• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

How do you post a new thread?

Sir Cooper

Hi Everyone!

I just joined and cannot figure out how to post a new thread. I looked under the FAQ and it was no help.

On a new note, I have a 13 week old male cavie and having an extremely difficult time getting him to potty and poopy outside. I'll spend 20+ min with him outside and he won't do a thing, then as soon as we get inside he does his business. When he does go outside I praise him and give him treats and make a big deal of it. At this point I'm cleaning up after him 10 or more times a day (thank goodness I have all hardwood floors!) I'm starting to go a lil bonkers here trying to figure out what will work with him. Any suggestions on both topics would be very much appreciated :p

Firstly the good news is that you managed to post :) The first few posts made by new members are moderated, so that is why it may take a while to appear.

At the top left there are the words "forum tools" either hover the cursor over or click on the down arrow and a drop down list appears, including "post a new thread" click on that to post in any section.

There is a thread on housetraining here http://www.cavaliertalk.com/forums/...training-crate-training-puppies-or-adult-dogs which will be helpful and if you search for old threads you will find MANY on this subject. I'm sure others will also comment here for you.

Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your new puppy.

Congrats on your new puppycl*p and welcome to the group:)
As for potty training, we have a dog door. Its been a god send for our Toby. He is 15 weeks old. He hasn't had an accident in the house in many weeks. We do supervise while he is outside but he will use the dog door when he needs to go out. Its another option to add to the many you can choose.
Becky

Thanks for the responses! I kind of gave up on this site because I couldn't figure it out and just logged in for the first time in weeks. We're still working on the potty training. I purchased a bell for the front door to use as training but not having much luck with it. Cooper knows to ring the bell when he has his leash on but he won't ring it on his own to let me know he needs to go outside. We're also working on what I like to call "Cooper Rage". He gets incredibly hyper and growls/grunts as he attacks everyone's legs. It's been 11 years since I've had a puppy so I'm sure it's normal behavior :)

I also have a 13 week old male pup (Bailey). I can relate to the "rage" you mentioned (growling, biting at legs). I have been trying to figure out if this is normal puppyhood behavior or it if is aggressive behavior. I would love if others would chime in on this.

I plan to try a bell at the door too.

To also comment on posting your first thread, I tried a few weeks ago and have not seen mine show up. Guess it just takes a while. There is tons of great info on this site and I am here a lot. As soson as I see my first post show up I will post more. :)

Hi, welcome to the site! My puppy, Sonny, is 11 weeks old and when we first brought him home (two weeks ago) I was anticipating that potty training would take forever, however he caught on pretty quickly. The first couple of days were exhausting, but I think our consistency and patience paid off. The first night we sat outside with him for 45 minutes until he FINALLY went potty outside, as soon as he went we praised and praised and praised him. The next morning I did the same thing and I think after that he caught on. I was so tired those first two days because I felt like I was constantly waiting for him, but I just wanted to make sure that I had the opportunity to praise him outside. Now, I don't give him much time outside. He gets 5 minutes and if he doesn't go, we go back inside.

Also about the rage at night that you described. My puppy also gets very hyper at around 7:30 or 8:00 at night. He often runs around like a crazy person and growls and jumps around. I often describe him as a little tasmanian devil. I think it is just normal puppy behavior from what others have told me. :) They have lots of energy and want to play and play.

Hope that helps!!!!

Hi CavAddict -- as Nicki notes, initial posts are moderated just to screen and delete spam accounts but it would be rare for a post not to be okayed within a few hours or at most a couple of days if I am away and other mods do not spot it.

The only other post you have made was one on Aug 25th and that was approved -- did you try to make some other post?

http://www.cavaliertalk.com/forums/showthread.php?24640-Vet-in-Charlotte-NC&p=400876#post400876

It could be that for some reason the post did not go through -- eg due to your browser hanging or dropping a net connection, etc.

On puppies (or dogs) going mad in the evening -- this is actually the natural timetable of dogs -- and cats. They are classed as 'crepuscular' which means they will be most active first thing in the morning (if people are early risers) and in the early evening.

See

http://www.wisegeek.com/what-do-the-terms-crepuscular-diurnal-and-nocturnal-mean.htm

and note they add:

Humans also have a tendency to encourage diurnal behavior among the animals they interact with; dogs, for example, are naturally crepuscular, but they learn to become diurnal through human interactions.

Hence puppies often wake first thing in the morning and want action and will remain quite active in evenings as people have observed, They tend to moderate the morning behaviour because many of us do not get up early enough to indulge it and they adapt to our morning schedules.

Hi CavAddict -- as Nicki notes, initial posts are moderated just to screen and delete spam accounts but it would be rare for a post not to be okayed within a few hours or at most a couple of days if I am away and other mods do not spot it.

The only other post you have made was one on Aug 25th and that was approved -- did you try to make some other post?

http://www.cavaliertalk.com/forums/showthread.php?24640-Vet-in-Charlotte-NC&p=400876#post400876

It could be that for some reason the post did not go through -- eg due to your browser hanging or dropping a net connection, etc.

On puppies (or dogs) going mad in the evening -- this is actually the natural timetable of dogs -- and cats. They are classed as 'crepuscular' which means they will be most active first thing in the morning (if people are early risers) and in the early evening.

See

http://www.wisegeek.com/what-do-the-terms-crepuscular-diurnal-and-nocturnal-mean.htm

and note they add:

Hence puppies often wake first thing in the morning and want action and will remain quite active in evenings as people have observed, They tend to moderate the morning behaviour because many of us do not get up early enough to indulge it and they adapt to our morning schedules.

Thank you for directing me back to my original post, it was great to see the repy! Thank you!

Thank you also for the great link!

posting new thread

I can't seem to post a new thread either. I don't have "forum tools" at the top of my page. Posted a blog but can't post a new thread here. Any suggestions?

Hello! Our Chloe (10 months old Blenheim) does that silly running around too in the early evening around 7 pm, but only on some days when she has not been out for a proper walk for a couple of days straight - last time was about a few weeks ago when it was raining for days on. I suppose she had to release her energy so she goes running at breakneck speed around the dining table, to the kitchen, back to the living area onto the sofa, for at least 5 laps or so! It was so funny when she does that, though that makes us feel guilty for not spending enough time with her. Just take her out for walks, and she'll be as happy as Larry. Have fun!

Back