• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

puppies eating grass

gamefanz

So here starts my puppy questions LOL
Toby loves the backyard. We've had to downsize his play area though due to him chewing on rocks. That is doing well now but he loves pulling the grass out of the ground, chewing on it and eating it. We tell him no in a strong voice, sometimes he will listen but mostly he doesn't. We try to redirect him with a toy, that works for a bit and then he is back to pulling grass. I have even tried a soda can with pennies in it and taped shut. I shake it and he usually stops and moves away from it but then he is back to chewing on it again.
I know grass can be bad for him if eaten a lot and I am not sure how to correct this behavior. Any advice?
We are doing clicker training. He does well at "sit" and will do it when I don't have the treat bag. He will do the "come" command when he is training but when he is not it is hit or miss. When he is outside he will not do it at all. He does "down" sometimes during training and never when not. He doesn't know "off" yet and really I am stumped how to get him to let go of things.
We are still trying to correct the biting. I use the soda can and he will stop and move away and sometimes saying No in a firm voice he will stop. Saying "ouch" in a firm hurting way does not do a thing.
Any advice? We are trying to be as positive as possible but his teeth are very sharp, he will grab a toe and pull and they is just too much. He has poked holes in us LOL
Thanks for the help
Becky

Last edited:
So here starts my puppy questions LOL
Toby loves the backyard. We've had to downsize his play area though due to him chewing on rocks. That is doing well now but he loves pulling the grass out of the ground, chewing on it and eating it. We tell him no in a strong voice, sometimes he will listen but mostly he doesn't. We try to redirect him with a toy, that works for a bit and then he is back to pulling grass. I have even tried a soda can with pennies in it and taped shut. I shake it and he usually stops and moves away from it but then he is back to chewing on it again.
I know grass can be bad for him if eaten a lot and I am not sure how to correct this behavior. Any advice?
We are doing clicker training. He does well at "sit" and will do it when I don't have the treat bag. He will do the "come" command when he is training but when he is not it is hit or miss. When he is outside he will not do it at all. He does "down" sometimes during training and never when not. He doesn't know "off" yet and really I am stumped how to get him to let go of things.
We are still trying to correct the biting. I use the soda can and he will stop and move away and sometimes saying No in a firm voice he will stop. Saying "ouch" in a firm hurting way does not do a thing.
Any advice? We are trying to be as positive as possible but his teeth are very sharp, he will grab a toe and pull and they is just too much. He has poked holes in us LOL
Thanks for the help
Becky

Throw those tiny star treats in the grass and he will be distracted sniffing for those.

Back