• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Dr. Dodds' Advice

Holly

Some of you may know of Dr. Jean Dodds who is in the US. She is an expert on vaccinations, amongst other things, and does wonderful seminars all over the country. I haven't been but would like to someday.

Anyway, I consulted with her bc Scarlett will be on SM meds for the rest of her life and I wanted to know if I should give supplements to help her liver function. Dr. Dodds told me that if and when she has an abnormal liver result in her bloodwork, to supplement with SamE and Milk Thistle. Many vets sell this combined in a medication called Denmarin. We are not at that point, as her bloodwork has always been perfect, so will do nothing for now.

She also said to be sure to keep her on a grain-free diet. I thought this was good info for people whose pets are on a lot of meds.

That's good information. I would love to go to a seminar also. I did routine bloodwork and asked specifically about liver (as I do for myself). Is scarlett on prednisone?

I may take sam e for myself. I take a lot of medication so I'm always worried about my liver. My doctor makes me get bloodwork for liver also

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

This is really helpful nutrition and med info

Thank you for sharing what she advised for long-term meds for SM.

Dr. Dodds is absolutely amazing!! She and Dr. Schultz did a seminar out here last year and it was great...super informative. I've consulted with her a couple of times....vaccinations for Micah and liver issues for Jake. She recommended the Denamarin for Jake. He takes it every day and will for the rest of his life for liver support. We've never figured out why his ALT was elevated but since starting the Denamarin they've stabilized.

I've heard wonderful things about her, and have known someone who also consulted with her. I was aware of her SamE and Milk Thistle recommendations for liver issues, but was curious on her thoughts on using grain free food. I currently have Claire on grain free food, But wondered why Dr. Dodds recommends it?

I've heard wonderful things about her, and have known someone who also consulted with her. I was aware of her SamE and Milk Thistle recommendations for liver issues, but was curious on her thoughts on using grain free food. I currently have Claire on grain free food, But wondered why Dr. Dodds recommends it?

I'm not sure... I usually feed it anyway, so I didn't think to question that.

Grains would not make up very much of the diet of a wild dog - although they do eat the stomach containing the partially digested grains of their prey animals.

It is harder for a dog to digest carbohydrate but it is a cheap form of protein which is why it is included in most kibble :)

A raw, grain free diet would be described as "species appropriate" - it gives the best access to nutrients keeping the dog in the best possible health.

Back