• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

General Allergy Questions

LovesJellyBeans

Just curious how would you define a dog as having allergies?

My pup has (and for the most part has always had) an extremely pink nose, and underside of his jaw. He scratches a lot. I would hesitate to jump to the 'SM' conclusion (and the reason his face being pink because he scratches so much), because it seems as if Benadryl reduces the itch, although not completely. He never seems to do the air scratching, or yelp, or have sensitivity to the head/neck area. He just wants his nose and underside of his mouth scratched, a lot.

Very obvious pink face as a baby puppy (although probably common)
5.jpg

Still kind of pink, especially under his mouth as a 1 yr-old.
20110528110913-1.jpg

Also, if it is allergies, would you only expect it to be food allergies or other environmental factors? I have him on a diet without gluten or chicken products (none of his 'regular' treats contain these either, although on occasion he gets one from others). I did recently switch him to a different flavor of 'adult' food from his puppy food and he seems to be more itchy since, although a majority of the food components are the same between the foods. I guess maybe it could be another component of the food that I have not removed... or it could be something in the house or backyard that is getting to him.

When there is pink staining it could be little mites. I have always found Thornit Powder worth trying. You can buy it on eBay or Amazon.

Thornit is well known to breeders. It is sold for ear mites but a very little rubbed into the coat where there is staining often seems to deal with the problem.
Sometimes it can be the remedy for itchy pink feet if caused by harvest mite.

If nothing clears the itching then you would need to consider other causes.

Piper has the same thing and he has been diagnosed with allergies. He also had a couple of bacterial infections the vet said was related to allergies. Since putting him on Natural Balance Duck and Potato Limited ingredents he hasn't had any infections and he is not as red skinned.

Timely thread for us

Gracie was just diagnosed with allergies but hers are seasonal and seem related to fungus. High humidity, lots of rain and grass pollen are triggers. She will be fine until she sniffs around outside in the grass. She will then sometimes get itchy around muzzle and it gets a bit pink. Having to treat her now for the allergies. Hope you find out what is up and treat it.

Finally ordered some Thornit today

Had to use Ebay since not available in USA. Also ordered Zymox from Amazon to treat yeast infection in ears as it is much safer that the med drops prescribed by vet. Thanks Margaret C for reminding me to do it. Could not find a similar product here.

Ditto for Rose. Pink around the nose/mouth (just skin, not fur staining), itchy nose, occasionally itchy ears, no sm signs, etc. etc.. Long story short, she has some deep inner ear redness too, no mites, yeast, etc.. Rose's is spring allergies (sneezes/itches when she comes in from outside, but not after a very recent rain) and what appears to be a wheat allergy (started giving her wheat bites for her anal glands, and it turns out that the food and treats I was giving her before the wheat bites are almost all wheat free except for one liver treat). We are in the process of getting her off the wheat and cleared from her system (our vet said it could take up to 2 weeks to clear her system- she also has a dog with a wheat allergy) and she is on an antihistamine. She also has some ear drops to use as needed when her ears itch. I hope his nose is less itchy soon!

Back