, but Clancy used to get tons more ticks before I started clipping him! And more times than not, I've found them while they were still crawling on him, before they'd dug in. (y)

Back