• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Pedigree Dogs Exposed - The Sequel

Pedigree dogs exposed - the sequel

PEDIGREE DOGS EXPOSED -THE SEQUEL

Margaret,

Just read this, what great NEWS ,what a difference the Previous PDE Program made to our Cavaliers by making the Cavalier Buying Public aware particularly about their SM Problem.

I do so hope that the information that has been gathered about Cavaliers since the Last PDE Program will have a use in this Sequel Program.

I am sure it will be of Much Interest to those of us who Genuinely Love Cavaliers.

Bet

Pedigree dogs exposed -the sequel

Margaret,

Just read this, what great NEWS ,what a difference the Previous PDE Program made to our Cavaliers by making the Cavalier Buying Public aware particularly about their SM Problem.

I do so hope that the information that has been gathered about Cavaliers since the Last PDE Program will have a use in this Sequel Program.

I am sure it will be of Much Interest to those of us who Genuinely Love Cavaliers.

Bet

I think Kipling's Poem is so apt for this Thread and it so well known.

BROTHERS AND SISTERS I BID YOU BEWARE OF GIVING YOUR HEART FOR A DOG TO TEAR

SO Many of us who have had Heart-Ache and Tears ,now realize it was Jemima Harrison who tackled the Problem of Bringing to the Fore-Front the Ill Health of Many Pedigree Dogs .

OUR DOGS TRUST US AND WE OWE IT TO THEM TO DO OUR VERY BEST FOR THEM.

If the PDE SEQUEL is as Good as The First, then Hopefully there will be Dogs who will have the Chance of Healthier, Longer Lives particularly our Beloved Cavaliers.

Bet

What is this?

Where does one begin?

PDE was a documentary shown in August 2008. It led to three reports on Dog Breeding in the UK and widespread, if reluctant in many cases, moves to improve the health of purebred dogs

It is on YouTube in different parts and is well worth watching in its entirety. It has changed the dog showing world in the UK, and been shown all over the world, including the USA.

These are the parts that have footage relating to Cavaliers.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pm17MesMFRc

Carol Fowler, who is a member of this forum & I appear in this one........
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yHw2CmDlhCo&feature=related

I agreed to give an interview for the film because for six years, as the Cavalier Club health representative and the owner of a top stud dog that had shown up with late onset SM symptoms, I had been trying to raise awareness of the spread of syringomyelia.
After attending the House of Commons meeting shown in the second clip I was prevented from attending meetings to set up an official MRI scheme despite requests from researchers that I, as the Cavalier Club SM spokesperson, should be allowed to attend.

Show Breeders were so incensed that I had broken the Breeders' unspoken Rule of Silence....... http://letsdiscussjudging.com/Omerta.html ......that they called a Special General Meeting and removed me from the Cavalier Club committee.

There were many cavalier owners that saw the film and realised that their pets were showing SM symptoms. More breeders started MRIing their dogs through low cost schemes that had been largely ignored. These schemes found that over 50% of these young breeding dogs with no symptoms as yet already had SM.

The owner of the BIS dog that was SM affected, a fact widely known as when he was first diagnosed she had shown the scan & certificate to other exhibitors at dog shows, was never held to account by Cavalier Club or Kennel Club as she just refused to answer their letters.

Over three years later it looks as if the official MRI scheme may soon be launched, despite cavalier club foot dragging and the fact that the Cavalier Club banned the Health Representative that replaced me from attending an important meeting earlier this year.

If the film makers revisit this breed they may find that nothing much changes in the mind of the dinosaur Cavalier breeder.

Margaret... I admire you more than I can say...

The awareness you have raised and the courage you had to take a very unpopular stand... I pray that it is does indeed lead to major changes in breeding.

There are long threads from the past on PDE, starting from right after it was aired. These can be found using the various search and keyword functions on the board, for anyone interested.

Our board members Carol and Margaret are two of the key people filmed for the cavalier segments of PDE.

Thanks to this programme, awareness of SM as a breed issue rose. There has been much discussion and argument since about the programme but the facts are that it has had far-ranging impact, and the Kennel Club has begun to make changes they initially claimed were not needed. In adition two groups were set up to examine the welfare implications of dog breeding by parliament in the UK, as a direct result of the programme. So yes: it has been influential on many different levels.

A sequel, on what has happened since, would be timely.

Where does one begin?

PDE was a documentary shown in August 2008. It led to three reports on Dog Breeding in the UK and widespread, if reluctant in many cases, moves to improve the health of purebred dogs

It is on YouTube in different parts and is well worth watching in its entirety. It has changed the dog showing world in the UK, and been shown all over the world, including the USA.

These are the parts that have footage relating to Cavaliers.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pm17MesMFRc

Carol Fowler, who is a member of this forum & I appear in this one........
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yHw2CmDlhCo&feature=related

I agreed to give an interview for the film because for six years, as the Cavalier Club health representative and the owner of a top stud dog that had shown up with late onset SM symptoms, I had been trying to raise awareness of the spread of syringomyelia.
After attending the House of Commons meeting shown in the second clip I was prevented from attending meetings to set up an official MRI scheme despite requests from researchers that I, as the Cavalier Club SM spokesperson, should be allowed to attend.

Show Breeders were so incensed that I had broken the Breeders' unspoken Rule of Silence....... http://letsdiscussjudging.com/Omerta.html ......that they called a Special General Meeting and removed me from the Cavalier Club committee.

There were many cavalier owners that saw the film and realised that their pets were showing SM symptoms. More breeders started MRIing their dogs through low cost schemes that had been largely ignored. These schemes found that over 50% of these young breeding dogs with no symptoms as yet already had SM.

The owner of the BIS dog that was SM affected, a fact widely known as when he was first diagnosed she had shown the scan & certificate to other exhibitors at dog shows, was never held to account by Cavalier Club or Kennel Club as she just refused to answer their letters.

Over three years later it looks as if the official MRI scheme may soon be launched, despite cavalier club foot dragging and the fact that the Cavalier Club banned the Health Representative that replaced me from attending an important meeting earlier this year.

If the film makers revisit this breed they may find that nothing much changes in the mind of the dinosaur Cavalier breeder.

PEDIGREE DOGS EXPOSED-THE SEQUEL

Iv'e just read Margaret's Post , what Worrying Information it gives.

The Low Cost MRI Schemes have found that over 50% of the Young Breeding Cavaliers with no Symptoms as yet , already have SM

Just as alarming is the Information from the FOETAL TISSUE RESEARCH that 85 Whelps ,all had CM .

The Figure from the Researchers mentions that around 90% of Cavaliers have CM.

This is Chacterized between the Brain Being Too Big and the Skull too Small .

This Blocks up the Opening from the Skull into the Spinal Cord and Alters the CEREBRO SPINAL .

As a Result FLUID Filled Cavaties develope within the Spinal Cord Called a SYRINX .

THIS CONDITION IS CALLED SM

Not my Words ,but those of DR C Rusbridge, Neurologist.

Hopefully all this will have been Noted for the Forth- Coming PDE PROGRAM .and mention will be made of the CLIQUE who are now running the CKCS COMMITTEE.

Bet

Is there *any* reason to remain silent on breed issues?

I only ask because I am so astounded that anyone who could proclaim to love a breed of dog would want anything other than to make their (the breed's) lives as healthy as possible.

Is there *any* reason to remain silent on breed issues?

I only ask because I am so astounded that anyone who could proclaim to love a breed of dog would want anything other than to make their (the breed's) lives as healthy as possible.

Breeders/Exhibitors of all breeds can be a strange sub-culture. It is like a sect, they have their own set of 'Alice in Wonderland' values.

There has recently been some rebellion in the ranks, but it is about their right to use chalk and hairspray on their dogs, not because of concerns about health issues.

Jemima Harrison has written about PDE 2 and what is being called the Elnett revolution...........

http://pedigreedogsexposed.blogspot.com/

... There has recently been some rebellion in the ranks, but it is about their right to use chalk and hairspray on their dogs, not because of concerns about health issues. ...

I noticed that. That crowd seems to be angry because it wants the right to continue to defraud the conformation judges. That is what gets their ire up. They've even elevated it to a matter of principle!

I witness so many conformation handlers like this, especially around the poodle ring. This is not just hair spray and chalk, although the air can be so thick with carcinogens that one really should not inhale there. I also am referring to dying coats (they call it "a rinse"), tattooing black on unpigmented portions of noses, cutting tail tendons (what the heck: if it's okay to crop a tail, what possibly could be wrong with cutting a tendon or two?), artificial conjones, etc., etc.

I remembering watching the YouTube links that Margaret posted, when I first came on the board. And my reaction was the same. Horrified at seeing the sweet Cav that just couldn't stop scratching, and hearing that it had to be PTS.

It's horrid what some of the show folks are willing to do to 'win" (Rods list). But how much more horrific is it when they are essentially breeding sick dogs and in essence creating more sick dogs. Ultimately causing dogs to be born that could end up in extreme pain, and not seeming to 'really' care.

I can hardly watch the images of the severely affected dogs. It breaks my heart in two every time.

My thanks to the likes of Margaret and Carol (and many others) who have been willing to sacrifice for the betterment of such a fantastic breed.

I remembering watching the YouTube links that Margaret posted, when I first came on the board. And my reaction was the same. Horrified at seeing the sweet Cav that just couldn't stop scratching, and hearing that it had to be PTS.

It's horrid what some of the show folks are willing to do to 'win" (Rods list). But how much more horrific is it when they are essentially breeding sick dogs and in essence creating more sick dogs. Ultimately causing dogs to be born that could end up in extreme pain, and not seeming to 'really' care.

I can hardly watch the images of the severely affected dogs. It breaks my heart in two every time.

My thanks to the likes of Margaret and Carol (and many others) who have been willing to sacrifice for the betterment of such a fantastic breed.

PEDIGREE DOGS EXPOSED - THE SEQUEL

I think we all will agree how ,for our Cavaliers,how the Public was made so aware about the SM Problem afflicting the Breed because of the First PDE Program.

I do so hope that the Sequel to the First PDE will Revisit as to how our Cavaliers are Faring.

I have just been re-reading an Article written in 2009, which said the CKCS are a Mess.

I am Quoting from it.

" More than 80% of the Cavaliers have Heart Defects ,and more than Half of them die from these Heart Problems.

That it is nearly impossible to get a Truly Healthy Cavalier

The Author of this Article continues by saying why he is Picking on Cavaliers is Simple.

Added to the JAW DROPPING Numbers for Their MVD ,there is now there is now the Staggering Data about SM,a DISORDER of THE BRAIN and SPINAL CORD which may cause Severe Head and Neck Pain and Possible Paralysis.

(My Words Now ,and yet we have some Cavalier Breeders in the CKCS CLUB who seem to be determined to Thwart the Publication of the MRI Results to help Cavalier Buyers the knowledge of which Cavaliers are OK or not)

The Author Finally says that a Recent Study at the American College of Veterinary Radiology showed that out of 64 Cavaliers in the Study 59 had Morphologic Abnormalalities of the Craniocervical Junction .

27 had SM

15 Presented with Clinical signs of SM

Those Cavaliers were mostly from Cavalier Show Breeders ,not because they were thought to be defective Cavaliers"

Here in Britain there is more Disturbing Information about the SM Problem.

85 Whelps were Researched for the Foetal Tissue Research ,all 85 ,,,,,100% had CM ,a Disease Chacterised with the Brain Being too Big for the Skull.

What are some of the CKCS CLUB Breeders who are CLUB MEMBERS mentioning here in Britain, their Big Concern is about what Damage the PDE Sequel will do , no mention of whether the Health Problem in our Beloved Cavaliers has improved .

Bet

It has been known for show cavaliers to have noses dyed or coloured in, and tendons cut on tails to stop them from curling over... :yikes 'The Elnett Revolution'... :rotfl: Great phrase!

It has been known for show cavaliers to have noses dyed or coloured in, and tendons cut on tails to stop them from curling over... :yikes 'The Elnett Revolution'... :rotfl: Great phrase!

I know of one cavalier breeder who tattooed his cavaliers' noses black where pigment was lacking.

Back