• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Scratching

mlhirsch

We just recently acquired a new 2 year old bleniem girl. We have had her about 6 weeks. When we got her from the breeder she was a bit orange/reddish on her feet and arm pits. This has since disappeared. She did scratch at bit. I have noticed that she is scratching both sides of the top of her head, now they are red and her fur is thinning. Plus the underside of her jaw and just on her temples. She also scratches both sides of her neck. She allows me to pet her in all areas and doesn't pull away, like it feels good. I am not sure if this is an allergy or signs of SM. She isn't just scratching one side. Just wondering if anyone had some ideas. She is on Origen grasslands food - so a very high grade food. Any help would be appreciated!!

This is very hard to know...

You should have a regular vet check for skin conditions or mites, etc. first. There still could be a food allergy or intolerance or something she is getting on or near her head area that irritates her. Gracie is very irritated by some floor cleaners my friends use. But SM is possibility too...or combination.

I had my Rosie on Acana, made by Orijen, and she scratched like crazy on it (she had never scratched before like that)... I switched her to Natural Balance and her scratching went away completely. Try a different food and observe her would be my advice!

Our dog scratches on any type or brand of kibble, so it's either the rice or potatoes, or who-knows-what.

It would be a good idea to have her checked by the vet, to be sure it is an allergy condition, then try different foods.

Back