• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Pet Plan verses Axa Pet Insurance

Teresa

I have always used Pet plan but in these days of tightening belts financially I have decided to swop Cassies insurance to AXA from Petplan...There was a discussion on this on the forum a few weeks ago...
I am just wondering of other peoples experiences??? Pet Plan seem to think AXA will hike their premium up after the first year...do they offer low premiums at first to "suck you in"?? I am worried now I am doin the wrong thing!!!!!

Opinions gratefully recieved, Thanks

Hello Teresa

If I think on when I get back from L/pool about 8.45 pm (Lukes karate lesson )
i will post what I paid last Oct for my four ,they have all been with Axa since pups
and I think I pay less than £500 for all ,and last Oct Pops was 4 and Daisy + Rosie 3
with Lily 2.

Brian I was chatting to Sins on Facebook and said you were the one to ask :)) Thanks xx

Two of mine are with AXA and have been for the last 3 years. No big increase since I have been with them. I think last year the monthly payment dropped by a pound. I pay12.99 a month for each of my dogs.

I'm afraid my experience with AXA is mixed. My oldest dog (8 when I first took out the policy and now 10) had a huge hike after the first year - from £16 to £19 per month, even though I made no claims. And I can't change back (or to another policy) now because of her heart failure counting as a pre-existing condition.

My two youngest dogs (now aged 2 and 4 and perfectly healthy) have stayed at around £10 per month. In fact, the youngest one of all actually went down a little after the first year, as there is more risk to a dog under 12 months old than to a 1-2 year old (because of the likelihood of accidents I was told).

Haven't had any experience of making a claim with AXA yet, but PetPlan were always very quick and pleasant to deal with. I think it's all swings and roundabouts really!

If I am correct.. AXA is who More Than are with. I thought they more than did a rough thing by saying that they pay you back the price you paid for the dog, if they die.
But when it comes down to it, they take off of that any monthly premiums you havent paid yet for that year. So as we had only paid 3 months we had to pay them back 9 months .. meaning the £550 swiftly went down to about £150!

If I am correct.. AXA is who More Than are with. I thought they more than did a rough thing by saying that they pay you back the price you paid for the dog, if they die.
But when it comes down to it, they take off of that any monthly premiums you havent paid yet for that year. So as we had only paid 3 months we had to pay them back 9 months .. meaning the £550 swiftly went down to about £150!

I think it's different if you insure direct with AXA rather then being with More than and AXA being the underwriter.

Teresa

I am sorry I forgot ,Luke did a double so we didnt get in till 10.10 pm ,am I forgiven pls.

Teresa, I have been with Petplan for the last 11 years and they have steadily increased their premiums year after year, even before I had made any claims, don`t know what Ollie`s will be in the second year as it`s not due until July and I have not had paperwork through yet. I may well phone AXA and get a quote for little Ollie.

We've had both of ours insured with Axa since being pups. Sally is now 4 and Lois 2. We pay £10 odd for one and £11 odd for the other. The excess is £75. We have claimed twice on Sally's policy and one of those was for a £800 bill for cardiac investigations. AXA dealt directly with the animal hospital and sorted it all out for us and the premium doesnt seem to have gone up. Hope this helps

I have been with Pet Plan for almost 4 years. They have steadily increased the premiums but I have made a lot of
claims which they have paid without question. The service is excellent. Before you change remember a new company
may not cover existing conditions.

Just done an online quote for Ollie who is nearly 14th months and AXA came up with £7000 vet fees, excess £100 (not sure if cover for life) for £15.38 per month, at the moment with Petplan I have £4000 vet fees cover for life, £75 excess for £22.40 per month, (Ollie has the small discount for a second dog). I must agree Petplan have been very good with the claims we have made for our older dog.

Tania;394374 Before you change remember a new company may not cover existing conditions.[/QUOTE said:
As Tania has mentioned, exisitng conditions may not be covered if you switch companies. I posted a few weeks back about the problems I had now that I have switched companies http://www.cavaliertalk.com/forums/showthread.php?38357-Pet-insurance-dilemma. I have learned a diffuclt lesson here as anything in the clinical history can be perceived as pre-existing even if your pet is not diagnosed or treated for an illness. I understand how tempting it is to swap for the cheaper premium so perhaps you might want to check your clinical history before you commit to swapping. My own personal experience means I now regret swapping :bang:

I have been sending emails to AXA to clarify a few points and this paragraph in a reply from them might be of interest to some of us. I am going to go with them I think

Quote:

' I can confirm your policy is what your vets regularly refer to as a lifetime policy.
This is what we call a re-instatement policy. This means you have £7000.00 per year for all conditions that god forbid your pet may develop. At renewal when you renew whatever you have used out of that allowance will automatically top back up to the £7000.00. The excess on the policy would therefore be once per condition per policy year.This type of insurance offers cover ongoing conditions such as diabetes, or heart murmur etc (life long conditions) as long as they showed first clinical signs of diagnosis within the period of insurance. '

Diana ( Alfie's Mum )

Hi

Teresa as promised just dug out Daisy's AXA premiums .

2008 Sept Aged 1yr 9 month £120.20
2009 Sept Aged 2yr 9 month £113.75
2010 Sept Aged 3yr 8 month £125.12

No claims made and excess £75.00 ,hope it helps .With Rosie I expect an increase as I claimed £2200 last Oct for a full MRI.

Thanks for all your replies...I have left Barney with Pet Plan as he has rather a large history at the Vets....i would be bonkers to change him. His premium at nine is around £36 a month, at present the two tablets he is on come to over £40 a month..

Cassie has a clean bill of health from birth so I thought now would be the time to change if I was going to. PP have always given fabulous service, I told the girl that on the phone. I have now swopped her over...I'll let you all know how it goes over the years...

(Blueroses, your post below), I called Axa as on their website it details the following:

Quote:
Unlike some insurers, we continue to cover long-term conditions for as long as you insure your pet with us.

Long-term care you can rely on

THis is written no where within the policy I recieved or the policy booklet.. I called AXA and the person I spoke to was stumped..I said I was looking for reassurance that it was a "covered for life policy". There are a couple of places in the policy booklet that gave a littel reassurance but nowhere does it have the wording above. I have now printed out the webpage to keep with the policy. The rep I spoke to said as long as the premium is paid then all claims up to £7000 will be honoured renewing fully every year regardless of illness etc. As with PP each condition would have a new excess to pay each year too. Hopefully I was getting cold feet over nothing :)

(Blueroses quote - ' I can confirm your policy is what your vets regularly refer to as a lifetime policy.

This is what we call a re-instatement policy. This means you have £7000.00 per year for all conditions that god forbid your pet may develop. At renewal when you renew whatever you have used out of that allowance will automatically top back up to the £7000.00. The excess on the policy would therefore be once per condition per policy year.This type of insurance offers cover ongoing conditions such as diabetes, or heart murmur etc (life long conditions) as long as they showed first clinical signs of diagnosis within the period of insurance.

Back