• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Puppy Weight

WendyH

Does anybody know what the weight roughly should be for my 14 week old Cavalier, I have read different stories. I weighed her today and she is 8lb

Mine weighed 8 lbs at 18 weeks and at 16 months she's 11.5. She was always on the small side and doesn't have a good appetite.

I'm wondering the same thing. Bentley is exactly 6 months old now and seems big to us. He's also very long. He will be weighed again on June 1 when he is neutered, but at about 4 1/2 months he weighed 13.5 lbs. At what age do they finish growing? I know he'll remain a puppy for quite a while longer but am not sure when they quit growing.

Brooklyn is 7 months old and weighs 5.8 kg (which is around 12.7 pounds). She is really long, and I think tall, but she is lean.

Brooklyn bursted with growth at 3 months and I was so scared she would be a giant ;) but the she just leveled off big time. Im sure she still has another growth spurt in there somewhere too.

They keep gaining weight generally to about 12 months. There's a post on estimated adult weight in the Library section. It is very hard to guess final size from puppy size as there are many different factors. Generally they are about half adult size at around 3.5-4 months but this is only a very very rough estimate.

I'm wondering the same thing. Bentley is exactly 6 months old now and seems big to us. He's also very long. He will be weighed again on June 1 when he is neutered, but at about 4 1/2 months he weighed 13.5 lbs. At what age do they finish growing? I know he'll remain a puppy for quite a while longer but am not sure when they quit growing.

I learned this morning when I left Bentley for his "surgery" that he now weighs 18 lbs! No wonder I thought he was big! He was 6 months on May 26. When I pick him up this afternoon at the vet's I'll find out if he thinks he's too fat.

I learned this morning when I left Bentley for his "surgery" that he now weighs 18 lbs! No wonder I thought he was big! He was 6 months on May 26. When I pick him up this afternoon at the vet's I'll find out if he thinks he's too fat.

Sure enough, the vet let me know that Bentley is overweight. He's suggesting slowly transitioning to adult food now. And, by the way, he acts almost 100% after his surgery. It's hard not to play fetch with him when he brings the toy, drops it at my feet and looks up at me in anticipation!

My cavalier is 5.7 lbs at 14 weeks, is this good weight too? Also he doesn't seem to eat much, I am going to transition him to Merrick Puppy plate from Purina puppy chow (what the breeder told me to give him). I have been doing extensive reading on dog food, and I have learned how bad those commercial grocery dog food are, like Purina for example... The breeder told me to switch him from puppy chow to Purina Healthy Radiance at 6 months. Should I be switching him to adult food then at 6 months? What does everyone thing about Merrick Puppy Plate?

Thanks!

Luka is all muscle and a slight fat layer (he weighs 21 lbs) and his vet thought he was obese! Cavaliers get up to 25 lbs.. So we've cut out treats.

Cavaliers get up to 25 lbs.
Clancy weighs 37.5 lbs.

He also stands about a third taller than the "average" cavalier.

Oliver at his 10 week vet visit was 5.8 lbs. so I expect there to be quite a visual disparity with these two!

Breed standard for adults is 12-18lbs in Europe and 13-18lbs in the US. Some dogs will naturally fall under or over that weight for a range of reasons and may still be fit (a dog should not weigh within the breed standard; it should weigh whatever is a healthy *lean* weight for its build :).

Many cavaliers are over breed standard, especially males -- it is a lot more common for non-show breeder-bred dogs in particular to be over the standard. For comparison -- easily fewer than 20% of the cavaliers I got into rescue over 7 years were within breed standard.

I wouldn't classify any complete dog food that meets standards as "bad". I know plenty of dogs fed nothing but who have long outlived dogs fed the fussiest premium brands. There's a lot of nonsense and politics around dog food (more so than government politics, believe me! :lol:). Supermarket foods are generally fairly mediocre (the ingredients won;t be the best quality, to keep prices low) and tend to have preservatives and colouring to make them look like they have little coloured veggies etc. :rolleyes: For a small subsection of dogs, such things may cause allergy issues but this is a very small subset of all dogs.

It's funny but the same people who are food dictators tend to be people who happily eat all sorts of human junk food themselves, going on my own encounters... :lol:

I'd not get too worried or worked up about dog foods -- every single one has its supporters and detractors. My advice is to find a few you like that fit your budget and then rotate types -- when one bag is totally finished, try something else or another flavour. Variety for dogs is good. Personally I wouldn't bother feeding puppy food at all. Dogs in the wild would never get anything different from what adult canids eat once weaned and many good breeders advise against feeding puppy foods as being too over-packed with nutrients, causing too fast growth (especially true with giant breeds).

Back