• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Allergy treatment with prednisone...not so sure

GraciesMom

Gracie has been diagnosed with ear infection and allergies....likely related. While she is getting medication drops for her ears, vet also prescribed a 12-day treatment of an antihistamine with prednisone. The pill is called Temaril-P and she is to get one tablet two times a day for 5 days and tapering to one a day for 7 days. I am just always concerned about prednisone since I personally do poorly on it and others have too. What experience have others had??

Now did they actually detect infections in both ears, or are they just treating for infection as a precaution? Sorry I have no advice about the meds :(

Okay, so yeasty ears, but why the Pred? What kind of allergies? I'm not a Pred fan, but you're not talking about long term use. JMO

What the vet said about the allergy med

Okay, so yeasty ears, but why the Pred? What kind of allergies? I'm not a Pred fan, but you're not talking about long term use. JMO
The prednisone supposedly is to reduce inflammation caused by allergies, including ears, eyes and sinuses. I also am not a fan of prednisone either unless absolutely critical....which is one reason I would love to hear from others who have used it. Very wary and now wary if the ear drops too!

Sophie was on Temaril-P for several months, the first year we had her. It was the only thing that helped her allergies. Once I figured out her food allergies, we haven't had to use it again.

Our Shih Tzu was on it during the warm months only, the last few years of his life. The vet and I figured it was grass allergy because the allergies weren't there when grasses were dormant. By November, he didn't need it.

The only side effects I ever noticed in both dogs was hair loss, and it was only a little more than normal.
But I agree,,,, I didn't like using it on either dog. However, relief is relief. Antihistamines did not work.

I heard this morning that grass pollen is higher than normal this year. That may be Gracie's problem. I know my own allergies are worse than usual, this summer. Sophie has one ear that has been looking more pink than normal and I've been watching it, and cleaning it more often. So far, so good. It might be our grass around here . . .

Did you research the Mometamax? I remember looking it up after I'd already been using it and wasn't thrilled with what I read.I haven't used the Pred, so I don't know how the dose rates. But, I know there are those who thinks high dose, long term use can cause diabetes (I'm an admin on a canine diabetes board).

Just wanted to mention in case it is a food allergy.... Flash has mild food allergies. I switched him to a corn free, wheat free, soy free food and they went away. It didn't help his CM scratching but it stopped his really watery eyes with the red discharge. Even just a tiny bite of a treat with any of the above ingredients starts his eyes watering.

Hope your vet is right and things clear up!

Riley's been on prednisone for 3 years with minimal side effects - some dry skin and some hair loss. Gracie will only be on it short term so I don't think you'll even notice anything. Maybe more drinking and more peeing - although Riley doesn't experience this. Good luck. I hope that the meds clear up her problem and she starts to feel better.

This does not seem to be food allergy

Due to past digestive issues, Gracie is now on a raw diet with no grains at all. It has very few things in it that would cause allergies. And her poop is now great. I think this is seasonal because it seems to flare up when we have alot of moisture, either rain in the winter or humidity in the summer. She also sneezes outside, but not inside. so I think we have some idea of the issues. Fungus is a common allergen. The oddest thing is that there is something in areas of the grass that makes her sneeze like crazy but she wants to roll around in it!!! :grnyuk:

The oddest thing is that there is something in areas of the grass that makes her sneeze like crazy but she wants to roll around in it!!!

Interesting. It is often said that we humans love to eat the foods to which we are allergic. It's true in my case. Maybe with dogs, too, but in rolling around?:cool:

Back