PDA

View Full Version : Pet insurance UK

Blueroses
6th June 2011, 01:35 PM
With the arrival of my puppy in 3 days time, I have been searching all the various pet insurance plans, and wow what a minefield it is! Ive looked at Petplan, KC, all the various 'supermarket' ones, Animal Friends, and many more. I know people will probably not wish to recommend one as such, but with the health issues ( heaven forbid ) I must be aware of, is there anywhere I can go that will cover 'those' conditions? Sigh icon_nwunsure

Thank you

Diana

Brian M
6th June 2011, 01:54 PM
Hi

The best for price is http://www.axa.co.uk/insurance/pet they are an insurance company and cover for life and not as expensive as Petplan .They offer 7000.00 per
year renewable and paid out on my Rosie last Oct 2200.00 with no problem .

Blueroses
6th June 2011, 02:04 PM
Hi

The best for price is http://www.axa.co.uk/insurance/pet they are an insurance company and cover for life and not as expensive as Petplan .They offer 7000.00 per
year renewable and paid out on my Rosie last Oct 2200.00 with no problem .

Thank you Brian, glad to hear that. What was Rosie's problem may I ask?

Brian M
6th June 2011, 02:20 PM
Hi

Last Oct she yelped while on a walk and ran back to me for comfort, so SM was suspected as a poss .We went to see our Vet who referred us to Chestergates this was on a Sat morning and we went the same day at 3.00 pm for an emergency consultation then a complete MRI ,she was diagnosed with CM and not Sm and thanks to rest and care she has no problems at all and has no medication .Axa paid me the 2200.00 less the excess of 80.00 three weeks later.

Blueroses
6th June 2011, 02:27 PM
Hi

Last Oct she yelped while on a walk and ran back to me for comfort, so SM was suspected as a poss .We went to see our Vet who referred us to Chestergates this was on a Sat morning and we went the same day at 3.00 pm for an emergency consultation then a complete MRI ,she was diagnosed with CM and not Sm and thanks to rest and care she has no problems at all and has no medication .Axa paid me the 2200.00 less the excess of 80.00 three weeks later.

Thank you for that speedy response and Im so glad to hear Rosie is ok now. So am I right in thinking Axa do not refuse to pay up in cases of 'inherited' diseases then? Do you expect them to continue paying ( hope you wont need to naturally ) now this is an existing problem You know what they can be like with their get out clauses !

Sorry If I am a pain :o

P.S. Axa certainly seem to have stepped up to the mark for you. I hope Rosie continues to do well

jasperpaw
6th June 2011, 02:56 PM
I am with Petplan and have been with them since my eldest cavalier who is now 11 years old was about 7 months old, I have also insured my 13 month cavalier with Petplan and get a slight discout for two dogs. I pay 22.50 per month for my young one, they do offer different Plans, but I have the cover for life. My eldest has MVD and has been on medication for just over two years, they have paid up for all his tests and medication, the onlly thing now is because he is older I have to pay 20% of each claim, but I guess that maybe the same for all pets over a certain age, they normally pay up within 3 weeks of putting in the claim. I believe AXA to be good, but at the time, 11 years ago I did not know they did pet insurance, I did inquire with them when I got my young one, but the only thing that put me off was every thing was done on line, but that was just me being unsure as we had had problems with on line car insurance.

Blueroses
6th June 2011, 03:10 PM
I am with Petplan and have been with them since my eldest cavalier who is now 11 years old was about 7 months old, I have also insured my 13 month cavalier with Petplan and get a slight discout for two dogs. I pay 22.50 per month for my young one, they do offer different Plans, but I have the cover for life. My eldest has MVD and has been on medication for just over two years, they have paid up for all his tests and medication, the onlly thing now is because he is older I have to pay 20% of each claim, but I guess that maybe the same for all pets over a certain age, they normally pay up within 3 weeks of putting in the claim. I believe AXA to be good, but at the time, 11 years ago I did not know they did pet insurance, I did inquire with them when I got my young one, but the only thing that put me off was every thing was done on line, but that was just me being unsure as we had had problems with on line car insurance.

Thank you very much Pam. This is all very helpful

Brian M
6th June 2011, 03:11 PM
Hi

AXA state

"All reasonable costs for Treatment of your pet by a Vet up to 7,000 per period of insurance."

So they will renew every year for an amount of 7000.00 and if you make a claim they will still renew but obviously will increase the premium ,you should pay about 12 per month or less .

ps Just to add to Pams reply ,you do apply on line but claims or help it is a human based UK call centre and normally answer within a minute.

jasperpaw
6th June 2011, 03:20 PM
Hi Brian, 12.00 per month is really good, I know it is a minefield out there with pet insurance, I looked at so many when we got Ollie last year it was mind boggling, I wish in some way I had had the confidence to go with AXA, could`nt obviously change Jasper he is too old to insure with another company, luckily no claims for Ollie yet.

Blueroses
6th June 2011, 03:26 PM
Thank you both for your input :D

12 sounds excellent. I am looking into that one ! Will let you know their quote.

Brian M
6th June 2011, 03:31 PM
Hi Pam

Good on you two ,agreed insurance is a minefield especially so if you do make a claim then you are stuck .Last time I insured in August last year Daisy who then was 3 was cheaper than Lily who was 2 :? .So for interest I phoned them up and asked why a 3 yr old was cheaper than a 2 yr old and they told me historically with Cavaliers they have paid out more on 2 yr olds than 3 yr olds ,clever these insurance companies .?

Blueroses
6th June 2011, 03:37 PM
AXA :

Ok just got a quote. 8 week old puppy, 7000 with 75 excess, 14.03 per month
Pay by a single payment
Vet fees excess per condition

jasperpaw
6th June 2011, 03:41 PM
To be honest Brian we have paid in much more than we have got back over the 11 years, as we only made one claim for Jasper up until he was 9 years old, and of course the last 2 years it has been on going for medication every 3 months, plus other health issues, but just could`nt risk not having the cover, as you say these insurance companies are very clever, it is getting to the stage that Jasper would never be able to have any operation etc because of his heart.

Blueroses
6th June 2011, 03:46 PM
Initially I had wondered whether to just open a savings account and pay into it regularly. Then if in years to come I haven't had to use it, it's still my money. I just don't have the nerve icon_blshing

Brian M
6th June 2011, 04:03 PM
Hi

And you need the will to pay in .I pay as a S/Order into a separate Cavalier Account with my own branch 150 a month which I hope will cover Insurance for four and grooming every 8/9 weeks and the grooming charges are 120.00 each visit ,due next on the 18 th June .So I am about right but of course on top of this are the occasional /frequent Vet visits which always work out to be just beneath the excess figure and last year for a period I had a seat reserved for me at my Vets as I seemed to be there every other night with one of the girls ,so you pays your money and takes your chance ,especially with Cavaliers .:) Or as my dear wife said "you spend more on the girls than you do on me " and my answer was yes a lot more but they give me more in return , that went down like a lead ballon .

Pat
6th June 2011, 04:13 PM
Or as my dear wife said "you spend more on the girls than you do on me " and my answer was yes a lot more but they give me more in return , that went down like a lead ballon .

Oh Brian - you are LUCKY to still be ALIVE after that one!!!!

Pat

Blueroses
6th June 2011, 04:15 PM
Hi

And you need the will to pay in .I pay as a S/Order into a separate Cavalier Account with my own branch 150 a month which I hope will cover Insurance for four and grooming every 8/9 weeks and the grooming charges are 120.00 each visit ,due next on the 18 th June .So I am about right but of course on top of this are the occasional /frequent Vet visits which always work out to be just beneath the excess figure and last year for a period I had a seat reserved for me at my Vets as I seemed to be there every other night with one of the girls ,so you pays your money and takes your chance ,especially with Cavaliers .:) Or as my dear wife said "you spend more on the girls than you do on me " and my answer was yes a lot more but they give me more in return , that went down like a lead ballon .

Ha ha.......... and you're still alive?

Sabby
7th June 2011, 08:41 AM
I am with M&S with my Ebony and my other two are with AXA. I couldn’t change Ebony to AXA as she had her heart murmur as an pre existing condition. I got the same insurance then Brian and I pay about 12 with AXA and 29.99 with M&S. Big difference.
I can’t complain as M&S and my vet always agree for pre authorisation. That means I only pay the excess and M&S pay the rest direct to the vets. That came in handy this year when they paid my vet direct for her Luxating Patella operation that came to 1,200. They paid the vet 2 weeks after the op. Also she is having physio/hydro for about 4 month every week, that is also covered. She also sees the cardiologist every year at about 400, they pay that direct to him.

Because of the operation this year I found out that depending on the insurance the vet won’t except direct payment from every insurance company. I think Argos and Tesco’s he had bad experiences with.

murphy's mum
7th June 2011, 11:49 AM
I use AXA as well, both dogs and both cats are insured through them now. We've only had to claim off of them once after Misty ate a peach stone. She was only insured 2 weeks when she did it, it ended up costing 550 for her op and her recovery time in the vets.

They were great. I like how they pay the vets direct, so I only had to pay the excess out of my own pocket. With my previous insurer I had to pay the vets and wait for the money to be paid back to me.

Blueroses
7th June 2011, 12:20 PM
I use AXA as well, both dogs and both cats are insured through them now. We've only had to claim off of them once after Misty ate a peach stone. She was only insured 2 weeks when she did it, it ended up costing 550 for her op and her recovery time in the vets.

They were great. I like how they pay the vets direct, so I only had to pay the excess out of my own pocket. With my previous insurer I had to pay the vets and wait for the money to be paid back to me.

Hello murphy's mum :)

Axa does sound good. I guess 7000 a year cover would take care of most things. If your animal had an on going problem ( I dont mean pre existing when you take the policy out) would they keep covering it year in year out ? Just wondering

Brian M
7th June 2011, 12:24 PM
Hi

Yes ,that is life cover but premium may go up but they will not refuse you or limit you .

Sabby
7th June 2011, 12:25 PM
Hello murphy's mum :)

Axa does sound good. I guess 7000 a year cover would take care of most things. If your animal had an on going problem ( I dont mean pre existing when you take the policy out) would they keep covering it year in year out ? Just wondering

Yes, as long as you renew your policy every year the same illness is covered for life up to 7000 a year.

Teresa
7th June 2011, 01:03 PM
this thread is answering a lot of my questions. I have used Pet Plan for years. For Barney at nine with a bit of a claim history I wouldn't dream of changing his insurance. Cassie however is a different matter. She is only one and I have never claimed on her policy and fortunately she has not been to the vet through illness. Pet Plan for her is about 25 a month. Her cover is, 4000 a year covered for life policy, plus the other benefits pet plan offer. AXA is around 11 for 7000 a year and more extra benefits than Pet Plan including being able to claim her purchase price if (god forbid) I loose her before the age of eight. The figures speak for themselves. I think Pet Plan is convenient as they deal with the vets directly, not sure if AXA do the same so I am going to call this afternoon to find out...

Blueroses
7th June 2011, 01:04 PM
Yes, as long as you renew your policy every year the same illness is covered for life up to 7000 a year.

Thank you very much Sabby and thanks also for your previous post, and Brian too :thmbsup:

Teresa
7th June 2011, 01:06 PM
and AXA cover prescription diets for specific illnesses, when Barney came home after a nasty tummy bug the food cost me a fortune!!

Blueroses
7th June 2011, 01:17 PM
Oooh Axa it is then. How come my quote is 14 when others are saying 11 or 12 though icon_nwunsure

Brian M
7th June 2011, 01:33 PM
Hi

When I had my three rescue cats Ben ,Ami and Tammi they were all insured with AXA ,I lost Ben (11 ) then Tammi (16 ) and lastly my little Ami (18 ) ,I had them cremated and returned to me each in a little wooden casket and AXA paid out 100 each for them .
Tammi

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2220/2214572063_65fba169b6.jpg

Ami

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2162/2214569361_94997f2013.jpg

Cannot find any photos of my Ginger Ben.

Teresa
7th June 2011, 02:38 PM
you're right Brian, it says about that in the policy...You do seem to get better cover for a third of the cost. I have taken a leap of faith and taken it out for Cassie, I checked her Pet Plan policy and it was 25.89 a month with a 90 excess for 4000 a year unlimited claims per condition over life and now I have the peace of mind of 7000 for 11.19 a month with a 75 excess. I hope it's as good as it seems, I have been using Pet Plan for 17 years!! Never had a problem with them ...

Teresa
7th June 2011, 02:39 PM
beautiful cats btw..x

jasperpaw
7th June 2011, 03:38 PM
Teresa, I have just checked my 13 month year old Ollie`s policy with Petplan, he is still in his first year of policy until July, and I pay 22.40 this is with a small discount for 2 dogs, plus a small donation per month to some animal organisation, cover for life of 4000 and 75.00 excess, as you say Petplan are good and have been very good with my older dog, I seriously may think about changing in July for Ollie.

Teresa
7th June 2011, 03:47 PM
Jasperpaw - the premiums seem to vary from pup to pup or dog to dog...very strange. The full things covered are on the AXA pet insurance page on the web...I can't find anything I'm not happy with..I am changing Cassie now even though her policy renewed in March. I have checked and can cancel anytime. I just thought that if anything happened before renewall I would be tied to Pet plan. Thankfully Cassie has just been to the vets for her booster and all is well...So I thought change now if I am going to do it.
I hope I am making the right decision!!

Teresa
7th June 2011, 03:51 PM
P.S 25.89 was with a second pet discount!! Barney's is now over 35 a month and a 100 excess so it all does creap up over the years. I have claimed quite a few times for Barney so I would never have a dog without insurance!! Now he is on two regular meds after paying the excess on the claim we are getting back about 44 a month in payments. Definately worth it!!

jasperpaw
7th June 2011, 04:06 PM
Hi Teresa, I have now checked my 11 year old policy been with Petplan since a pup, he has 6000 cover for life excess of 105 plus now I have to pay 20% of each claim but like you I have on going claims for the past two years and Jasper became ill at 9 years old when I feel his premium would have gone up a lot anyway, we pay 41.05 per month for him. How old is Cassie, it`s very interesting how it seems to vary from dog to dog.:-?

murphy's mum
7th June 2011, 04:11 PM
I just checked my D.D's and Murphy is 11.09 and Misty's is 10.16. They are both 5 years old, and we've claimed against Misty, but not Murphy, so I thought her's would have been higher.

Blueroses it may be higher beacuse she is a puppy. I know when we got our Ragdoll kitten her's was higher until we got her chipped and spayed. I contacted AXA and it went down a pound or so:)

Teresa
7th June 2011, 04:20 PM
Barney is just nine, I expect on renewal we will have to pay an excess and 20% towards treatment...Still worth it for him. He has 4000 cover, excess 110 at the moment. For 32.50 a month not 35...

Cassie is 16 months, chipped but not spayed. Hers is 25.82 a month with PP and the same cover level and a 90 excess per condition...

Maybe boys and girls are different price levels too???

I'd be interested to hear what AXA premiums and excesses are for older dogs???

Blueroses
7th June 2011, 04:32 PM
I just checked my D.D's and Murphy is 11.09 and Misty's is 10.16. They are both 5 years old, and we've claimed against Misty, but not Murphy, so I thought her's would have been higher.

Blueroses it may be higher beacuse she is a puppy. I know when we got our Ragdoll kitten her's was higher until we got her chipped and spayed. I contacted AXA and it went down a pound or so:)

Thank you. Yes I think this must be the case. puppies get up to all sorts and probably they get a lot of claims for things being swallowed etc etc . Anyway I have emailed them and asked the reason, and also asked if the premiums would go down after a year of no claims or whatever. I am still going to use them. They seem the best Ive researched. Thanks Brian ( and others )for the recommendation!

Brian M
7th June 2011, 04:34 PM
Hi

As I said in a previous post Daisy who was 3 was cheaper than Lily who is 2 .:confused: All they said when I asked was that they pay out more on 2 yr old Cavaliers than they do on 3 yr old Cavaliers .

Blueroses
7th June 2011, 04:37 PM
Hi

As I said in a previous post Daisy who was 3 was cheaper than Lily who is 2 .:confused: All they said when I asked was that they pay out more on 2 yr old Cavaliers than they do on 3 yr old Cavaliers .

Yep, quite right, you did Brian :thnx:

Teresa
7th June 2011, 04:47 PM
No Worries :) Oh and congratulations on getting your new Cav Puppy :))