• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Tick Season Has BEGUN!

BrooklynMom

Oye, living on the Northern Beaches in Sydney...we get ticks, lots of them (not to mention, I am American from way up in the mountains where ticks and fleas did not exist...so I am so freaked by them!) and because we have had such warm weather starting already this winter (76 degrees F today...in winter!), the ticks have started to come out early and the vet said to start tick prevention early this year. I found one on Brooklyns leg yesterday, and one on my newspaper this morning! Ewwww. But, I can handle them, the only thing that makes me so nervous is that we have paralysis ticks here...and lots of them. The Northern Beaches where I live has thousands of affected dogs a year (get them into the vet early though and they will be okay).

So...here is my question. I use Advantix every two weeks, but should I use a tick collar too? Or a tick collar instead of the advantix and use advantage for the flea control? Not sure if anyone has any experience with this or not. My vet is calling me back so I will ask her too, but thought I would throw it out there in case anyone had any thoughts. I have to keep the tick I found on her for 72 hours too (in case she shows any signs of it being a paralyisis tick, they like you to bring it with you), and I hate the little thing! It is just laying there looking at me....ewwwwwww!

Just want to get the Brooksters the best protected that I can so any thoughts would be great. We are not even in bushland either, she got her tick from a tiny little piece of grass that she goes pee in right in front of our house on the road. Where there is one...there are, well, I hate to even think about it :yuk:

Oye, living on the Northern Beaches in Sydney...we get ticks, lots of them (not to mention, I am American from way up in the mountains where ticks and fleas did not exist...so I am so freaked by them!) and because we have had such warm weather starting already this winter (76 degrees F today...in winter!), the ticks have started to come out early and the vet said to start tick prevention early this year. I found one on Brooklyns leg yesterday, and one on my newspaper this morning! Ewwww. But, I can handle them, the only thing that makes me so nervous is that we have paralysis ticks here...and lots of them. The Northern Beaches where I live has thousands of affected dogs a year (get them into the vet early though and they will be okay).

So...here is my question. I use Advantix every two weeks, but should I use a tick collar too? Or a tick collar instead of the advantix and use advantage for the flea control? Not sure if anyone has any experience with this or not. My vet is calling me back so I will ask her too, but thought I would throw it out there in case anyone had any thoughts. I have to keep the tick I found on her for 72 hours too (in case she shows any signs of it being a paralyisis tick, they like you to bring it with you), and I hate the little thing! It is just laying there looking at me....ewwwwwww!

Just want to get the Brooksters the best protected that I can so any thoughts would be great. We are not even in bushland either, she got her tick from a tiny little piece of grass that she goes pee in right in front of our house on the road. Where there is one...there are, well, I hate to even think about it :yuk:

I am not using any chemical flea and tick contol since Blondie has adverse reactions but i use natural control for fleas which seems to work. Totalltly forgot the name ( dionisius earth? Somethig like that). As for ticks; i heard neem sticks work buthavent found them in the us!

It's called Diatomaceous Earth but be sure that you get the food grade. DE is the remains of diatoms and it works bc the remains are very sharp and cuts the insects' bodies and kills them (fleas, ticks, etc...) I've heard of people havng great success with it. You might look into it since you are having to use the chemical tick control so often. Here is some info:

http://wolfcreekranch1.tripod.com/defaq.html

You live in an apt right? There are natural ways to prevent ticks in lawn areas. You'd have to do some research, but it might be worth it. I just hate all the chemicals but do know that tick that causes paralysis is a bugger. Knew of someone on another board who lives in the southeast part of the States and had her dog end up with it twice.Thankfully you were able to get it off Brooklyn so easy.

Back