• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

KC open registry

The Kennel Club seems to have done this on the quiet, without any press release.
With the lack of information being given out by clubs or health liaison council few breeders will know of this latest move towards openess & honesty.

People in the know have always been able to send for this list but to see that it is being published on the KC website as an Open Register is a great step.

Just as well this forum exists. Breeders are able to read more about the health information available when they visit this pet owners' forum than they will find anywhere else.

It's interesting!
Had a quick peek to see if any surprises were behind any of my three:p.
It's more of a breeder's tool really isn't it?
Just because a puppy's parents are unaffected doesn't mean that a puppy can't inherit MRD via recessive mode of inheritance.
Whether or not puppies are litter screened would be more of interest though, and a lot of current litters would be.This should pick up most cases at an early stage?
I think maybe other breeds have far more MRD issues than cavaliers,it good to see so few in recent times being affected.(y)
Sins

It's interesting!
Had a quick peek to see if any surprises were behind any of my three:p.
It's more of a breeder's tool really isn't it?
Just because a puppy's parents are unaffected doesn't mean that a puppy can't inherit MRD via recessive mode of inheritance.
Whether or not puppies are litter screened would be more of interest though, and a lot of current litters would be.This should pick up most cases at an early stage?
I think maybe other breeds have far more MRD issues than cavaliers,it good to see so few in recent times being affected.(y)
Sins

Yes, it is more a breeder's tool. Because MRD is recessive it will indicate where there are carriers.
There is no DNA test for MRD, so it is useful for breeders to know that they should be scrupulous about checking eyes when using certain lines.

My Ch. Mareve Indiana was clear of MRD but there are a couple of his offspring on the list which means he was a carrier.

Litter screening is very useful to a breeder, identifying affected puppies and helping them to make decisions as to what puppies to discard from a breeding programme.
The results of litter testing are not recorded and the puppies are not identified, so there is room for deception if the litter screening certificate is used to sell puppies.

A word of warning, just because there are some very well known names missing from that list, it does not mean they don't have problems. It more likely means they have not eye tested their cavaliers for many many years.

I love these Open Registries now, thanks to Mate Select, everyone can see that many volume breeders, including some high profile health representatives and breed club committee members, do not eye test their breeding bitches through any of the three eye testing schemes.

Perhaps this will be added to the Cavalier club web site (and other club web sites) so those visiting will be given a heads up as to the latest tool.
All the best
Sue

In the USA, we have had open registries (of sorts) for several years. They are voluntary, which means that the owners need to approve the listing of their dogs on the registry. The CKCSC,USA has an open registry for MVD, for example. Very, very few owners (read: BREEDERS) allow their CKCSs to be listed.

OFA has an open registry, too. It is used "in the breach" so to speak, meaning rarely.

If this new UK registry is mandatory for MDR, then I would expect that there will be a decline in eye exams, as long as the exams are not mandatory.

In the USA, we have had open registries (of sorts) for several years. They are voluntary, which means that the owners need to approve the listing of their dogs on the registry. The CKCSC,USA has an open registry for MVD, for example. Very, very few owners (read: BREEDERS) allow their CKCSs to be listed.

OFA has an open registry, too. It is used "in the breach" so to speak, meaning rarely.

If this new UK registry is mandatory for MDR, then I would expect that there will be a decline in eye exams, as long as the exams are not mandatory.

Eye testing is only mandatory if you are a Kennel Club Accredited Breeder, but it does not stop you using a 'fail' and you do not have to test for heart or SM as they are not official schemes. ( Although I understand there will be a press announcement about the CMSM MRI Scheme soon )

In dog breeding circles voluntary registries mean that only dogs that pass the tests get their names published, unless you are one of the very few ethical breeders around or an indignant owner of an affected cavalier.

The excuse that breeders will stop testing if all results are published has been used since testing started, and is probably true to some extent, but things have changed and such reasoning should no longer stifle the attempts to make dog breeding a more honest process.

Open registries are only a threat to those that want to breed from affected stock.

The long running failure of the heart scheme & the fact that voluntary submission allows breeders to claim they have tested, but just choose not to share the results, indicates that it is time something less open to abuse is tried.

Publishing results and an educated buying public who knows to ask for results, may eventually ensure those that continue breeding are forced to be more responsible about the health of the puppies they breed.

Back