• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

DNA test.

GreenDenmark

Yesterday I received 2 sets to take DNA samples from Curly Coated Syndrome (CCS) & episodic Falling Syndrome (EFS)

I should have taken the tests next week when my 2 girls and I is going to the vet.

When I receive the results and I'll publish it :smile:

I think Coco maybe has the bad CCS gene cause her father has it.

Some others who have tested their dogs ?

Hi Torben,
One of mine has been tested and is genetically clear.
I'll test the youngest later in the year.
You don't need the vet to take the sample,it's easy to do !
Good luck with the result,hopefully your beautiful girl has not inherited a copy of the mutation.
Sins

Good luck with the testing Torben - I hope to have one of my girls tested later in the year.

Great news about Holly, Sins :D

They started the first test about 1st. January

There er 71 dog tested now.
12 with CCS (1 dead)
11 is BH
1 TRI.

18 with EFS (4 is ill)
10 is BT
3 is BH
5 is RB

They started the first test about 1st. January

There er 71 dog tested now.
12 with CCS (1 dead)
11 is BH
1 TRI.

18 with EFS (4 is ill)
10 is BT
3 is BH
5 is RB

On June 2nd Tania and I went to a health seminar at the Animal Health Trust, where they developed this DNA test.

There was a talk by Catherine Mellersh on Canine Genetics and Inherited Disease & we were shown a slide that said that 165 cavaliers had been tested for CC and EF since it was officially launched in the UK on April 18th.

Then they showed how many of those were UK dogs.........16

There was a footnote that said that a recent test for late onset PRA ( an eye condition ) in Gordon Setters had resulted in 240 UK dogs being DNA tested in 78 days.

I have had Faith DNA tested for CC & EFS
For £48 it seemed commonsense to make sure that I was not spending so much time and money trying to get her in whelp only to find the puppies were affected by a preventable condition.

It was done by my vet simply so that I could show her microchip number had been independently checked when the swabs were taken.

I'm pleased to say that she is clear of both conditions

:sl*p:

For a test originating in the UK? I wonder how many on the health committee and cavalier club committees? Some of these people have over the years expressed distress to many pet owners on email lists and boards over their cavaliers with CCS and EFS and talked about how terrible it is for breeders to find they have bred CCS puppies as they immediately put them down. And about how badly breeders in this breed need some definite genetic tests. Now they have some for some truly horrible diseases that are exclusive to cavaliers. Dr Jacques Penderis says given research work and tests on dogs over several years -- and he is the leading expert -- he considers EFS to be a COMMON gene in the breed and more common as a symptomatic condition in cavaliers than epilepsy.

Surely these people, who I could name and expect are very likely NOT on that list, the club and especially individual health reps should be giving extremely strong public support to these tests and demonstrating by example and testing all their own dogs?

Surely it is better to spend £48 ONE TIME per breeding dog, rather than pay the same amount to kill puppies you have bred? Or find you have dogs of your breeding suffering with these conditions? If club breeders will not do this wonderful test to eliminate definitely any chance of breeding dogs with these genes, then tell me how they are any different from puppy farmers? :confused: They are knowingly choosing to dice with painful and in the case of CCS eventually fatal, horrific conditions that could be prevented for the price of, what -- a tank of petrol for driving to a dog show? A couple of show entries? A cheap hotel room for a show for one night? A single large bag of dog food?

we were shown a slide that said that 165 cavaliers had been tested for CC and EF since it was officially launched in the UK on April 18th.

There was a footnote that said that a recent test for late onset PRA ( an eye condition ) in Gordon Setters had resulted in 240 UK dogs being DNA tested in 78 days.

To put it in context........8154 cavaliers were registered with the UK Kennel Club in 2010.

306 Gordon Setters were registered in 2010.

What is even more impressive is that the Gordon Setter PRA test results are recorded and published on the KC registration papers for all to see.

I have had Faith DNA tested for CC & EFS
For £48 it seemed commonsense to make sure that I was not spending so much time and money trying to get her in whelp only to find the puppies were affected by a preventable condition.

It was done by my vet simply so that I could show her microchip number had been independently checked when the swabs were taken.

I'm pleased to say that she is clear of both conditions

That is just fantastic news Margaret, I'm so thrilled for you (y)

I think it's an absolute tragedy that only 16 dogs have been tested in the UK - as Karlin says, breeders have been demanding genetic tests for years, this isn't even that expensive, there is no stress to the dog, it would seem to be the answer they have been looking for...

I guess their reaction will be "not another test" :mad:

Sadly I don't think those poor puppies would be taken to the vets to be PTS - but that's another topic entirely and we won't go there :(

Why is it that breeders of other breeds are so much more concerned about health issues? they seem to really care about the future of their breeds, about their dogs suffering - we have one of the most loving, happiest breeds in the World, and yet they have the misfortune to be in this culture of only caring about what's winning in the show ring and money from puppy sales.

I do realise that obviously other breeds are also bred at puppy farms, and there are many out there who only care about money, but the club members should be leading from the front setting an example - so that puppy buyers who approach them realise that the dogs should be tested - if they then choose to go elsewhere, maybe they will ask if they are health tested and not fobbed off with "well I've never seen that in my lines"

How many dogs have been mated in the time since the test has been available - and only 16 have been tested, not all of those will have been bred...

This is also a diagnostic test

This is also a test that will be useful for vets, as it will confirm if dogs are affected with the syndromes.
Especially useful for those cavaliers that have collapsing symptoms.

Although most Curly Coat/Dry Eye puppies are identified and PTS at a very young age there does seem to be a few cavaliers that are not obviously affected from the time they open their eyes, and so do enter the puppy market.

These puppies usually still have a sparse 'brillo pad' coat but do not develop the really painful dry eye until they are slightly older.

Torben-good luck on your results.

Has anyone fromt the U.S. had the test done? I have tried to order but keep receiving errors. Congrats on those having the test done and recieving good results!

Yesterday I've received the first result.

Luna is now CLEAR for Curly coat dry eve syndrome and for Episodic falling. (y)
I hope the result for Coco is coming at Monday.

I just thought you might be interested to know that before the Midland CKCS Club's Open Show started this morning an announcement was made that there are to be 20 free test facilities offered and to be paid for by the CKCS Club. Application forms were available at the show, to be returned to Peter Towse, who will select the recipients from the completed applications.

While making the announcement the seriousness of the two defects and the conditions they carry with them were outlined. Additionally, I offered to give any further information about CC/DE, it's symptoms and diagnosis to anyone who contacts me.

I don't think it fair to say that the clubs are doing nothing. My calculator tells me that 20 x £48 totals £960 worth of free testing. Rather more than nothing don't you think.

A wonderful idea.

I presume that all Club members are going to be notified and given the chance of this free test?

It will of course be important that everyone has an equal chance to benefit from this new initiative and that the method used to choose the lucky applicants is completely unbiased and fair.
Do you know how this will be done?

Congratulations Torben on Luna's results - paws crossed for Coco too.

I'm thrilled that the club [Midland club or parent club?] are financing 20 tests, that's great news - unfortunately there doesn't seem to be any information on either the parent club or Midland club sites :confused:

Do you know any more information please Flo? There doesn't seem to be anything about it on a certain other forum either :?

Is this test being recommended all Cavaliers take, or just breeding dogs? Just as how I eventually want Coco MRI'd I now want to have these DNA tests done as well...

Back