• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Victoria Stilwell: say No to electronic fencing

I agree with Victoria (on many things). They are quite popular in my area (we have never used one) and it's annoying when dogs are roaming loose after the battery in the collar has gone dead. It can also be quite dangerous for the loose dog, as well as the neighbors.

I'm really not a big fan of the invisible fences. More than once I have been walking my dog when a dog (often a large breed) has come charging through their 'invisible' fence and out into the street, scaring the life out of me because I've had to act fast to scoop my dog up into my arms to protect it. Often those dogs go thru the fence in the moment of passion, or the battery is dead on their collars. It's happened both ways to me and each time, the owner did not have a clue their dog was loose.

People also forget that their dogs are completely vulnerable to being attacked inside their electric fences by loose animals.

And anyone can walk in and steal the dogs or harm them. They are just the stupidest idea -- all you need is the dog to run thru that fence one single time and after the jolt he may decide to never come back, bolt in front of a car, run for miles... why can't people just keep their dogs inside and take them out for their exercise and walks, or else... build a fence? :rolleyes: These collars have also caused serious burns to the neck on dogs. Just a horrible, horrible invention.

Back