• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Disgusting ticks everywhere!

Soushiruiuma

The other day I took the dogs for a walk in the woods, I pulled a tick off of thistle the next morning. Since then I have found 2 more ticks, on my bedroom walls. I'm so disgusted I don't know what to do!

Obviously I will be cleaning the entire house top to bottom, but what should I be using to treat the house, carpets, beds, etc. to kill any remaining ticks? Both dogs are on sentinel which is a tick preventative, so I'm the only family member that isn't protected. My entire body feels all crawly at just the thought of these things in my house. Ugh!

I saw the posts about neem products, and I'll definitely get some of those for the dogs, but what about for me?

I Hate them too!

They're horrible creatures, the dogs always get loads when we go on holiday to Scotland, and despite my best efforts we always seem to bring some home with us.:( My vet recommended RIP Flea spray for the house as it works against ticks as well. It only needs to be sprayed once a year. I'm not sure if you can get it in the US, but there will be other products. Ask at your vets, they should be able to suggest something. And good luck with getting rid of the horrible little things.

they are a bit horrible!! We went to Devon last weekend and the dogs were crawling with them!! Thanksfully I took the Tic remover!! I think I removed around forty between them!! One place we went was Watersmeet where you could see them crawling over the dogs :/ My hubby was flicking them off.. A dose of Advocate was in order on Monday when we got back!!
The other thing I would say is not to pull them off as there is a risk of part if the Tic being left behind (Very nasty!!) You can buy a Tic remover at most vets very cheaply. Thank goodness we had our with us as I had a Tic attached to my ankle!! Not a very nice experience I can tell you, the area went very sore and swollen...

One recommendation and is safe for dogs

First... wash all dog bedding and anything else that Thistle lays on regularly. The folks here recommended using Food Grade Diatomaceous Earth to feed dogs as a natural preventative....but it looks like it can be VERY lightly sprinkled around areas you have seen ticks after you clean very thoroughly. When you clean, use vinegarYou can usually buy at Home Depot but also http://www.amazon.com/Diatomaceous-Earth-Food-Grade-10/dp/B00025H2PY

Here is info on using it: http://wolfcreekranch1.tripod.com/diatomaceous_earth_fleas.html

I would definitely be very careful about going in the woods where you live this time of year... same for us here. We have a high tick population.

Good luck!! I keep checking Gracie every time we go out in the yard.

I dread this year. We've had the wettest Spring I remember, which means lots of ticks and fleas! I'd rather go natural, but don't know if that is possible.

I dread this year. We've had the wettest Spring I remember, which means lots of ticks and fleas! I'd rather go natural, but don't know if that is possible.

We've had the driest spring here. I grew up here, but even people who've been here 50-60 years are saying we've never gone this long without rain. I try to stay with natural cleaners, but I even bought bleach for cleaning this weekend.

I have lived in this area on and off for 20 years, and have only very rarely seen ticks. 3 in a week is a huge number.

Both dogs are on sentinel which is a tick preventative, so I'm the only family member that isn't protected. My entire body feels all crawly at just the thought of these things in my house. Ugh!

I usually don't have much trouble with ticks, but I've found three this year so far - one on Tucker that had just attached and two on ME which were crawling loose. The ones on me were found after I was outside doing yard work. I try to keep the dogs away from brush/shrubbery, etc. I've always heard that wet weather promotes fleas and dry weather promotes ticks but I have never researched to see if this is true or not.

First of all, Sentinel does nothing for ticks - it is only for heartworm and fleas - and it doesn't kill fleas, it just makes them sterile so they can't reproduce. This insures that you won't have a flea infestation in your home from fleas laying eggs, but it doesn't kill the fleas that are on your dog and of course does nothing for dogs that have flea allergy.

http://www.sentinelpet.com/product_page.html

As far as treatment in the house, ticks are pretty resistant to all but the strongest chemicals, and I'm not willing to use them in the house. Yet I've never had an infestation problem of fleas or ticks in the house. Vacuuming thoroughly frequently and emptying bin/changing bag are helpful. The main worry in the house is if a tick lays eggs somewhere and they hatch - happened to several people I know and you have hundreds of baby ticks.

Ticks will only lay eggs after they have had a blood meal - so the main thing is to check your dogs over thoroughly every day to remove any ticks that are attached. An engorged tick will stay on a dog for several days so if you are consistent, you should find any ticks pretty early before they are engorged. I keep a jar of isopropol alcohol and drop ticks in the jar if I find any. Also, tick borne diseases aren't transmitted until a tick is attached for a day or so and has fed that long, so a thorough daily tick check will go a long way toward preventing TBD.

If a tick has a blood meal and drops off, she'll look for a quiet dark cool place to lay eggs. This could be in storage boxes under your bed (happened to one friend) or between mattress and box springs (happened to me when I was a teenager still at my parents' house) or in shoe boxes in a closet or similar. So - when you clean be sure to check under beds and places like that - dark cracks and crevices, etc.

I don't use flea/tick products on my dogs, but I do keep Frontline Plus on hand and would use it as needed if I saw an alarming number of fleas or ticks. (Despite other threads on Frontline problems, I believe that's the safest product - I won't use Advantix or tick collars or anything that contains permethrins or pyrethrins because I am convinced those are dangerous and they absolutely kill cats and I have a cat.) A very thorough daily check of all dogs will tell you if you have a serious flea or tick problem.

I use my fingernails or tweezers to very carefully and SLOWLY remove an attached tick and I've never had a problem after removal on myself or the dogs. Maybe I've just been lucky.

Pat

During tick season I limit my walks with Nalu to sidewalks and beaches. It's just not worth the risk. She still picks up ticks from the yard even though we keep it short.

Back