• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Pet Insurance Exclusions

BrooklynMom

Hi all,
Well, I just got my certificate of insurance from Pet Plan, and these are the exclusions they listed based off my vet records:

• Umbilical Hernia
  • Behavioral Disorders (no idea where that came from...Brooklyn has never had something like this)
  • Third Party Liability
  • Skin Allergies (she has never been diagnosed with a skin allergy)
  • Skin Disorders
  • Ear Disorders

And I guess part of me is kicking myself because I even waited to sign up when I knew I should have when we got her...I just kept putting it off until now (Brooky is 7 months).
But I guess my biggest question (if any of you even know the answer to this), do you think any of these exclusions will preclude me from cover if we need to investigate SM? As you guys now from a recent thread, Brooklyn has been demonstrating a lot of SM type symptoms (I posted a video in here somewhere) and we need to get it looked into...but I am not sure if insurance will link any of the above for SM investigations, MRI scans or treatments (if necessary). To be honest, if they don't cover the investigations or treatment of SM, my husband and I are still ready and willing to put for the finances needed to look after Brooklyn as we knew that was a possibility when getting a Cav, but I really hope insurance will cover this.

Anyway, just wondering if anyone has any opinions, thoughts or any advice. Thanks!!!!

I'd start by going to your vet with this list and ask if this makes any sense going from Brooklyn's records.

They could perhaps exclude SM on the basis of ear and skin issues being listed which implies that scratching at ears/body has been reported in the past? It is very hard to know.

How has Brooklyn been? I don't know anything about pet insurance, except that I now wish I had it. I hope for you that everything you need to do is covered. As you know, I've been going through lots of medical stuff with Sydney. We don't have insurance and it is VERY expensive. But we will do what has to be done and luckily we are able to afford it. Sydney's medications alone are over $400 a month.

You asked on my thread if there were anything you could do for me. The best answer I have is just to do what you are doing. Popping in and commenting on a thread shows support and that whats helps the most. The exchange of ideas among everyone here is great and being a "cyberspace" family is nice. I'll keep checking in on you and Brooklyn.

Hmm, I sure hope so! I know mine would say skin and ear problems would be excluded as well so I'm curious to see if they will cover although i have a different insurance company.

Ugh, insurance companies. I applied last week for pet insurance for Lady and Lola at PROSURE (Vet's Own). It will be interesting to see the exclusions, seeing as I go to the vet for every little worry I have! Eek.

I would immagine that if you have mentioned the scratching to the vet in the past that is the reason for the exclusion of skin disorders and ear disorders.

Its hard to know whether they would go back to this if you investigated SM and say that it was the first symptom shown and exclude that as well.

An example that i have is that when Ruby was 8 months old we were playing Tug of War and she yelped out and stopped playing.
I took her to the vets to get her mouth and teeth checked and nothing was found to be the reason and that was that.
Well, when I took her to be scanned for SM 2 years later that was listed as the first symptom shown!! Luckily I had her insured from the breeder and carried that insurance on from 8 weeks so everything is included in her insurance.
But at the time SM was the last thing I would possibly have thought of!

I hope you can get some of the exclusions removed but I wonder why they have listed public liability as one?

Back