• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Question: transitions from one RAW dog food brand to another

GraciesMom

Looks like we may have to switch Gracie from one brand of raw dog food to another due to quality control issues at Nature's Variety. We are likely to switch to Primal dog food, which is very similar in overall content but clearly not the same. I assume we need to do this VERY slowly, just as we would for any change in dog food brand?

I didn't trasition when I began different brands of raw. One week they get Primal, one week Stella & Chewy's, etc. I didn't find a need to transition.

Just now checked their web site, to make sure I'm talking about the same product. (BTW, I noticed a voluntary recall, FWIW. http://www.primalpetfoods.com/company/recall)

I've used Primal but there is something in it that made Sophie scratch like mad, including their canine Quail formula which has no yams or potatoes of any sort. I was so disappointed, because it's so convenient in those ice cube size portions. Too many ingredients for me to figure it all out, too.

It might be best to make the transition over 3 to 5 days, in case of any allergens in the food.

Good point Waldor

Could have one tiny thing that does not agree with Gracie so will do a slower transition. I did see the cat food recall...sigh!!As an aside, the store that carries Primal also mentioned that they have a rabbit raw diet by Nature's Logic they recommend highly. It is totally USA rabbit and more affordable than Primal....but they do not make many meat options. So may use both brands to get a variety. Will use up the Nature's Variety and move on.

Polly has a super sensitive tummy but seems to transition between raw foods without a problem. We mainly use Bravo, but have also been using some Primal lately as well. She gets some ZiWiPeak sometimes too. She used to love it but doesn't seem as enthusiastic anymore. This week I have been giving her Deli Fresh Vital turkey formula for breakfast (not raw but gently cooked and fresh, she seems to really like it) and it's agreeing fine with her. We used to be on Nature's Variety but Bravo seems to work better for her. NV is the best selling raw food we carry at work though, we've never heard any complaints about it. We recently brought in another line by Vital Essentials, it's been selling really well too.

Thanks Erin....

I think the issue with NV rabbit is due to them getting it from China and it is coming over from there partially ground. They have been growing very fast as a company and may partly to blame as well. Trying hard to meet demand I guess. Thanks for the info on Primal... am hoping that Gracie can eat it well too as they have lots of interesting meats to try!

I've always changed my dogs' food quite a bit since they were puppies-- RAW and dry-- and I have never had an issue with upset stomachs from it. I've never
transitioned slowly. I think it's because I have done so since they were pups. I think the variety is good for them as long as they don't have sensitive tummies tobegin with.

Back