• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

dog is ignoring me

steph

hi. i am 3 months pregnant and i have a 3 and half yr old cav who has been my shadow since i got him. i have noticed over the last 2 months that he is spending less time with me and more with my hubbie. in the evening time he would normally jump up on the couch with me for a cuddle while watching tv. now he is sitting on hubbies feet shooting me dirty looks :lol: i think he can sense a big change is coming. he is great with my nephews and loves playing with them. is there any tips that you guys could give me that would make him feel(and me :eek:) that im not fogetting about him.
thanks xx

I have been convinced ( since watching Lassie as a young boy ) that dogs in general do have another sense..almost a pre-emptive sense.

Your dog can sense that big changes are afoot.

Never underestimate the power of the canine mind !

All will be good once a new routine is established me thinks.

I'm sure it will be fine...he probably smells all the hormonal changes that come with pregnancy (and isn't thrilled with the prospects or changes, poor puppy). I didn't have any issues with our dog (we had a Cardi at the time) but the cats...I couldn't get them off of me, during my pregnancy or after (my sister had the same problem, lol)!
There are lots of good articles about acclimating a pet for bringing home a newborn- if I can find one, I'll post it for you (it's been a while since I needed it ;) ). Be prepared for lots of these looks:

Rose-WHAT-resized.jpg

WHAT DO YOU MEAN I'M NOT THE BABY ANYMORE???
(Rose's reaction when we brought home a foster kitten last week, lol)

And CONGRATS!!!:D

I know when my sister was pregnant, they got a baby doll for their lab to get used to. Don't think cavaliers will have same issues. her husband brought a baby blanket home from the hospital to get used to the smell.

I do think dogs have a 6th sense. I will say I have friends that the poor dogs don't get much attention when the baby comes. I think usually the "baby" is the dog at first. It reminds me of Lady and the Tramp.

I'm sure it just will take getting used to and then they will become inseperable too.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

I'm pregnant, too, and my 3 Cavaliers and English Bulldog (my husband's dog!) are still as all over me as always!! :) But, I have been very sick since I've been pregnant (all day morning sickness) so have been spending a bit more time laying around, which, of course, they love! :) I actually hired a dog walker to come take them for long walks bc I just haven't felt up to it and I didn't think they were getting enough exercise in our fenced yard.

Anyway, I am curious to see how they will react with the baby. I am thinking they will mostly ignore him/her except for Scarlett-- any time friends have been over with babies, she is absolutely mesmerized and just sits as close to them as she can and stares at them! It's really cute.

Good luck with your pregnancy-- big changes are coming, aren't they?? :)

Holly,

I'm sorry you are not feeling well. I know nothing about pregnancy but I've heard that those that are more sick during pregnancy end up having the calmest babies. Easy pregnancy, the babies are difficult and make up for the calmest before. I know its not true but I hope you feel better. I do think it would be worth reading about newborns and dogs. We know Cavaliers are pretty much great with babies but it might help with adjustments? You know how cavaliers are, they can tell when you don't feel well.

Thank you, Anne! I hope that is true that I will have a calm baby! ;-) My doctor says it's a good sign to be so sick- but she may be trying to make me feel better! LOL

I will definitely read up on how to help the pups adjust. Someone asked me what I was planning to do with all 4 dogs when the baby was born and were we going to keep them all?!! Of course we are!! I love every one of my pups (even the drooly, snorty Bulldog!!) and could never give any of them up!

thanks for the replies. the funny thing is when i had morning sickness he use to sit outside the bathroom door and wait for me :) but once i came back out he'd be gone. He is my baby and i fell in love with him the minute he came home so i do all the walks, grooming and meal times. i think thats probably why i felt "jealous" when my hubbie became his new best pal :cry*ing:my sister had new born twins the year we got him and he'd just sit at the end of the pram for ages. ive heard of people bringing home a piece of clothing that the baby has worn so they get use to the smell. hopefully he comes to his sences soon and realises im much better to be friends with then my hubbie as i give better cuddles :jmp2:

I didn't have a Cavalier when I was pregnant but I will tell you my German Shepard changed a lot at first. She was about 4 years old & had always gotten my full attention. She had always been by my side and went just about everywhere with me. As my pregnancy progressed she started willingly spending more time in her kennel. (With the door open. It is her safe place whenever she is nervous. I think she knew something was about to change) She has always been a VERY sensitive dog. I adopted her at 4 months and she was very shy. When I first brought my son home she was terrified and avoided me & him at all costs. The sound of a crying baby would send her running to the far end of the house hiding. This went on for about 2 months. I think it was mainly because she had never been around a baby before. Once I started to take her on regular walks with us (pushing the stroller) she slowly started coming around. It was slowly but surely. I really do think the walks with the baby helped her so much. By the time my son was crawling she was comfortable with him. Then, by the time he was walking they were best buds! Now that he is 2 1/2 they are partners in crime . LOL

74677_1710962783280_1514439143_1737049_2559705_n.jpg

38752_1539745862964_1514439143_1379751_5457992_n.jpg

44193_1619436295175_1514439143_1568118_3707025_n.jpg

Lovely photos! What is the little creature standing beside your son's feet in the middle photo? I'm amazed that your Shepherd isn't trying to eat it :yikes

Back