• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Escape Artist!

Zumie05

Coco has learned how to escape from her day time pen hah!

After coming home the other day we found her sleeping on our bed upstairs. We keep her pen in our living room downstairs with her crate at one end. We thought she jumped on top of her crate to get out, so we removed that the next day.

Well yesterday after coming home we found her out again! So she can either jump out or is climbing out. We really gotta get this girl into an agility class it seems.

To my surprise, we found no accidents at all either time! She did however find my friends toothbrush and a plastic baggie of banana bread and ate those things. I never leave those sorts of things out...but I also didn't think of having her things put away since I had no idea Coco was going to be out lol. No damage done to anything major at least. Naughty! For now Coco will just have to stay in her crate or locked in the bathroom when she is alone.

Last edited:
Awww poor Coco! Are you not able to make sure she can't get into anything and close all doors and only give her access to maybe one room? I think all day locked in a crate would be too much.

She is a stinker. You should leave a camera going to see exactly what she us doing. What about baby gates in a small room?

Piper just started doing this last week too. He jumps straight over! I usually take him with me everywhere I go anyway but the few times I have to leave him I guess I'll have to confine him to a safe room.

If it was easy enough to confine her to one room I would do it. The problem is I cannot completely puppy proof any of our rooms except the bathrooms without putting fences in front of everything which is why I liked the idea of having a pen. My plan is to eventually have her in the kitchen when she is home alone, however it is a large enough space in there I worry about accidents. I don't want to try that until she is older.

A mesh over the top of her pen is a good idea! And don't worry, she is only left at home while both of us are at work 3 days a week, and someone always comes home during lunch to spend about 45 minutes with her on those days. On our days off she comes everywhere with us!

Coco has learned how to escape from her day time pen hah!

After coming home the other day we found her sleeping on our bed upstairs. We keep her pen in our living room downstairs with her crate at one end. We thought she jumped on top of her crate to get out, so we removed that the next day.

Well yesterday after coming home we found her out again! So she can either jump out or is climbing out. We really gotta get this girl into an agility class it seems.

To my surprise, we found no accidents at all either time! She did however find my friends toothbrush and a plastic baggie of banana bread and ate those things. I never leave those sorts of things out...but I also didn't think of having her things put away since I had no idea Coco was going to be out lol. No damage done to anything major at least. Naughty! For now Coco will just have to stay in her crate or locked in the bathroom when she is alone.

Been there! Feel your pain, we just started trusting the dogs and we come home to the dogs flinging our dog clothes here and there, I think they just carry them for comfort. Luka was escaping at 8 months, we'd come home no accidents and he'd be sound asleep.

I think locking her in her crate etc would just give her anxiety. Just my opinion though.

If you have a metal xpen you can buy a top made of the same thing. I went through the same with Vivian who jumped her pen at 14 weeks. I went and bought the bigest wire crate that I could find. She was in it when I was gone for months till big enough to use dog door. Plenty of room for toys, water and litter (which she almost never used).

Back