PDA

View Full Version : Scooby still battling along - was "Not good news ... We're losing..."

smarsden99
3rd July 2011, 08:08 PM
:(

Hi All,

Iam afraid this update is not good news , scooby has deterioated and we are struggling to keep fluid off his chest, his breathing is very laboured and he is panting such alot..... The hot weather is not helping him either but hes not very well....

I was supposed to be celebrating my 40th bithday this weekend and was until scooby took a turn for the worse now all I can do is cry and worry how much time he has left...........

Sharon and Scooby

Karlin
3rd July 2011, 08:27 PM
I am so sorry; I have been through this as well.

Have you tried an injection of frusemide/lasix to relieve the fluid? Also the addition of spironolactone, another diuretic? Though I lost my Lucy earlier this week, she had an additional happy 5 months after adding in spironolactone, which made a huge difference, and this kept her breathing far more comfortable. I had to up the dose once from 10mg to 20mg, the top of what she could get at her weight, but it really made such a difference for her.

On autopsy she did have some fluid in her belly, but her breathing and movement had not been bothered by it.

Hope he improves, and that you can try to enjoy your b-day at least a little bit. Try to focus on how much good extra time he has had with you from the point where you first posted... :) It has really been very many months of some good response to his care from you.

If he is really struggling I would get him in the vet asap to see if this can be relieved. :flwr:

Nicki
3rd July 2011, 08:31 PM
Sharon, I've started this as a new thread as I was worried it might be missed.

I'm so desperately sorry to hear this news :( very hard for you, it's heartbreaking to watch them deteriorate. All you can do is keep him comfortable and treasure these days.

This hot weather really will not be helping him, I'm sure you are keeping him cool.

So sad that it has been your birthday weekend - but we are thinking of you and sending birthday greetings.

You and Scooby are in our thoughts

Kate H
3rd July 2011, 08:33 PM
Thinking of you :hug:

Kate, Oliver and Aled

Nicki
3rd July 2011, 08:34 PM
Sharon sent me this photo of Scooby for the calendar and I thought I would share it so we can keep him in our thoughts

http://www.pbase.com/trevorhughes/image/136081127/original.jpg

Sydneys Mom
3rd July 2011, 09:38 PM
Saying prayers for Scooby and your family. Hugs

Tania
4th July 2011, 12:00 AM
Gentle hugs to you and Scooby, we are thinking of you. :hug:

Margaret C
4th July 2011, 12:24 AM
Thinking of you and your brave little Scooby.

Cathy T
4th July 2011, 12:38 AM
Keep you and Scooby in my thoughts. Hopefully you can get him comfortable.

Jasper and Holly
4th July 2011, 02:04 AM
Thinking of you and Scooby. It's such a terrible thing to go through.

GraciesMom
4th July 2011, 02:20 AM
What a precious little thing he is. Love to you and Scooby.

gyoselyn
4th July 2011, 03:13 AM
Thinking of you and Scooby and saying a lot of prayers :hug:

Jay
4th July 2011, 04:48 AM
Sending lots of prayers your way for Scooby and you. What a wonderful photo of him. He is a lovely dog. I hope you find the right meds to help him.

J.

merello
4th July 2011, 05:50 AM
Thinking of you and Scooby :hug:

robbieswan
4th July 2011, 06:03 AM
Big hugs from me too.

ByFloSin
4th July 2011, 08:39 AM
So nice to see a picture of this gorgeous little tri. I have a weakness for them, as all who know me realise ;) And what an adorable face.

There is no way anyone can give up on a dog as beautiful as this one, so go back to that vet and take a print out of Karlin's posting with you so that you can both consider whether that form of revised treatment will help. It helped Karlin's dog, so why not yours.

I haven't heard the fat lady sing yet, so you go for it and let us know what the vet says please.:cool:

Bet
4th July 2011, 09:39 AM
So nice to see a picture of this gorgeous little tri. I have a weakness for them, as all who know me realise ;) And what an adorable face.

There is no way anyone can give up on a dog as beautiful as this one, so go back to that vet and take a print out of Karlin's posting with you so that you can both consider whether that form of revised treatment will help. It helped Karlin's dog, so why not yours.

I haven't heard the fat lady sing yet, so you go for it and let us know what the vet says please.:cool:

WE r LOSING THE BATTLE

Sharon,

I know this will be of no comfort to you, we have been there, but some-times you have to bite the Bullet.

Thinking of you,and Karlin I was so sorry to read about Lucy

Bet

susandavis1
4th July 2011, 10:01 AM
Thinking of you and Scooby :flwr:

Sydneys Mom
4th July 2011, 03:10 PM
Sharon, how is Scooby today? I thought about both of you all day yesterday and kept my fingers crossed that Scooby got some relief. I continue to keep you both in my thoughts and prayers. :hug:

jasperpaw
4th July 2011, 04:10 PM
I am so very sorry to read about Scooby, you and Scooby are in my thoughts.:hug:

smarsden99
4th July 2011, 05:05 PM
Hi,

Iam so grateful for the overwhelming support I have been given by you all it means so much, the last 24 hours have been very traumatic scooby was very poorly and unable to stand for very long.... I increased his water tablets over the last 24/48 hours and I came down this morning ready to call the vet to see what they could do to help him......

All I can say is that thanks to your love and support and alot of prayers I was greeted by my liitle man with a wagging tail and if he could smile Iam sure he would have done , his breathing seems to be a little easier today so keeping him on high dose water tablets for another couple of days and keeping everything crossed we can get him stable........

Thanks for all your messages of support , we r not out of the woods but there is a glimmer of hope that my special little boy is going to stay with me a little while longer. Here's hoping......

Love and hugs
Sharon and Scooby

Sydneys Mom
4th July 2011, 05:54 PM
That's great news. Our cavaliers are such strong little creatures they just keep surprising us. I'm so glad Scooby feels a little better today and is wagging his tail.

Nicki
4th July 2011, 06:31 PM
WOW that really wasn't the news I expected to hear but it's made my day b*n*n*b*n*n*

So relieved he has perked up a bit, I'd put a call in to your vets to keep them posted on what's happened - and of course keep us posted, maybe all the positive thoughts from here have lifted you both :biggrin:

lovecavaliers
4th July 2011, 08:47 PM
Yeay for Scooby:p He looks so darling in the picture posted. Wishing you both the very best.

Charlifarley
4th July 2011, 08:54 PM
Hi there, I hope Scooby continues to feel better, thank goodness he has perked up a bit.

ByFloSin
4th July 2011, 09:24 PM
Well done Scooby - way to go, way to go :biggrin:

Tania
4th July 2011, 10:04 PM
Pleased to hear Scooby is doing a little better. Hugs to you both. :hug:

Desrae
4th July 2011, 10:34 PM
good to know things are looking up. Hoping he's back to his old self soon. Thinking of you and saying a little prayer.:hug:

Sandrac
5th July 2011, 03:46 PM
Glad Scooby is a bit better - he certainly likes to keep you on your toes.

smarsden99
5th July 2011, 05:56 PM
Hi all,

I have been so touched by your support for me and scooby , I have been very emotional reading your posts it means the world
to me and scooby that you are praying for my little miracle man.........

I held his little head in my hands on sunday night and cried and begged him not to leave me yet and he looked into my eyes and
said 'Iam not just ready yet mum', I have been very ill for the last year and he has been my constant companion we have helped each other
through the worst of days and hes my best friend..... I know one day in the future I will lose him and I know when that time comes he will
be in my heart forever , for the moment hes come back from his near death experience if he was a cat he would have definately used up those nine lives......

Thank you all for your ongoing support it means the world to both of us.....

Love sharon and scooby

Cathy T
5th July 2011, 08:39 PM
:thmbsup: I was holding my breath until I got to your post. Yet another reprieve, am so glad to hear this!! Come on Scooby, keep going little man, we're all behind you and praying for you to continue to improve.

Sydneys Mom
5th July 2011, 09:42 PM
Go Scooby! b*n*n*

Love my Cavaliers
5th July 2011, 10:10 PM
Wow! Scooby must have part of the Energizer Bunny in him - he just keeps on going and going and going, thank heavens! Keep it up Scooby.

mommytoClaire
7th July 2011, 01:34 AM
I'm sorry I missed this last weekend, it wasn't a good weekend for me.But I wanted to check and see how he's doing the last couple days. I'll keep you both in my prayers.

Reptigirl
7th July 2011, 04:24 AM
So happy to hear he is feeling a little bit better! b*n*n* You guys are still in our thoughts!

Sabby
7th July 2011, 11:16 AM
Your last post made me cry. They are our loyal companions always there for us.
Thinking of you and I hope and pray your little man will make it.

smarsden99
8th July 2011, 06:28 PM
Hi all,

Well scooby is still here , I seem to have got him a bit better by playing around with his water tablets , his breathing is easier and he seems a little better. His coughing is getting worse especially on hot days , had him to vets and they have said his chest is fairly clear and Iam doing all the right things we are just playing a juggling act with his medication.....

Every minute , hour and day I still have with him I treasure , hes been my little man since he was a puppy and we never imagined we would get him this far considering how ill he was as a puppy so it proves what a special little man he has been and how he has such a will to live..........

Hugs
Sharon and Scooby
XXXXXXXXX

ByFloSin
8th July 2011, 08:46 PM
Hi all,

Well scooby is still here , I seem to have got him a bit better by playing around with his water tablets , his breathing is easier and he seems a little better. His coughing is getting worse especially on hot days , had him to vets and they have said his chest is fairly clear and Iam doing all the right things we are just playing a juggling act with his medication.....

Every minute , hour and day I still have with him I treasure , hes been my little man since he was a puppy and we never imagined we would get him this far considering how ill he was as a puppy so it proves what a special little man he has been and how he has such a will to live..........

Hugs
Sharon and Scooby
XXXXXXXXX

My heart was in my mouth when I saw your name as posting on the thread Sharon; how nice it is to see some good news about your little man again. My old boy Rebel is my 'man of the house', so I know exactly where you are coming from.

You go Scooby, go man, go, go, go :jmp2:

Nicki
9th July 2011, 11:27 AM
Same here, so it's wonderful to hear the news that Scooby is battling on - glad you've been to the vets, it's important to check in with them esp if you are changing medication around.

jasperpaw
9th July 2011, 01:05 PM
So pleased that Scooby is battling on - he sounds like a real little fighter and lovely to see a photo of him, good that juggling with the medication is helping, we find that by increasing the frusemide for a few days when Jasper`s cough gets worse it seems to help a great deal, on his 3 months check with the vets last time he did say that he found dogs with MVD that stayed on a low dose of frusemide when medication was needed in his experience did better - we have gone from a quarter of a table to a whole tablet when things get worse - Jasper is normally on a half a day.

lindylou
9th July 2011, 03:54 PM
so sorry to hear what you are going through i went through the same with my rowley its heartbreaking

smarsden99
15th July 2011, 08:55 PM
Well it looks like we are off to the vets again tommorow , scooby was doing good until about 4 hours ago and then he is constantely coughing when he moves around and his breathing is laboured again........ I have increased his water tablets tonight and will call the vet first thing to get him checked out in morning.....

Just when you think we are getting him stable for a little while , the times between this happening are getting shorter and shorter.......

We are going on holiday next weekend and my mum is coming to look after scooby , Iam a stressed out wreck worrying about him , its the first holiday since he has been ill and I dont know what to do.........

Sharon and Scooby

Tania
15th July 2011, 09:39 PM
I am so so sorry for you and Scooby. Please don't get upset, you must get him to the vet and see what they can do for him, do you think he is going to be ok until tomorrow?.:hug:

Nicki
15th July 2011, 09:55 PM
I'm so sorry to hear of this latest episode - sadly with MVD this is what happens :(

If he is not able to move around without coughing that badly then I really think you need to 'phone the vet *** NOW ***

At the very least call your duty vet for advice

I would also arrange it so that you are sleeping near to Scooby.

Please keep us posted, you are in our thoughts - don't even think about your holiday yet.

Margaret C
15th July 2011, 10:36 PM
Just when you think we are getting him stable for a little while , the times between this happening are getting shorter and shorter.......

Sharon and Scooby

I'm sorry Sharon, it is so obvious how you love your little boy and how desperate you are to keep him.

Something like this happened with the second cavalier I owned. Miss Matty had MVD but when she was breathless and uncomfortable or coughing a lot the vet would add another drug or increase the dose and she would be fine for a while.

I sort of came to expect that would happen every time. Eventually it didn't and Matty had a few very uncomfortable days before I accepted that we had reached the end of the road.
I was left feeling I had failed her and even now that shadows my memory of her.

That is why I believe that for their sake it is better a day too soon than a day too late.

Sydneys Mom
15th July 2011, 10:41 PM
I really feel for you and Scooby. I know what you're going through as I'm going through similar problems with Sydney. Do you have an emergency vet you can bring him to? It might be better not to wait intil tomorrow. Sending you only good thoughts and prayers.

HollyDolly
15th July 2011, 10:43 PM
Sadly this is the scenario of a dog with MVD- its heartbreaking watching them struggle to breath, coughing so hard
just to get some in in the lungs.
We try so hard to keep them going, and Scooby has had such devotion from you and I am sure you will know
when the time comes to say goodbye.

You are in my thoughts.

Nanette

smarsden99
15th July 2011, 11:00 PM
Thanks all for your comments........

He is settled on his bed for the last couple of hours , his breathing is still a bit laboured but he seems comfortable and hes stopped coughing , I rang the emergency vet and he advised increasing his water tablets for next couple of days . We have rushed him to the emergency vet so many times over the last year that I know when he needs to go and in my view I have got him comfortable for now and I can take him to my own vet first thing in the morning unless something happens overnight.

Iam a realist and I would never keep him going if I thought for one minute I thought he was suffering , when the time is right I will let him go but there have been so many times over the last 12 months when I was ready to make that decision and he fought his way back so I have to wait until he tells me its time.......

Will let you know how he goes , Iam off to get the airbed , another night sleeping in my kitchen......

Sharon and Scooby XX

Sydneys Mom
15th July 2011, 11:10 PM
Sharon your such a good mom. You know scooby better than any of us and I know you'll do what's best for him. Hugs to you and belly rubs for scooby.

Tania
16th July 2011, 05:14 PM
Hi - We are all anxious to hear how Scoobey is doing? :hug:

smarsden99
16th July 2011, 07:57 PM
Hi,

Well he is still here , he didnt have a bad night I had increased his fursomide and I kept him hydrated and took him out for regular wee's during the night . I spent night on an airbed in kitchen , finally got to sleep at 4am and scooby woke me at 6.30am by licking my nose......

Went to vets he has a bit of fluid on his chest so advised to continue increased fursomide dosage for next 2 days and taking him back on tuesday morning for another checkup , vet said not much they can do as he is on all the medications they give out so we just have to see how he goes. Myself and my husband have finally dicussed what we would do if he deterioates further and its the first time we have discussed the subject even though he not at that stage just yet. HIs breathing is still laboured but he hasnot coughed as much today but I can tell he is not happy as he is wandering around the house more and constantly looking where Iam.

I just hope we can get him stable again , we are living day to day / hour to hour with him as I just dont know whats going to happen.....

Will keep you posted.

Sharon and Scooby XXX

jasperpaw
16th July 2011, 08:03 PM
Thinking of Scooby and you, good to hear that he is a little better today and hope he continues to feel better.

Tania
16th July 2011, 09:12 PM
Thank you for letting us know. Thinking of you at this difficult time. :hug:

smarsden99
16th July 2011, 11:27 PM
This is going to be the last post I make for a while , scooby is very poorly and been to emergency vet tonight , she has confirmed his heart meds arenot working anymore .......

She has given him a water injection to help make him comfortable but it looks like we have reached the end of the road , me and my familt are devestated and now have some decisions to make so I will not be writing again until we have done what we can to help scooby......

I cannot describe the pain I feel right now its overwhelming ............

sharon and scooby

xxxx

gamefanz
16th July 2011, 11:34 PM
I know there is nothing that can be said to take away the pain you all are feeling. I just want to reach through this computer to give you so many hugs :hug: So many thoughts for Scooby and for your family!
Just know that you are doing all you can to help Scooby and he knows this. What ever happens, my heart goes out to all of you:hug:
Becky

Jasperxxgabby
16th July 2011, 11:40 PM
I am so, so sorry, my heart goes out to you at this very distressing time, bless you and Scooby :( :hug::flwr:

Sydneys Mom
16th July 2011, 11:59 PM
hugs to scooby and your family.....God bless.

Love my Cavaliers
17th July 2011, 12:50 AM
Oh Poor you, and poor Scooby. At least you know he will be comfortable and pain free soon. I can still remember how brave my 15 year old daughter was when we had to put our german shepherd to sleep. She just held Risha's head in her lap and put her face really close to Risha's ear and talked so soft and sweetly to her as the meds took effect and she just passed away. It was the most peaceful thing and I know my daughter will never regret being there with her. My heart is with you.

Blondiemonster
17th July 2011, 01:05 AM
Oh Poor you, and poor Scooby. At least you know he will be comfortable and pain free soon. I can still remember how brave my 15 year old daughter was when we had to put our german shepherd to sleep. She just held Risha's head in her lap and put her face really close to Risha's ear and talked so soft and sweetly to her as the meds took effect and she just passed away. It was the most peaceful thing and I know my daughter will never regret being there with her. My heart is with you.

Oh boy. That just made me tear up like crazy. Im so sorry for you and scooby. Big hugs....

GeorgesMama
17th July 2011, 01:30 AM
So sad to read this. My little cavalier was just officially diagnosed with dialed cardiomypathy (spelling?). The prognosis is grim, 6 months - a year eventually ending in heart faliure. At the end of the day, the only thing that matters is his happiness. You know your cavalier. He'll tell you when the time is right. Better to have loved and lost than to have never loved at all.

Margaret C
17th July 2011, 10:24 AM
We are all thinking of you and your family

robbieswan
17th July 2011, 10:39 AM
My thoughts are with you all.

Nicki
17th July 2011, 12:51 PM
I'm so sorry Sharon - sadly too many of us have been through this awful time of having to know when to make that dreadful decision. It helped that you and your husband had discussed things, so you are both aware of each other's feelings.

There's nothing I can say to comfort you - this is the Cavalier's only fault, they truly break your heart :(

You are in our thoughts and we hope you will be back with us when you are able to post. :flwr:

Blueroses
17th July 2011, 01:19 PM
Im so very, very sorry :( my heart goes out to you, Scooby and the rest of the family xx

smarsden99
17th July 2011, 09:03 PM
I just wanted to say thank you to you all for your kind words and support.................

We have spent the day together as a family with Scooby , we took him back to the vet this morning and she has given him another water injection to make him more comfortable. I sat my children down today (age 5 and 7) and explained what is going to happen to scooby in the next few days , that he is going to doggy heaven where he will not suffer anymore and will be able to run free and happy again. We have all cried but the most important thing is that we have spent the whole day cuddling scooby and giving him every treat in the world.

Scooby is my best friend , he has especially helped me through some tough times with my health and been my constant companion , both me and my husband know we are doing the kindest thing for him , Iam going to call our vet in the morning and we are going to discuss what needs to be done , I looked into scooby's eyes today and I knew he has had enough , his breathing is so laboured and now the mediciation is failing him its just a matter of time and I feel we need to help him one last time.

We have had scooby bless our lives for the last 9 years , I have loved every minute with him , hes my first dog and I couldn't ask for a better companion.

Once we lose him we will need time to heal but I will keep in touch, you guys have given me and scooby such valuable support over the months , we are very grateful.

Sharon and Scooby XXX

Nicki
17th July 2011, 09:22 PM
My heart goes out to you Sharon, it's good that you have explained to the children, so important for them to know what is happening, and it's a big part of growing up for them, learning to manage grief :(

Your family day together with Scooby has given you some wonderful memories - it's very special to have that time together. We had a similar situation with Teddy, it was very peaceful, we could spoil him with ice cream and chocolate digestives etc etc and just spend that time saying goodbye.

You know you will all be in our thoughts through the next few impossibly difficult days - the support of the forum has been incredibly valuable to many of us at difficult times.

Take care of yourselves xx

Karen and Ruby
17th July 2011, 09:26 PM
I am so so sorry Sharon xxx

There are no words to make you feel any better about this.

Scooby isn't afraid to pass away, it is our fear of emotional pain that keeps them is physical and actual pain. Scooby has given you so so much in his life, and letting him go in peace isn't only the last thing you can do for him, it's the greatest thing you can do for him!
Now that you are at peace with your desision, you can et him be at peace xxx

:hug:

HollyDolly
17th July 2011, 09:34 PM
Thinking of you at this sad time:hug:

Nanette

gamefanz
17th July 2011, 09:39 PM
My heart goes out to you and your whole family at this very sad time:hug:
Becky

Sydneys Mom
17th July 2011, 09:50 PM
I am so sorry to read this. You and your family have done a wonderful job of loving and taking care of Scooby. Having all of you around him (and getting treats of course!) I'm sure brings him much comfort. The main thing right now is that Scooby is peaceful and surrounded by those who love him best. I can't imagine how hard the next few days will be for you. He will always be a part of your heart.

Tania
17th July 2011, 09:55 PM
Bless you for setting Scooby free, you have been a wonderful Mum to him and he has been a very lucky little dog . We are all thinking of you at this sad time. :hug:

Jasper and Holly
17th July 2011, 10:32 PM
It's very sad and my heart goes out to you.

BrooklynMom
17th July 2011, 11:21 PM
I just wanted to say that I am thinking of you. I cannot imagine how hard this must be on everyone in your family, but I know that Scooby is thanking you for loving him and doing everything you could and giving him the best life that he could have ever imagined.

Prayers and love go out to you. :hug:

lovecavaliers
18th July 2011, 03:49 AM
My heart is breaking for you. I echo eveyones thoughts and prayers. You are a very brave and loving mom to set Scooby free from his pain.
:lotsaluv:

smarsden99
18th July 2011, 12:02 PM
I wanted to update you all with the latest for scooby............Scooby was so poorly over the weekend and the emergency vet said his medication was failing and she gave him a 2 high dose water injections to make him comfortable until we could speak to our own vet first thing this morning.

I spent the night with scooby listening to his awful chest and helping him when he coughed and then I made the call to my own vet this morning and he said to bring him down at half ten to assess scooby and to make the arrangements if he felt it was necessary. Myself and my husband got ready and when I went to get scooby ready to go he got so excited for the first time in 4 days and by the time we got to the vets he was bouncing around the reception. Neither us nor the vet could believe it as just yesterday his chest was so bad he coughed all day long , didnt want to eat much and had to be carried outside and back again for a wee.

The vet examined scooby and said his heart is not good but by some miracle his chest is not quite as bad as it was over the weekend and by scooby's behaviour in the room he couldnot put scooby to sleep and we agreed. We have discussed the process when its time and us and the vet know what process we need to follow when its scooby's time.

He has recommended that we leave scooby on the high dose furosimide tablets as we have nothing to lose and we know that if his chest fills again then we have to let him go....... We know we have not bought alot of time and after this weekend we are ready to let scooby go should him health fail again as its the right thing to do . I never imagined I would have walked out of the vets today with scooby we were ready to let him go as he was so poorly over the weekend , I prayed for a miracle and never thought we would have one but as the vet said its not scooby's time just yet , we know in our hearts it will come soon but we have to go with what the vet recommends and he said he wouldnot do it today...........

He said he has never known a cavalier like scooby , how he can come back from the brink.......... We are so emotionally drained

Sharon and Scooby XXX

pippa
18th July 2011, 05:02 PM
I am so in awe of how you are dealing with this....My Pippin has MVD early stages but is on low dose meds.

I hope that if/when I one day have to deal with what you're going through at the moment I will be as strong....

Hugs to you and Scooby xx

Sydneys Mom
18th July 2011, 05:09 PM
What an amazing dog Scooby is. For him to bounce back just shows, in my opinion, that he is not ready to leave you yet. Hugs :l*v:

Erin2854
18th July 2011, 05:49 PM
Wow!!! Go Scooby!! What a little trooper! Every extra day you have with him is a blessing :)

Chamberlain
18th July 2011, 08:51 PM
What an emotional rollarcoaster you have been on! I am glad that Scooby is doing better! Please keep us updated! :paw:

Nicki
18th July 2011, 10:26 PM
Goodness I can't imagine how you are holding up with this - it's good news for Scooby and for you, but so dreadfully draining and very hard to deal with.

Scooby is a truly amazing wee dog, he doesn't want to give up the fight - I hate to say it but maybe he needs your permission to go? I have found that very hard to do in the past, sometimes they keep going for a long time because they think we are not ready to let them go.

I hope you can enjoy some special days, and let him know that you are ready when he thinks it is time.

We are all thinking of you all

Love my Cavaliers
18th July 2011, 10:56 PM
Sometimes dogs rally right before the end. My german shepherd did. I had called the vet one day to tell him that the next day we were going to be bringing her in to be put to sleep. Well, the next morning, she was acting like she was 5 years younger. She went up and down the stairs by herself and she hadn't done that without me slinging her hind legs for almost six months. In comparison to how she had been acting (she had a seizure disorder and progressive neurologic disorder) she was acting almost frisky! I called the vet and said I couldn't do it. Within two days though she took a turn for the worse and didn't move for almost 18 hours. I had to physically pick her up to move her. She couldn't even stand to pee. Then I knew it was time. I think she just wanted us to have one more special time with her before we all said good-bye. Maybe this was Scooby's one more special time with you.

Desrae
18th July 2011, 11:44 PM
Sometimes dogs rally right before the end. My german shepherd did. I had called the vet one day to tell him that the next day we were going to be bringing her in to be put to sleep. Well, the next morning, she was acting like she was 5 years younger. She went up and down the stairs by herself and she hadn't done that without me slinging her hind legs for almost six months. In comparison to how she had been acting (she had a seizure disorder and progressive neurologic disorder) she was acting almost frisky! I called the vet and said I couldn't do it. Within two days though she took a turn for the worse and didn't move for almost 18 hours. I had to physically pick her up to move her. She couldn't even stand to pee. Then I knew it was time. I think she just wanted us to have one more special time with her before we all said good-bye. Maybe this was Scooby's one more special time with you.

:cry*ing::cry*ing::cry*ing: oh my god! I'm just catching up on this thread now, I had to take the dogs out when I was on page 7, was telling my husband it looked like another cavalier was going to Rainbow Bridge. And WOW, what a turnaround, he definitely wants a bit more time with you, so precious.

daffymum
20th July 2011, 08:29 PM
My thoughts are with you and Scooby, I been there with my last dog who lived two more months to celebrate his 14th birthday with us eventhough the vet told me he could go any time. He was on a lot of medication and eventually passed on peacefully whilst sleeping.

BrooklynMom
20th July 2011, 11:33 PM
Oh my gosh! Wow Scooby, you are one amazing dog.

I am sure your prayers were answered, even if only for a short time longer, Scooby wants to give you a little more and a story you will never forget. Now each day is a bonus, full of joy, and when it is his time to go, you will feel so blessed to get these extra moment. Sometimes I believe that even if we say we are ready, dogs are willing to hold on a little longer just to make sure :) Selfless little things.

Hugs to Scooby

smarsden99
26th July 2011, 04:16 PM
Hi,

The latest with scooby after our 'miracle' recovery last week is that we are managing at the moment to keep his chest clear , he is on the maximum dose of furosimide he can have and like to vet said we have nothing to lose. He is back to his normal self , exploring the garden , eating treats and giving the best cuddles.

Iam under no illusion that we are not going to have a long time with him and I know if his chest fills again there is nothing we can do and we have already talked over our wishes with the vet last week so we know what to do when the time comes.....

But for the moment we are enjoying every minute with my little guy and we dont plan too far ahead , one day at a time....

Hugs
Sharon and scooby XXX

Sydneys Mom
26th July 2011, 04:24 PM
WOW!!!!!!!! I,m so glad you wrote. I've been thinking of Scooby amd you. He is a miracle dog and a wonder dog all rolled up in one. Savor each precious moment with him. He totally rocks!

Nicki
26th July 2011, 04:25 PM
Oh that's really lovely to hear, just enjoy each precious day - I'm so glad he is having some extra days in the sunshine with you.

Tania
26th July 2011, 04:58 PM
Big Kiss and gentle hugs to Scooby:hug:

pippa
26th July 2011, 05:31 PM
Glad you are getting to have this time with Scooby....hugs to you both xx

smarsden99
11th August 2011, 06:53 PM
Quick Update

Scooby is still with us , he is now on the maximum dosage of fruisimide he can have and we know when this stops working then we have no options left.......

At the moment he has a decent quality of life , he can go for a wander round the garden with me a few times a day and he is still eating and drinking normally so until he starts to show us something is going wrong again we are enjoying every miniute with my special little man......

Sending all of you hugs especially the ones like us who are having a challenging time....

SHaron and Scooby XXX

GraciesMom
11th August 2011, 07:19 PM
Gracie also sends a lickey. She asks if you can give a tummy rub to Scooby from her. We very much appreciate what it means to enjoy each day as it is.

Nicki
11th August 2011, 07:52 PM
Everytime I see this thread has been updated Sharon my stomach churns, but to come here and read this lovely news is just wonderful. Scooby has amazed us all, he enjoys life too much to leave, and that shows what a wonderful, loving, caring family he is blessed to share his life with.

We know you are treasuring every moment, and you are in our thoughts - thank you for keeping us updated.

Sydneys Mom
11th August 2011, 07:52 PM
Sharon, I'm so glad you updated us. I've been thinking about you and Scooby and glad you are still enjoying him. It's so reassuring to see them still enjoying life even if it is a little slower. Hugs to you for taking such good care of him.

Sydney and I send you all tons of good wishes.:hug:

Reptigirl
11th August 2011, 08:25 PM
I'm also happy to hear that Scooby has been blessed with a little more time! Enjoy every moment :hug:

pippa
12th August 2011, 10:46 AM
Thnak you for the update, I was wondering how he is doing...so good to hear he is still enjoying his time with you and you with him xx

jigglymarina
12th August 2011, 11:17 AM
Dear Sharon and Scooby,
I am new here so I've just learmed of the terrible times you 2 have been going through :( I can't tell you how sad it makes me feel. I wish I could help you in some way. I just recently lost a Cav, not due to ilness, but to a speeding car, and I can't even begin to describe the void Rio left behind... Thankfully, I have Amelie to comfort me now.
Hug Scooby, rub his tummy all the time, give him his favourite treats, play with his as much as you can - Amelie and I will be sending you happy thoughts so that your time with Scooby lasts as long as possible :-) And a kiss from Amelie sure can't hurt ;)

mommytoClaire
12th August 2011, 02:15 PM
I apologize, I thought I had responded to this thread, but in less it's in the first few pages, I don't see anything.

Scooby us truly a miracle dog. I am glad you've had this time to get your head around (as much as one can) having to say goodbye. We very recently had to say goodbye to our other dog. He was like your Scooby, and been through sooo much, but always kept up the fight, and was a happy dog. As long as he is comfortable and happy, then all is well.

It must be especially hard with younger children at home. Enjoy your Summer days with your sweet boy, and know that we're here to hold your hand when the time comes.

Hugs to you all, and especially Scooby.

smarsden99
13th August 2011, 03:38 PM
Scooby wanted me to post on here to say thank you for all your support and kind words and to say he is being spoiled rotten by his mum and family and its all the love and support he is getting at home and from this forum which is spirring him to keep up the battle.

Hugs

Scooby (and his mum) XXX

:jmp2:

Sydneys Mom
13th August 2011, 04:38 PM
So happy about this news! Scooby is an inspiration to me and Sydney. We continue to keep him in our thoughts and prayers every day. :hug:

jasperpaw
13th August 2011, 08:12 PM
Good to read that Scooby it still with you and leading a reasonable quality of life - he is a real little fighter.

smarsden99
14th August 2011, 03:48 PM
Hi All,

Iam taking scooby back to the vets tommorow as I have noticed his coughing is getting worse over the last 24 hours , he is still quite bright but I fear his chest is filling up again , dont know what options we have left anymore as hes on maximum fruisimide...........

Dam MVD!!!

Will let you know what happens....

Sharon and Scooby
XX

pippa
14th August 2011, 03:54 PM
My thoughts are with you and scooby xxx

Sydneys Mom
14th August 2011, 04:05 PM
praying for Scooby, you and your family.

Nicki
14th August 2011, 04:07 PM
Oh no Sharon, so very sorry to hear this :(

Keep us posted when you can, you are in our thoughts.

GraciesMom
14th August 2011, 04:13 PM
We could use some about Scooby and you. Would brighten a rather bleak time. You are in my prayers.

mommytoClaire
14th August 2011, 04:14 PM
So sorry to hear this Sharon. My prayers for you all and especially Scooby. I know he is well loved.

gamefanz
14th August 2011, 04:31 PM
Oh no I'm so sorry Scooby is not doing well again :( My thoughts going out to Scooby, many positive thoughts going out to you. Many many hugs:hug:
Becky

Kathleen
14th August 2011, 05:22 PM
My prayers are with you and Scooby. Please keep us posted...

Tania
14th August 2011, 10:16 PM
Thinking of you and Scooby, I am sorry so sorry. :hug:

BrooklynMom
15th August 2011, 02:42 AM
My thoughts are going to you and Scooby right now. I pray that he is comfortable and watched over. I am so sorry for this continued battle you are facing.
Hugs to Scooby :hug:

Reptigirl
15th August 2011, 02:44 AM
Thinking of you and Scooby!

anniemac
15th August 2011, 06:10 AM
Praying for sweet scooby

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

smarsden99
15th August 2011, 12:01 PM
Thanks guys for your kind thoughts and words....

Took scooby to vets first thing he has got some fluid on his chest but its not 'acute' so he has given him a water injection and said we will have to see how he gets on.....

He has had about 100 wee's and now hes asleep with me in my home office , so we will see what happens thats all we can do now....

Cheers

Sharon and Scooby XXX

Brian M
15th August 2011, 12:03 PM
Hi

You stay there Scooby ,you have a very long time yet Scooby.:)

mommytoClaire
15th August 2011, 02:07 PM
Continuing to hold you in my thoughts and prayers.

GraciesMom
15th August 2011, 02:20 PM
Hang in there little guy!

Sydneys Mom
15th August 2011, 02:45 PM
So glad Scooby will get some relief. will keep praying for all of you.

Tania
15th August 2011, 06:46 PM
Poor little Scooby, we are all praying for the little fellow.:xfngr:

Nicki
15th August 2011, 08:07 PM
Pleased to hear that you managed to get Scooby to the vets and that the injection is helping - it sounds like it's clearing some of the fluid. Poor wee fellow will be exhausted

Thinking of you

pippa
15th August 2011, 08:13 PM
Still in my thoughts and sending gentle hugs to Scooby x

smarsden99
17th August 2011, 09:06 AM
Hi,

Its been a couple of days since scooby had his water injection and it seems to have given him some relief , his chest seems a bit clearer and he is not coughing as frequently , we are going to see how he gets on as for the moment he seems comfortable.....

Scooby's annual vaccination is due this month and Iam tempted to tell them not to bother with him being so ill as I fear it might make things worse? Any advice?

Thanks for all your ongoing support , it means alot to me and the little guy....

Love
Sharon and Scooby XXX

Brian M
17th August 2011, 09:14 AM
Hi Sharon

Thank heavens it is giving Scooby some relief,you two are doing brilliant long may it continue .:)

susandavis1
17th August 2011, 10:05 AM
Glad to hear that Scooby has some relief. He is such a little fighter. Hug to you both :hug:

Margaret C
17th August 2011, 10:10 AM
Hi,

Its been a couple of days since scooby had his water injection and it seems to have given him some relief , his chest seems a bit clearer and he is not coughing as frequently , we are going to see how he gets on as for the moment he seems comfortable.....

Scooby's annual vaccination is due this month and Iam tempted to tell them not to bother with him being so ill as I fear it might make things worse? Any advice?

Thanks for all your ongoing support , it means alot to me and the little guy....

Love
Sharon and Scooby XXX

I'm glad Scooby is still remaining comfortable. Bless him, he is such a little fighter.

I really think it would be unwise to vaccinate a dog as frail as Scooby.

Sabby
17th August 2011, 10:41 AM
Hi,

Love
Sharon and Scooby XXX

Sharon

I would not booster Scooby. My Ebony has got a heart murmer and I have not boostered her for the last 2 years. A blood test confirmed that she still has full immunity. I am lucky i got a good and honest vet. Most vets will push for the booster.

smarsden99
17th August 2011, 11:03 AM
Thanks for the advice guys

My husband and I have decided we are not going to vaccinate scooby this year as he is going through enough at the moment and its just not a priority...

Sound advice from you guys as always......... Iam off to give scooby a treat and a hug.....

Love

Sharon and Scooby

XX

mommytoClaire
17th August 2011, 01:00 PM
I'm glad you decided not to vaccinate. It wouldn't be advisable in his condition, and there is much debate about over vaccinating. I'm sure if you had a titer you would find he still has coverage. I didn't renew vaccinations with my ill dog, and felt confident he was better off not.

Hugs to you both, and praying you have a bit more quality time with your little love.

Love my Cavaliers
17th August 2011, 01:19 PM
My vet doesn't vaccinate my severly affected 9 year old SM dog. She feels that she's been through enough with her surgery, etc. Good decision with Scooby, the dog with 100 lives. He is amazing!

Sydneys Mom
17th August 2011, 02:25 PM
Happy Scooby has gotten some relief and is feeling a little better. I agree with everyone else about not vaccinating. Sydney was due for his this year and both vet and cardiologist said it wasn't necessary for him anymore. Good luck and keep us posted-

smarsden99
15th September 2011, 05:38 PM
Hi All,

Sorry not been online much had kids at home for summer holidays and then not been well so just getting back to normal.........

Scooby is still here (he is a miracle) , we have had a couple of times when he was coughing more so I had him to the vet and he said his chest was fine so we r just keeping him on the tablets hes on at the moment.

He has been my constant companion and now the kids are back at school its just the two of us again which I love.....:p

We dont look too far ahead but we r loving our time together right now......

Love
Sharon and Scooby

XX

Sydneys Mom
15th September 2011, 06:10 PM
Hi Sharon,

Happy tears are streaming down my face. cl*p I held my breath when I saw this new post and just sooooo glad to hear that Scooby is still here. I have thought of you often and wondered how Scooby has been. With Sydney fighting the same battles, I have looked to Scooby for inspiration. Both our dogs have pulled off miracles and I pray they will continue to do so for a very long time.

I know how you feel about being alone in the house with just you and Scooby. I too am home all day with just Sydney and I love our time together. It is special.:lotsaluv:

Big hugs to you and Scooby.:hug:

Nicki
15th September 2011, 08:20 PM
That's just fantastic news, you are in our thoughts every day. He truly is a miracle.

Sorry to hear you have been poorly too - hope everything is ok now?

pippa
15th September 2011, 08:49 PM
I was half afraid to check the update....so pleased he is still with you and you are enjoying your time together:)

Sabby
16th September 2011, 08:27 AM
It so nice to hear good news on this forum.
Glad that Scooby is still with you he sounds a special little dog. Hope you are feeling better too.

murphy's mum
16th September 2011, 09:30 AM
I'm very glad to hear Scooby is still fighting :)

I'm off today and it's just me and the pups snoozing on the couch, the house is quiet except for little doggy snores, so I know what you mean about loving just being with Scooby. I think we all cherish these moments, and store them away for any bad days we have.

Nicki
20th September 2011, 04:08 PM
Thread continues here http://www.cavaliertalk.com/forums/showthread.php?39600-Scooby-in-at-the-vets