• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Trupanion and PetPlan Insurance Options

DSB Cavs

I am comparing Trupanion to PetPlan. It appears that if you are in the USA, PetPlan uses Allianz to underwrite policies and the co-pay is 20% instead of 10% for emergency and referrals. Trupanion indicates the co-pay is 10%. Has anyone done a comparison of these two plans? I'm having a terrible time making up my mind between these two companies.

I did some googling and found this:
http://pet-insurance.findthebest.co...-Provider-vs-Trupanion-Pet-Insurance-Provider
We brought Toby home 2 weeks ago and on his first day we bought Trupanion. We've heard tons of great stories of this company. On friday we had his second shots and our vet and all the staff said we have a great insurance company. They all love trupanion. My vet praised us for getting insurance, she said she wishes more people would do that.
Of course we cannot tell you anything about claims yet. We are paying $33 and that includes hip dysplasia.
I hope that helps
Becky

Trupanion is great but remember it does not cover office visits, special food or any "routine stuff". I originally started with a $200 deductible but quickly lowered it to $0 because my typical sick visits ran in the 200-300 dollar range and once you minus the deductible and the office visit there was only $20 to be covered at 90% so it wasnt worth it. Now with 0 deductible I know it's just minus office visit and 10% since they will cover the rest. The monthly increase to change to a zero deductible was $3-4 dollars so for me it seemed worth it at the time. Now that Jack requires ~$150 a month in CM medication, I am very glad I changed the deductible!!! Just an FYI from my own experience with this insurance.
I have had it for 2.5 years and have not yet had any increases to my premium.

I've had several different plans throughout the years and currently have PetPlan specifically because it covers SM. They covered Shelby's MRI minus my $200 deductible. I have a silver plan/$200 deductible/20% copay. Am very happy with PetPlan.

I also have PetPlan and am very happy with it. I have 100% coverage (no co-pay) and a $100 deductible. I pay $34 a month. Have made 3 claims totalling $2,000 (including a cardiologist visit) and they reimbursed $1700 of it. I like the fact that they cover SM, MVD, prscriptions and alternative therapy like acupunture. (y)

Well, I made my decision and went with Trupanion yesterday. I realize it doesn't cover the office visits; however, I was concerned about the co-pay jumping to 20% for emergency visits and referrals. I thing they are both great plans. I feel better now that I have the insurance! The next time I get a puppy, I will definitely get insurance from the very beginning! Not having it is just too darn scary!

Back