• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Tips to ease her boredom?

PaddysMummy

My mums cavvie (who is staying with me for the next few months) has just had an op on her knee (luxating patella). They vet have said she needs complete rest, she's allowed up and about when going outside to use the toilet only, for now. She's got a cone thing on too as she's got stitches.

She only came home Monday evening and she's already going mad with boredom being stuck in her crate all day long (and probably thinking she's done something wrong when she hasn't poor thing!)

I take the cone off her and sit outside the crate with her on and off all day and I'm always talking to her etc. but she's forever crying, hitting the crate or headbutting it with the cone. I think she tires herself out after a while because she'll fall asleep for about 20 minutes then start again.
frown.gif

Do you have any tips that may ease her boredom? She can't really lie down with a bone or anything because that daft cone is in the way and she isn't having the stitches out for a week.

We need to keep her away from my dog as he might accidently hurt her so she can't even just lie around the living room floor
redface.gif

Thanks x

Could you get her an inflatable collar like this: blogs.dogtime.com/secret-shopper-pet-product-reviews/2010/08/boobooloon-protective-petwear-collar, or something similar, which wouldn't be as bulky as the cone, and then maybe she could manage to play with a toy or chew on something that would take a while.
Another thing that people do is put their cavvies in 'onsies' after they've been spayed, I'm not sure how much that would help your mum's dog, but maybe you could adapt a pair of baby's leggings to go over her legs and keep her away from the stitches?

Is her crate all enclosed (top and two sides)? Maybe you could put her in a playpen or all metal cage so she wouldn't feel so enclosed.

Ah, the poor baby. Maybe making an enclosure for her would be more helpful. If her crate is like a metal wire crate and easily transportable, then bring it into the living room or whatever room everyone is in the company and noise will be helpful for her, maybe play some music or put on the tv. Also the suggestion of an inflatable collar would be more comfy. I feel sorry for her (and you!), a tough situation, but thankfully with a little perserverence, she'll be better in no time. Keep us updated and let us know how she's doing.

My Ebony had that operation in April. We put her in a playpen mainly only to stop her from jumping up on the furniture when I had to go out. We got three Cavaliers and they knew to leave her alone, dogs have that instinct. I was lucky I didn’t need a cone, but I was with her for the first week at all times. How long ago was the operation, because the first week Ebony slept all the time because of all the medicines she was on.

Back