View Full Version : Puppy dilemma, please help?

1st July 2011, 10:21 PM
Sadly our beloved cav Chloe got her wings last week. My Husband and Son are completely devastated - I am upset but holding it together for them. Before Chloe got poorly we were talking of adding to our fur family with another cav and I think now would be a good time to do so. I really feel it would help my Husband especially. Chloe went everywhere with us and my husband is really missing her presence - long walks, the shops, the allotment, school run, car journey visiting family.

I am on the look out and I have come across this ad and she looks GORGEOUS!....[link removed by admin]
Does anyone have any experience with the 'skull not fused' situation? Is this going to be very problematic in the long run? After everything that has happened with Chloe I do not want to put my family through the loss or ill health of another cavvie so soon. xxxxxx

1st July 2011, 10:49 PM
The ad isn't loading for me. But I think this is the open fontanel that I've heard happens to cavalier pups sometimes (and other breeds as well, but it may be more common in cavaliers).
As cavaliers are already prone to a skull deformity (CM), and hydrocephalus, I would be extremely wary. Your best bet is to get a puppy from a health-focused breeder, one who has both parents over age 2.5 years, with cardiologist clearance, and neurologist clearance.

Kate H
1st July 2011, 11:32 PM
I had a Cavalier with an open/enlarged fontanel and he was the most difficult dog I have ever had to deal with. In part this was because, having in effect a hole in his skull, he was handled as little as possible and not allowed to play with the rest of the litter as they got older, in case he was damaged, so when I had him at 4 months he had hardly been socialised with people or dogs at all. His breeder also said that the vet thought he might have brain damage. And he almost certainly had a degree of hydrocephalus. His breeder looked for a home for him through the local Cavalier club rescue, which is how I heard about him. I went up to see him and met this scowling little scrap - and knew he was my job. He lived for 10.5 years and finally died of heart failure and over that time we did forge a close bond, but it was very hard work. The turning point was accidentally discovering that Rowley adored raisins (yes I know, bad for dogs etc but never did him any harm!), so that at last I had some way of rewarding him (he was totally indifferent to praise and fuss) and encouraging him to approach other people. Physically, Rowley was never ill, but he did find life difficult and sometimes bewildering.

I can't get into the advert, so don't know exactly what it says about his condition. Buying from this source, would you be able to meet the breeder and the puppy's parents and ask to see health certificates for heart and SM for both parents? This is essential with any puppy but especially so for Cavaliers, with their serious health problems. Margaret C on this forum keeps a list of breeders who breed for good health and do all the necessary tests, so it would be worth emailing her for advice.

So sorry you have lost Chloe - Cavaliers do wind their little paws round your heart.

Kate, Oliver and Aled

2nd July 2011, 02:04 AM
I am so sorry for your loss and understand the hole that our pets can leave behind in our lives. Getting a puppy would sure keep all of you guys busy, and I am sure Chloe would be honored that you guys are moving on and being happy. Cavs just hate it when we are down!

The only thing to be wary of is the source of your breeder, as others have mentioned. Make sure to find a health focused on! Generally, most reputable breeders don't put ads on main stream kinds of websites, but some might. Just do your research and be careful, you guys will have a little bundle of joy soon I am sure. Good things come to those who wait!

2nd July 2011, 05:39 AM
Atlas had an open fontanelle and it closed. It is actually quite common and it happens all the time in human babies. He's perfectly healthy. Most importantly if you can't handle the fact that your dog may have future health issues, you probably shouldn't get a dog.

2nd July 2011, 06:35 AM
Atlas had an open fontanelle and it closed. It is actually quite common and it happens all the time in human babies. He's perfectly healthy. Most importantly if you can't handle the fact that your dog may have future health issues, you probably shouldn't get a dog.

I do agree with that since you never know for sure.... You are dealing with a living creature. It may be worth considering letting wounds heal in your family. The loss of a loved one hurts but it may not be fair for the new dog to have to fill chloes shoes when all you are still grieiving..

2nd July 2011, 08:45 AM
Thanks for the all the advice; we will continue on out search and I am going to call our regular vet regarding the the puppy I posted about originally.

We are able to deal with the ill health of a dog, we have had dogs throughout our lives - things are just still a little raw after Chloe.. I maybe didn't put it across as well as I could of.

2nd July 2011, 12:09 PM
I am so sorry to hear about Chloe. :(

I removed the link as I do not allow links to ads for dogs or breeder advertisements or dogs for free; you can read about what is OK in the Getting Started section. :thmbsup:

I personally would not think it a good idea to take on a health-compromised dog so soon after the loss of one -- open fontanels sometimes close but often do not and the dog may die simply from a mild head impact or begin to have seizures and other problems. Open fontanels in breeds other than chihuahuas (where they are. bizarrely, common) tend to be nked to serious health issues like hydrocephalus which can be very devastating to deal with.

I think waiting a bit and honouring Chloe's memory for a while, then getting either a rescue dog or a puppy from a properly health testing breeder (eg MRI scans, cardiologist-heart tested, EFS-Curly Coat/Dry Eye DNA test) would be the way to go.

Margaret C on the board often has names of breeders with puppies from health tested lines (you can PM her privately as I don't allow names to be posted publicly).

Many rescues need fosterers to help save lives, and maybe that would be a wonderful thing to do in the meantime? :D