• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Need bed for hip dysplasia

MishathePooh

Any ideas? I will probably get a memory foam. Misha was just diagnosed due to xrays for other reasons. The vet just said keep his weight down and use a good quality bed. Keep muscles in good shape too.

Can't advise on beds, but on keeping muscles in good shape, hydrotherapy would probably help, if you have a pool anywhere near and your insurance will cover it. And steady walking on lead will build muscle, which helps to hold the joint together. Running free will keep the weight off - plus the inevitable Cavalier diet, of course!

Kate, Oliver and Aled

Good advice from Kate. I would check out the memory foam, you might find it too hard even though it is supposed to mould!

He is at a good weight and swims in my lake several times a week during the summer. We will look into underwater treadmill when the weather turns.

This crate pad says it's 33% more cushioning than memory foam. Click here.

Lucky you to have your own lake - my garden just about has room for a bird bath! But Oliver jumps into every bit of water he can find...

Kate, Oliver and Aled

When I first moved to my own apartment, I moved every two years. I can't drag myself away from our lake though so am "stuck" here! Usually I swim a mile every day in nice weather.

I just noticed that not all memory foam is non toxic, so I will probably splurge on the little guy and get him a Buddy Bed. My only worry is that he won't use it.

Thats the thing with lovely beds- I look at so many and think of how comfy they look!! BUT I know that they would never use one- they are sofa dogs through and through!

But I do know that the swimming really really does do wonders!!

We have had the bed for several weeks now. Misha seems much jauntier lately, so I truly hope it's helping. He also now sleeps on his memory foam bed at night instead of in bed with us - so we know it's comfortable!

Since he does seem more lively lately, I would recommend a good memory foam bed for any dog with arthritis/joint issues. If we could have afforded it, a human memory foam bed would have been a good alternative :D

I bought a "Mammoth" memory foam dog bed a couple of years ago when Sammy was diagnosed with Spondolysis (something like spinal rheumatism). It seemed to have the thickest memory foam insert for the money, washable covers, and I liked that it had raised sides for his head - which also helps with Sammy's SM.

I think it has been good for him and he's liked it - after he got over his initial annoyance at me taking away his lumpy red cushion. He actually peed on the new bed in protest the first night and went into living room to sleep.

I was annoyed that they implied on their UK website that the bed would be delivered from the UK. When it actually arrived from Canada, I had to pay a lot in customs. Otherwise, I've been pleased with it.

Sorry - I know you found a good bed already. Just wanted to share :eek:

Back