• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

An exciting day... going to meet a male dog...

GraciesMom

We are not planning to bring him home today...but going to meet him. He is 3 years old and has been a show dog but not really winning so much. His tail flies too high and he does not really enjoy being on the road. Not the same breeder who had Gracie... but they share the same grandfather. Today's breeder is the owner of Gracie's sire. She offered him to us after another dog that she directed us to in another state did not work out....long story but that breeder behaved very oddly and did not let us know she decided to give that dog to her son.

Today's breeder felt badly about the situation and wondering if that is one reason she decided to give up this dog as she had not mentioned him to me before.

All that said... I am a bit nervous. Hoping that the two get along or that we know quickly that it won't work out. I do think we would need to take him home for a while to know for sure, but hubby is right that we need to check him out first and talk with her about his health, habits and temperament.

His name is Alistair for Petey's sake!... I sure hope he will respond to something like Al or Ali! :p

Hope it goes well. Alistair is close enough to Alastor that I'd want to call him "mad eye" or "moody" after the Harry Potter character.

Oh, I hope this one works out! Or that you will know right off the bat if he won't ;) . I'm excited for you! :):D

Thanks for the good wishes... did NOT work out

He just does not have any playfulness in him... kind of a loner dog. Did not really show much interest in us or Gracie. So... the search continues!!!

Isn't it funny that the breed is stereotyped to a certain calm behaviour, when in reality, you get as many variants in personality as any other breed...Best of luck in your quest !

I'm sorry he wasn't a good fit, but I am glad that you knew right away :hug: . Will say a prayer for your continuing search! :wink:

FWIW, I believe that it's unrealistic to think that you'll get a true picture of a dog's temperament and personality and how he would interact with your family from one visit to his home. (This is based on many years of working with Cavaliers being rehomed.) It usually takes a good two weeks in a new or foster home to be able to just start to see a dog's true personality. The current owner's description of what he is like should be more accurate than observing him for an afternoon.

I have personally adopted several adult Cavaliers that seemed aloof at first, and they actually became much more bonded and deeply devoted to me than others I've adopted that were extremely friendly at first meeting. Similarly, I've brought in new dogs that after several months became very closely bonded with other dogs in the house; it was not an immediate occurrence. (My credentials: I've brought 18 adult dogs into my home as permanent members over the past 20 years, and there have also been a number of fosters that have stayed for a couple of weeks to a couple of months before moving on to permanent homes.)

Pat

Just from my experience with ella and her boyfriend kennedy. At first they wanted nothing to do with each other. I think they met on his 2nd birthday. He was half a year older than ella. Even though they played together and I would occasionally keep him and vice/versa, they developed a strong bond. It took time.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

I would normally agree about taking him home for while....

Had intended to do that....but actually there were other issues with both the dog & breeder that I will not post here. She did admit while we there that he is not that interested in other dogs... was first time we heard that. He may well be different in another setting, but still would have some issues based on observations of his behavior interacting with other dogs/people. I guess the kindest thing to say is that he had behaviorial issues that showed up throughout the whole visit... even with the dogs he knows well.

Back