• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Dental Care

goda

How often do you brush your dogs teeth?

My vet has been very insistent that we brush their teeth daily but I brush them 2-3 times a week.

Good question. I try 3 times a week. I worry that it is not a very good brush though because she moves about a lot and I can't quiet always reach all the teeth front and back.

Hi

Its a subject I have posted about on many occasions but I will list my nightly duties below but please make an allowance for me as I do know I am over the top on this and poss a little eccentric but its a nightly routine that I do and the girls love and expect from me ,so her we go .:eek:I always brush after their tea and all four sit in line and try to push there way to be first in the queue and each has their own brush .

1 ) Brush with Vibrac CET enzymatic toothpaste
2 ) Brush with Logic Oral Gel toothpaste
3 ) Brush with Petzlife Oral Gel
4 ) Brush with Dentagen Plaque Inhibition toothpaste
5 ) Give A Logic Oral Small Dog Chew
6 ) Spray with Petzlife Oral Spray

I also add Vet Aquadent solution to their drinking water and I ask Dawn to spray their teeth twice while I am at work using K9 tooth cleaning spray and I add Plaque Off to their food .As I said its totally excessive but I fear them having a G.A. just so the vet can clean their teeth.

Hi

Its a subject I have posted about on many occasions but I will list my nightly duties below but please make an allowance for me as I do know I am over the top on this and poss a little eccentric but its a nightly routine that I do and the girls love and expect from me ,so her we go .:eek:I always brush after their tea and all four sit in line and try to push there way to be first in the queue and each has their own brush .

1 ) Brush with Vibrac CET enzymatic toothpaste
2 ) Brush with Logic Oral Gel toothpaste
3 ) Brush with Petzlife Oral Gel
4 ) Brush with Dentagen Plaque Inhibition toothpaste
5 ) Give A Logic Oral Small Dog Chew
6 ) Spray with Petzlife Oral Spray

I also add Vet Aquadent solution to their drinking water and I ask Dawn to spray their teeth twice while I am at work using K9 tooth cleaning spray and I add Plaque Off to their food .As I said its totally excessive but I fear them having a G.A. just so the vet can clean their teeth.

Oh mine hate it and I have the good vanilla toothpaste and the nice gentle brush. However we suffer through it. I have a scraper thingy for hard yellow plaque. Mine won't touch the Aquadent solution water.

Nothing wrong with excessive as long as it keeps them healthy. My vet has said that Luka's teeth look great.

I just saw another dogs teeth whose owner obviously does not brush, and it's gums were bleeding (it wasn't a cavalier). I was so sad for it.

I do not brush my dogs teeth.

I give them a natural neem stick three times per day. Neem is made from a bark of a tree grown in SE Asia they kill mouth bacteria which causes plaque. There are other benefits like flea control and they repel worms.
Two of my dogs I have owned since they were puppies and they do not have plaque problems, they are now four. The other dog I got when she was three, her teeth were not good but they are plaque free now.
My dogs are under the care of two vets and they are both impressed with the condition of their teeth.

This is one of the websites that will give you better information.
http://www.mekuti.co.uk/neem.htm

this website I would recommend as they are cheaper and they have other natural treats as well.
http://www.nelsonspetfoods.com/treats.php

Thank you for that. I will order some.

I did try Plaque Off a couple of years ago. Over a period of time I used a £60 tub of it as directed, during which time Rebel had to have half his teeth extracted. I went back to giving them Logic after that, which is quite good, but if the Neem Sticks work even better, then I will be well pleased.

Since using Logic Rebel's teeth haven't even needed a scaling, but Winston's are a very different story.

I sound bad now...I brush my dog's teeth once a week! I did just order some scrapers to have tools handy if I ever need to get plaque off. I am interested in those bark chews, hmm...

I use plaque off and petzlife spray for mine. When OH has time he brushes their teeth, but they hate it. I can sort of do Maddie's but Pippin squirms and is much too strong for me to hold still.
They also have a Fish4Dogs sea jerky twist every night after their night time walk, which serves as a lovely low fat treat, and has an abrasive action to help keep their teeth clean.

Deb...I just went to the site you listed, and they ship to Australia! Not the cheapest (8 pounds, which is $12 AUD), but they still do ;) I might get a big shipment of them. Do you think they will get caught up in customs?

Yes that's what I thought too. Because I have been thinking about importing things myself and it's so difficult to get a certain things into the country. I have searched everywhere for them in Australia but so far nothing. I will keep looking and will let you know if I find anything. By the way I found sweet potato chews, at last, I now know what the texture is like and I have a batch dehydrating at the moment so all being well they will turn out good this time.

Back