• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Hello hello!

Nela

Hello everyone!

Unfortunately, I have no adorable pictures to introduce myself with as I do not have a puppy yet but I hope to have some soon. You see, I have recently (well, okay, already a year now) moved here (the Netherlands) from Montreal and have found myself longing for some company. Not that our 2 cats, 2 bunnies, and 2 guinea pigs aren't wonderful... It's just that, well, have you tried taking any of those out for a walk with you? Hehehe. It doesn't help that this country is so dog-friendly and nearly everyone has at least one dog. Anyway, I do not work and do not plan to so I thought having a puppy would really fill that void that I have been feeling. After months of trying to convice the boyfriend, he's finally accepted to welcome a new family member.

Meanwhile, I did a lot of research about dogs in general. This would be my very first dog and though I think I know quite a bit, I knew there was much to learn. (Thank the bunnehs I did!) I wanted a small dog so that s/he wouldn't feel suffocated but I wanted the big dog experience I guess. I remembered how I liked cocker spaniels a lot and that's how I came across the cavalier. Oh my, the more I read about the breed, the more I felt that this was the kind of dog that should join our family. I read and read, looked at pictures, teared up over videos... I was just smitten by them. So much so that I simply cannot see myself getting any other kind of dog.

Now, I have been informed of the ailments that the dogs can suffer from and though this makes me very nervous, I still feel compelled to bring home a cavalier. I feel like it's this breed or none at all. However, finding a puppy has proven to be much harder than I thought. Don't get me wrong, there are local ads where I can easily get a puppy for cheap but that's not what I am wanting to do, not after being informed of the health concerns. Right now, my greatest fear is being unable to find a puppy that comes from exactly the type of breeder I am looking for. It's so darn hard to locate breeders.

So anyway, right now, I am just educating myself as much as possible and hoping that we find the right one soon. I have found this forum to be a wealth of information and I am very happy to be here. I hope to join you guys as a proud cavalier owner.

Thank you for letting me join!

Welcome to CavalierTalk and well done for learning about the breed, and making an informed decision to buy a cavalier puppy from a responsible breeder.

There are a small handful of Dutch Breeders that have been working with Dr Clare Rusbridge for years.
It is these pioneering breeders that have bred to the SM breeding guidelines and shown they can work.

It may be worth contacting the kennels shown on the website.

http://www.cavalierkingcharlesgilde.nl/index.php?inf=alg_n

The Google translation of their Home page reads.........

"Welcome to CavalierKingCharlesGilde.nl!
The Guild was created by a group of breeders in the Netherlands that the Cavalier club health of males and females testing for hereditary disorders that are currently an urgent need, under the motto: "Knowledge is power".
The purpose of this website is the approximation of the breeders of Cavalier King Charles Spaniel and the health of our breed promotion. We believe in openness in the breeding of our Cavalier. We discuss and share our knowledge with each other. Also, we collectively agree on testing for health, advertising, puppies, etc"

Oh thank you so much! I had not come across this nor these breeders! It would be great to get a dog that works with Dr. Rusbridge! :D

Back