• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Pet insurance UK

Blueroses

With the arrival of my puppy in 3 days time, I have been searching all the various pet insurance plans, and wow what a minefield it is! Ive looked at Petplan, KC, all the various 'supermarket' ones, Animal Friends, and many more. I know people will probably not wish to recommend one as such, but with the health issues ( heaven forbid ) I must be aware of, is there anywhere I can go that will cover 'those' conditions? Sigh icon_nwunsure

Thank you

Diana

Hi

Last Oct she yelped while on a walk and ran back to me for comfort, so SM was suspected as a poss .We went to see our Vet who referred us to Chestergates this was on a Sat morning and we went the same day at 3.00 pm for an emergency consultation then a complete MRI ,she was diagnosed with CM and not Sm and thanks to rest and care she has no problems at all and has no medication .Axa paid me the £2200.00 less the excess of £80.00 three weeks later.

Hi

Last Oct she yelped while on a walk and ran back to me for comfort, so SM was suspected as a poss .We went to see our Vet who referred us to Chestergates this was on a Sat morning and we went the same day at 3.00 pm for an emergency consultation then a complete MRI ,she was diagnosed with CM and not Sm and thanks to rest and care she has no problems at all and has no medication .Axa paid me the £2200.00 less the excess of £80.00 three weeks later.

Thank you for that speedy response and Im so glad to hear Rosie is ok now. So am I right in thinking Axa do not refuse to pay up in cases of 'inherited' diseases then? Do you expect them to continue paying ( hope you wont need to naturally ) now this is an existing problem You know what they can be like with their get out clauses !

Sorry If I am a pain :eek:

P.S. Axa certainly seem to have stepped up to the mark for you. I hope Rosie continues to do well

Last edited:
I am with Petplan and have been with them since my eldest cavalier who is now 11 years old was about 7 months old, I have also insured my 13 month cavalier with Petplan and get a slight discout for two dogs. I pay £22.50 per month for my young one, they do offer different Plans, but I have the cover for life. My eldest has MVD and has been on medication for just over two years, they have paid up for all his tests and medication, the onlly thing now is because he is older I have to pay 20% of each claim, but I guess that maybe the same for all pets over a certain age, they normally pay up within 3 weeks of putting in the claim. I believe AXA to be good, but at the time, 11 years ago I did not know they did pet insurance, I did inquire with them when I got my young one, but the only thing that put me off was every thing was done on line, but that was just me being unsure as we had had problems with on line car insurance.

I am with Petplan and have been with them since my eldest cavalier who is now 11 years old was about 7 months old, I have also insured my 13 month cavalier with Petplan and get a slight discout for two dogs. I pay £22.50 per month for my young one, they do offer different Plans, but I have the cover for life. My eldest has MVD and has been on medication for just over two years, they have paid up for all his tests and medication, the onlly thing now is because he is older I have to pay 20% of each claim, but I guess that maybe the same for all pets over a certain age, they normally pay up within 3 weeks of putting in the claim. I believe AXA to be good, but at the time, 11 years ago I did not know they did pet insurance, I did inquire with them when I got my young one, but the only thing that put me off was every thing was done on line, but that was just me being unsure as we had had problems with on line car insurance.

Thank you very much Pam. This is all very helpful

Hi

AXA state

"All reasonable costs for Treatment of your pet by a Vet up to £7,000 per period of insurance."

So they will renew every year for an amount of £7000.00 and if you make a claim they will still renew but obviously will increase the premium ,you should pay about £12 per month or less .

ps Just to add to Pams reply ,you do apply on line but claims or help it is a human based UK call centre and normally answer within a minute.

Hi Brian, £12.00 per month is really good, I know it is a minefield out there with pet insurance, I looked at so many when we got Ollie last year it was mind boggling, I wish in some way I had had the confidence to go with AXA, could`nt obviously change Jasper he is too old to insure with another company, luckily no claims for Ollie yet.

Thank you both for your input :D

£12 sounds excellent. I am looking into that one ! Will let you know their quote.

Hi Pam

Good on you two ,agreed insurance is a minefield especially so if you do make a claim then you are stuck .Last time I insured in August last year Daisy who then was 3 was cheaper than Lily who was 2 :? .So for interest I phoned them up and asked why a 3 yr old was cheaper than a 2 yr old and they told me historically with Cavaliers they have paid out more on 2 yr olds than 3 yr olds ,clever these insurance companies .?

AXA :

Ok just got a quote. 8 week old puppy, £7000 with £75 excess, £14.03 per month
Pay by a single payment
£168.24
Vet fees excess per condition
£75

To be honest Brian we have paid in much more than we have got back over the 11 years, as we only made one claim for Jasper up until he was 9 years old, and of course the last 2 years it has been on going for medication every 3 months, plus other health issues, but just could`nt risk not having the cover, as you say these insurance companies are very clever, it is getting to the stage that Jasper would never be able to have any operation etc because of his heart.

Initially I had wondered whether to just open a savings account and pay into it regularly. Then if in years to come I haven't had to use it, it's still my money. I just don't have the nerve icon_blshing

Hi

And you need the will to pay in .I pay as a S/Order into a separate Cavalier Account with my own branch £150 a month which I hope will cover Insurance for four and grooming every 8/9 weeks and the grooming charges are £120.00 each visit ,due next on the 18 th June .So I am about right but of course on top of this are the occasional /frequent Vet visits which always work out to be just beneath the excess figure and last year for a period I had a seat reserved for me at my Vets as I seemed to be there every other night with one of the girls ,so you pays your money and takes your chance ,especially with Cavaliers .:) Or as my dear wife said "you spend more on the girls than you do on me " and my answer was yes a lot more but they give me more in return , that went down like a lead ballon .

Or as my dear wife said "you spend more on the girls than you do on me " and my answer was yes a lot more but they give me more in return , that went down like a lead ballon .

Oh Brian - you are LUCKY to still be ALIVE after that one!!!!

Pat

Hi

And you need the will to pay in .I pay as a S/Order into a separate Cavalier Account with my own branch £150 a month which I hope will cover Insurance for four and grooming every 8/9 weeks and the grooming charges are £120.00 each visit ,due next on the 18 th June .So I am about right but of course on top of this are the occasional /frequent Vet visits which always work out to be just beneath the excess figure and last year for a period I had a seat reserved for me at my Vets as I seemed to be there every other night with one of the girls ,so you pays your money and takes your chance ,especially with Cavaliers .:) Or as my dear wife said "you spend more on the girls than you do on me " and my answer was yes a lot more but they give me more in return , that went down like a lead ballon .

Ha ha.......... and you're still alive?

I am with M&S with my Ebony and my other two are with AXA. I couldn’t change Ebony to AXA as she had her heart murmur as an pre existing condition. I got the same insurance then Brian and I pay about £12 with AXA and £29.99 with M&S. Big difference.
I can’t complain as M&S and my vet always agree for pre authorisation. That means I only pay the excess and M&S pay the rest direct to the vets. That came in handy this year when they paid my vet direct for her Luxating Patella operation that came to £1,200. They paid the vet 2 weeks after the op. Also she is having physio/hydro for about 4 month every week, that is also covered. She also sees the cardiologist every year at about £400, they pay that direct to him.

Because of the operation this year I found out that depending on the insurance the vet won’t except direct payment from every insurance company. I think Argos and Tesco’s he had bad experiences with.

I use AXA as well, both dogs and both cats are insured through them now. We've only had to claim off of them once after Misty ate a peach stone. She was only insured 2 weeks when she did it, it ended up costing £550 for her op and her recovery time in the vets.

They were great. I like how they pay the vets direct, so I only had to pay the excess out of my own pocket. With my previous insurer I had to pay the vets and wait for the money to be paid back to me.

I use AXA as well, both dogs and both cats are insured through them now. We've only had to claim off of them once after Misty ate a peach stone. She was only insured 2 weeks when she did it, it ended up costing £550 for her op and her recovery time in the vets.

They were great. I like how they pay the vets direct, so I only had to pay the excess out of my own pocket. With my previous insurer I had to pay the vets and wait for the money to be paid back to me.

Hello murphy's mum :)

Axa does sound good. I guess £7000 a year cover would take care of most things. If your animal had an on going problem ( I dont mean pre existing when you take the policy out) would they keep covering it year in year out ? Just wondering

Back