• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Ruby desperately needs some prayers right now

Karen and Ruby

For those of you whom are one of my facebook friend you may know that Ruby has been very poorly ove the last few days with Sickness and Diahorea.

To spare the long story she has been vomitting un digested food around 8-12 hours after eating it and had very red diarohea.
She went in to the vets 1st thing Monday morning- (this started on Sunday Morning) and they said probably just a virus and sent us home after having a good prod around her abdomen.

So Tuesday morning she finally indicated she was hungry so I boiled up a small amount of Chicken which she ate with gusto. Last night was a quite night and she had boiled chicken and rice for dinner and I thought we were over the worst.

But then this morning she vomitted up last nights un digested food after 12 hours! But she was hungry afterwards!

So straight back to the vets who are keeping her in to do all kinds of tests and Xrays...........

I miss her so much already and Charlie is inconsolable and lost with out her!

I've been following on facebook and wish her all the best for a full recovery.
You've no choice other than to take her back and have this fully investigated.
Thinking of you both and hoping you have some positive news very soon.
Sins

I've been following on facebook and wish her all the best for a full recovery.
You've no choice other than to take her back and have this fully investigated.
Thinking of you both and hoping you have some positive news very soon.
Sins

I'm just glad the vets are finally talking it seriously- he was very concerned that it has been going on for 4 days!

I will have some news this afternoon!

It's heartbreaking and scary to watch your little one suffer and not know why. I hope they find some answers for you. Are they doing a colonoscopy, x-rays , sonogram?

I will be praying for a quick and speedy recovery. Hugs to sweet Ruby.

So sorry to hear this. Poor little Ruby.

I hope they find out what is wrong and she is soon home with you.

He said they would start by putting her on an IV and getting some meds in to her straight away.
then run a full blood screen he said amoungst other things that I cant quite remember he wanted to check red Blood Cells, White Blood Cells, Liver Enzymes, Electrolytes, organ function, check for Pancreitus and some other things as well and then if that didnt throw anything up then they would Xray and go from there!

But she wont be allowed home until she is eating and toiletting normally so who knows how long ill be with out her.

Im dropping her meds off later and am going to take in her soft buster collar just incase as she is terrified of the plastic ones.
Oh and her blankets of course!

Oh poor Ruby, and poor you and Charlie too. You both must just be moping around the house without her. Hope you have some good news soon.

I hope Ruby will be better soon. It is such a worry when they are sick and no-one seems to know why. Please keep us posted...... thinking of you and Ruby. xxx

Poor Ruby, I will be keeping my fingers crossed for her. Hugs to you and Charlie. :hug:

Hi Karen,
How frightening for you. Ive got everything crossed you'll have good news today. Sending hugs to you, Ruby and of course Charlie :hug:

Karen, so sorry to hear this. Sending love and good wishes your way. Please keep us posted on Ruby's condition.

So sorry -- was thinking pancreatitis perhaps. Nicki is good on digestive issues, if she sees this.

Hi Karen,
Sorry that Ruby is having digestive issues, I am experiencing the misery of diarrhea and blood with Jasper for the last 12-13 days, he is currently on his third course of treatment which seems to be working, he is on Nisamox tablets and Flagyl suspension, they are thinking it is a bacterial imbalance in his gut, they have sent his stools off for testing, if that is any help to you.

I really hope that they sort out Ruby's problem as soon as possible, thinking of you and gentle hugs to Ruby :hug:

Karen.....I am sooooooo sorry

I am sending prayers right now for little Ruby.....want them to get to the bottom of this so she can feel better

So sorry to hear this Karen it just sounds awful - it's horrid to see them ill like this and feel so helpless :(

The vet is testing for al the right things - I'm afraid Pancreatitis would be top of my list, usually they are in quite a bit of pain with that too but it's hard when they are already dealing with a very painful condition to discriminate. The fact that the food is undigested indicates pancreas involvement as that's where the digestive enzymes come from. Cavaliers are very prone to Pancreatitis anyway.

With the Small Intestinal Bacterial Overgrowth we didn't get vomiting so much, it was mainly diarrhoea.

If it's coming out both ends it's unlikely to be a blockage.

The IV will rehydrate her which will make her feel better.

You will be in our thoughts, do hope that Ruby is soon feeling much much better, your vets are being very thorough which is what you need and although you don't want to be away from her, it's best she is there so that they can monitor her very closely and treat her appropriately.

The blood chemistry screen with CBC is definitely the first step to rule out obvious things - however it may not definitively rule pancreatitis in or out if they just look at lipase and amylase since those values can be in normal range even in the presence of pancreatitis.

Not sure if they have this test in the UK, but in the US there is now a much more sensitive test for pancreatitis called the Spec cPL. This was developed by a GI vet guru at Texas A&M a couple of years ago.

http://www.idexx.com/view/xhtml/en_...tories/testmenu/innovative-tests/spec-cpl.jsf

The other way to more definitely rule pancreatitis in or out is by doing an abdominal ultrasound. A normal pancreas cannot be visualized on ultrasound (it is totally "dark") but a pancreas with pancreatitis will appear to "light up."

After a forum member's recent experience, I've made a mental note to myself to have an ultrasound done pretty quickly with any kind of GI upset that lasts more than a day or two so I've probably become more of an alarmist than I was prior to hearing of that experience.

On the subject of testing, here are links that discuss EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency) as there is yet another test specifically to diagnose this disease. (I don't think that this is Ruby's problem but just wanted to cover more about various available tests.) Beanie's (11 year old Cavalier that vets suspected had liver disease) mom posted on another forum that Beanie was finally diagnosed with EPI and not liver disease - which shows that some of these diseases can have atypical presentations since Beanie did not have "classic" symptoms. So these specialty tests can be our best friends even though it's sometimes difficult to get GP vets to run these tests depending on where you are located.

http://www.epi4dogs.com/
http://www.ellsbury.com/cheetahfaqs.htm

Karen, please keep us posted - we are all thinking of you and Ruby.

Pat

Back