• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

B12 back to normal but vet wants to continue shots? Need advice

GraciesMom

Gracie was low on B12 about 2.5 months ago and they started the weekly shots. We then took a 3-week wait on the shots and had Gracie retested for her B12 levels last Friday. Her B12 is now back in normal range... in fact, close to midrange. The vet, however, wants to continue giving her B12 shots every 2 weeks now instead of weekly. He feels that the shots made the difference, not the diet change to raw food. I have a feeling though that being on the raw diet has made a huge difference in her absorption of B12... maybe as much as the shots. What are thoughts on seeing how she does on raw diet with maybe a B12 liquid supplement and not doing shots for about 2 months and then retesting her B12?

Thanks Brian...

That is very helpful article. Gracie's digestive issues started clearing up before the shots with the raw diet, so that is one reason I think that diet helped so much. She also is gaining weight. She now weighs more than she ever has and we have been off the shots for 4 weeks. She is now over 13.5 pounds.

I guess it would not hurt to continue the shots, but just wondering if she is doing so well healthwise and the raw diet has been so wonderful for her if we could get by with the liquid supplement now.

One of mine is on B12 shots and we stopped after his levels returned to normal but I recently had him retested and his B12 level was lower than it was when this all started-ugh! So, we are back on shots. Once every week for 6 weeks then once a month. Below is a link to the Texas A&M Protocol for Cobalamin injections that we are following per the recommendation of our vet. Are you doing the shots yourself? If not, they are SO much cheaper to do at home if you can versus going into the vet every time.

http://vetmed.tamu.edu/gilab/research/cobalamin-information

So good to know this experience of another B12 deficient dog...

One of mine is on B12 shots and we stopped after his levels returned to normal but I recently had him retested and his B12 level was lower than it was when this all started-ugh! So, we are back on shots. Once every week for 6 weeks then once a month. Below is a link to the Texas A&M Protocol for Cobalamin injections that we are following per the recommendation of our vet. Are you doing the shots yourself? If not, they are SO much cheaper to do at home if you can versus going into the vet every time.

http://vetmed.tamu.edu/gilab/research/cobalamin-information

This is sooooo helpful too! I guess it would not hurt to continue the shots every two weeks as he suggests. We will retest in 2 months. If she is HIGH on B12, then we know that we can cut back on the shot. Does that make sense? Every two weeks is not too pricey and insurance is covering most of it so likely will just keep letting them do it. I am not so good at those things (clumsy!) and hubby is afraid of needles! Oh well! :lol:

That is very helpful article. Gracie's digestive issues started clearing up before the shots with the raw diet, so that is one reason I think that diet helped so much. She also is gaining weight. She now weighs more than she ever has and we have been off the shots for 4 weeks. She is now over 13.5 pounds.

I guess it would not hurt to continue the shots, but just wondering if she is doing so well healthwise and the raw diet has been so wonderful for her if we could get by with the liquid supplement now.

If I were you I'd go to the liquid B12 supplement, why go through the expense of the shots and taking her in to get them, when you can just do the same with adding a little to her diet.

Even with the shots, the body is only going to absorb so much and filtrate and pee out the rest. I think you'd do better with a dietary supplement.

Makes total sense. I take B12 shots myself (which is why it is so easy for me to give them to the dog) and my doctor has told me it wouldn't hurt if I had extra B12 until my next blood work so I go with the same theory for the dogs. Lance actually has EPI as well which is how we discovered the B12 issue in the first place. Well, if you ever change your mind or insurance stops covering the shots, a years supply of B12 plus syringes retail (no insurance) costs me less than $35.

Back