PDA

View Full Version : Bandannas for dogs

Karlin
9th June 2011, 12:02 AM
These are nice, come in all sizes, and help support A Dog's Life, a great Irish rescue. not sure if they will post outside Ireland but people could ask.

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10150275305797474.380193.270131087473

BrooklynMom
9th June 2011, 12:29 AM
I love these...bandanas are so cute :) what I found bandanas awesome for was when Brooky was little (or if we are taking her somewhere totally new), I would spray D.A.P. on the bandana to help calm her a little. And since it was right under her nose, it worked like a charm!

Karlin
11th June 2011, 08:18 PM
I would spray D.A.P. on the bandana to help calm her a little.

hey thats a great idea!

Nicki
12th June 2011, 12:19 PM
You could also try a drop of Lavender oil for claiming, or Citronella to avoid fleas! Both can of course be applied to collars and harnesses, but do it on the inside to avoid staining.

There is actually very little Scientific evidence of the efficacy of DAP - see Dogs Today June issue. Will find the info a bit later. However it has been very carefully marketed and is of course sold at most veterinary practices.

Nicki
19th June 2011, 08:17 PM
Richard Allport wrote an article about anxiety relief in the Dogs Today magazine - MAY 2011

He had found that 14 studies on the use of pheromones [sold in the UK as DAP - dog-appeasing pheromone and Feliway - feline facial pheromone] were reviewed and assessed by researchers at the University of Montreal

11 of the 14 reports reviewed provided insufficient evidence and 1 provided lack of support for effectiveness of pheromones for the treatment of undesirable behaviour in cats and dogs

More information here http://pubget.com/search?q=authors%3A%22Diane%20Frank%22

Like most things it is worth trying to see if it would help your animal, but there are other things available that have been found to be far more effective - such as Scullcap and Valierian [Dorwest herbs], Homoeopathic remedies, Kalm Aid www.viovet.co.uk and Dr Petals' elixirs.