PDA

View Full Version : Update on surgery tomorrow and University of Florida facility

GraciesMom
8th August 2011, 08:27 PM
I appreciate your prayers and good wishes more than I can express. It gives me strength when that is sometimes hard to come by. Gracie is scheduled for surgery tomorrow between 10 am and noon EST. She gets to stay with us till 8 am. So gonna spoil her as much as we can till then. I am soooooooo impressed with the Small Animal Hospital here. Very well run and they even have a retired person greet you at the door. Everything runs like clockwork.... And with a smile. Dr. Schubert is terrific...he spent a full hour with us. Is very open and not rushed in answering all questions. RodRussell may want to know that he uses same procedure as Dr. Marino in Long Island...titantium mesh covered with some fat tissue from Gracie herself. We will keep you posted tomorrow as we can. Dr. Schubert did say that he has not seen a Cavalier with such a large syrinx at her young age. so, I do know this is her only hope. It is the only decision that could be made other than just letting her go very soon.

Brian M
8th August 2011, 09:11 PM
Hi Debra

So glad everything looks good for you and Gracie and adds to your strength ,everything will be fine
for you both tomorrow as it seems between you and Dr Schubert she is in the best possible care .

All our Best Wishes For Tomorrow

Brian ,Dawn and Luke and
Poppy,Daisy,Rosie and Lily

Will be clock watching tomorrow and thinking of you both and looking out for your first post .

Love my Cavaliers
8th August 2011, 09:41 PM
I'm happy she gets to cuddle with you all night tonight. Maybe you'll get to sleep a bit better (unless she's a snorer :lol:)! Thinking about you tomorrow. When Riley had her surgery, that was the day I discovered CavalierTalk so I spent the whole day reading posts - anything to occupy my mind until until I got the phone call to tell me she was o.k. What an eye opener it was to discover this whole new world of cavalier lovers. That was three years ago and CavalierTalk has kept me sane on many occasions. I hope everything goes well tomorrow.

Sydneys Mom
8th August 2011, 09:51 PM
As always, I will be thinking of you. You are so strong and it's that strength that will get you and Gracie through this. Enjoy playing and spoiling Gracie tonight. Give her extra kisses and tell her they're from me and Sydney! :l*v:

GraciesMom
8th August 2011, 10:24 PM
I have things I can do on my iPad to keep my mind busy...
Just still in shock that he said biggest syrinx he has seen for dog so young. He sees dozens every year with some degree of this.

lovecavaliers
8th August 2011, 10:32 PM
Glad you are having such a good experience with the hospital and doctor, it makes going through such a traumatic event a little bit easier. I will be thinking of you and Gracie tomorrow.

Karlin
8th August 2011, 10:39 PM
The very best of luck to you both. I know how difficult this must be, and how anxious a time it is, but cavaliers tend to do very well during this surgery, and you may well be surprised at how active she is very soon after. The greatest difficulty most people have is in trying to keep their dog quiet and inactive. :) So many of us will be thinking of you and Gracie all day long tomorrow and there will be many prayers and thoughts of support coming at you from around the world.

GraciesMom
8th August 2011, 10:53 PM
We may have to put glue on Gracie's paws when it is her regular time to go out at night to chase creatures....last call for potty too.

anniemac
8th August 2011, 10:56 PM
Angel ella will be looking over gracie tomorrow. She seems to be in good hands. I know it will be a stressful day but so many people here have you in their prayers. keep us posted and try to keep your mind off things for tonight. Mojitos :)

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

BrooklynMom
8th August 2011, 11:31 PM
Oh Debra, I am sure your mind is rushing right now. I am however so happy that you are in such a great sounding clinic with a wonderful doctor. That makes such a difference...for human and dog alike. You are being so brave about all of this, stay strong and find faith in knowing that you are doing the right thing by Gracie and you are doing everything you possibly can. She is so lucky to have you looking after her well being and loving her as much as you do.

Stay strong tomorrow. I will be thinking of you and praying for Gracie. I think about Gracie every day in fact since this whole thing started and I will continue to do so, sending little angles to watch over her during her operation. 10 am EST there is about 12 midnight in Sydney, so I will say a little prayer before I go to bed and hold that all night long.

Hugs to you both.

gamefanz
9th August 2011, 12:01 AM
You and Gracie will be in my thoughts tomorrow. Sending lots of positive thoughts to you:hug::xfngr:

Becky

GraciesMom
9th August 2011, 01:13 AM
We are having some Bicardi Mojito Coolers right now in hotel room... Best takeout option at this point!

Angel ella will be looking over gracie tomorrow. She seems to be in good hands. I know it will be a stressful day but so many people here have you in their prayers. keep us posted and try to keep your mind off things for tonight. Mojitos :)

Sydneys Mom
9th August 2011, 01:26 AM
GraciesMom
This gave me a chuckle...
We are having some Bicardi Mojito Coolers right now in hotel room... Best takeout option at this point!

Wait a minute, is Gracie old enough to drink? :sl*p:

GraciesMom
9th August 2011, 01:42 AM
Wait a minute, is Gracie old enough to drink? :sl*p:

Gracie asked for mojitos instead of anesthesia!

mommytoClaire
9th August 2011, 02:36 AM
Joyce, thanks for the laugh, because I have been sitting here feeling stress for Debra and her hubby and sweet little Gracie who knows none of this, thankfully.

It reminds me of a time a couple years ago with a family member in the hospital and I will tell you that friends and prayers, and even a bit of 'spirits' will get you through the tough times.

You are a strong strong woman Debra, and I have no doubt you made the right decision for Gracie, especially in light of the comment from the Doctor. But that said, I have no doubt that this surgery will be very successful, and Gracie will be back to her wonderful, sweet self in no time at all.

I will be praying for little Ms Gracie all day tomorrow. And as someone else said, that there would be angels watching over her. Love and hugs from Claire and I.

Blondiemonster
9th August 2011, 02:40 AM
It's almost over... almost over.... By tomorrow night the worst will be in the past.
Thinking of both of you darlings! Gracie is a trooper!!!!!!!

GraciesMom
9th August 2011, 03:03 AM
And thinking that many of my dearest friends on this forum...who are the biggest hearted people you could find anywhere...have made me feel so very cherished in the past few days. I can't imagine befriending dearer people anywhere. We may be separated by many miles but yet our lives have connected here. Bless you all. For those living in the UK, I am praying for peace and hope you are all safe.

Sabby
9th August 2011, 10:32 AM
Thinking of you and Gracie.

Sandrac
9th August 2011, 10:42 AM
Gracie is in our thoughts. Hoping everything goes Ok with her surgery and she will soon be back in your loving care for her recuperation.:hug:

Nicki
9th August 2011, 11:07 AM
Sitting here at 11am reading this thinking that the sun isn't over the yard arm yet so a bit early in the day for me to be at the alcohol ;)

But just to tell you we are thinking of you all, it sounds like Gracie is in fantastic hands and you really are giving her the best possible chance.

meljoy
9th August 2011, 11:23 AM
Dear Debra and Gracie,

Thinking of you today. We are sending love and positive thoughts across the world to you. Keep strong and give Gracie a gentle kiss from us when you can.:hug:

Kathleen
9th August 2011, 12:28 PM
Can't stop thinking about you and Gracie....... hope all is going well.

mommytoClaire
9th August 2011, 01:27 PM
Today, is the day that Gracie will be given a new lease on life. With all the prayers being lifted up on her behalf, I know she will be well.

Keep yourself occupied, and let us know how today is going.

How long will she be kept at the hospital? Hugs to you three!

BrooklynMom
9th August 2011, 01:40 PM
I am off to sleep now, but will say a big prayer before I go to bed and when I wake, I look forward to updates. There are so many people praying for you little Gracie, you will do wonderfully and we all are cheering for you!!!! And Debra, I hope you at least got a few hours sleep in, I cannot imagine how you must be feeling right now, but we are all here for every moment you need us through this! Hang in there, I'm thinking of you and will check back in the morning. Hugs.

GraciesMom
9th August 2011, 03:28 PM
We had a good night's sleep. Gracie curled up next to me all night. Her poop is getting better. Sent hubby off to run errands. He gets too antsy and drives me nuts. Am here with iPad and other folks in the lobby. More later.

GraciesMom
9th August 2011, 04:27 PM
Should be another 2 hours ...

Sydneys Mom
9th August 2011, 04:34 PM
Sending you a big hug. Are you ready......here it comes......:hug::hug:

Sydney is sending Gracie something to cheer her up when she wakes up. He's on his way! :dogwlk:

Love and prayers still comming.

GraciesMom
9th August 2011, 05:36 PM
Sending you a big hug. Are you ready......here it comes......:hug::hug:

Sydney is sending Gracie something to cheer her up when she wakes up. He's on his way! :dogwlk:

Love and prayers still comming.

All the way across the the USA!

jld
9th August 2011, 05:39 PM
Saying a prayer.

mommytoClaire
9th August 2011, 06:06 PM
Debra just wondering If they gave you any kind of an update? They should be finishing up. I've been praying all morning and told z dog loving girlfriend to pray too. Soooo many people loving on you and Gracie, well and of course Hubby too. Sorry our CT male friends, but men just handle things diferently. I'm trying to imagine you dreaming up an errand in a city you don't live, just to occupy him. Me, I'd be sending mine to Starbucks with a complicated order, lol.

We didn't get our before picture! Glad you sleep well.

GraciesMom
9th August 2011, 06:14 PM
She will be sedated rest of today but they will call us every two hours or so with updates. Could take her out of here as early as tomorrow afternoon...or Thursday morning. More later

Zumie05
9th August 2011, 06:17 PM
Thank goodness she made it out ok!

Blondiemonster
9th August 2011, 06:23 PM
What a relieve!!!!!! Thanks goodness.... I am looking forward to hearing more.

gamefanz
9th August 2011, 06:28 PM
So very happy she has made it out of surgery! Sending more positive thoughts your way that she will be able to go home real soon:hug:
Becky

Sydneys Mom
9th August 2011, 06:31 PM
So glad she's out of surgery ....I couldn't hold my breath much longer.

Nicki
9th August 2011, 06:35 PM
That's great to hear she came through the op safely. I know it's tempting to take her as soon as possible, but personally I would let her stop for a few days, I know Clare Rusbridge says that 2 days after surgery can be the day where there is brain swelling so maybe she is best to stop in until then?

You can relax a bit now, have a nice soak in the bath and try to get some sleep.

I always fear that we don't think enough about hubbies on the forum, I guess because we all know each other and don't relate to them so much, but of course they are going through this too, all the stress and emotional upset - so hugs from the clan here to hubby too.

GraciesMom
9th August 2011, 06:41 PM
That they are thinking about release so soon. I may push a bit to keep her another day.

mommytoClaire
9th August 2011, 07:38 PM
Will they let you see her soon? I agree with Nicki, I would push for Thursday.....with you living so far away, and I am wondering how long you are staying in Florida? I just dont know how travel will be for her.

Another question, when is your follow up appt and how are you handling that?

gyoselyn
9th August 2011, 07:45 PM
I'm so glad that the surgery went well!! I've been thinking of you and Gracie, looking forward to hearing more updates.

Love my Cavaliers
9th August 2011, 10:33 PM
I would not have wanted to take Riley home the day after her surgery. I visited her and she was so out of it that even though she was happy to see me, she was just as happy to go back to lie down in her crate. Now Riley does have a history of reacting badly to anesthesia and it does take her much longer to come out of it than other dogs. That being said, I was just as happy to have them monitor her for the first few days rather than me. I think I took her home on the third day after surgery.

If you remember, ask about the fentanyl patch for pain relief. I think I mentioned before that it worked miracles for Riley. It was just a little square patch that was attached to her skin that continuously infused the medication for the next 72 hours. I also had Tramadol if she needed anything more. But the fentanyl held her really well.

I'm so glad that at least stressor #1 (the surgery) is over and Gracie came through it just fine. Stressor #2 (recovery) will be long, but will feel longer on you than Gracie and then will be over before you know it. Take Nicki's advice now, take a deep breath, and relax. Congratulations - you made it through this day!

BrooklynMom
9th August 2011, 10:56 PM
Oh sigh of relief that at least the surgery part is over. I know there is such a long road in front of you, your husband and little Gracie still, but I am happy that she made it through surgery okay. I was so restless last night while sleeping. I told my husband about all of this when we were laying in bed about to drift off, about an hour before her surgery, and we both just laid there and sent every prayer, thought and hug for healing to Gracie that we could.

I'm with everyone else, keep her in there as long as possible. Nothing will be better pain management wise and observing wise that having her there, so the longer the better I think. If we think about a human having this surgery, they would keep them in there ages, and I know she will be fine either way, but I think best to push for as long as she can that is still realistic.

Well whew. I am just glad to hear these updates, keep them coming. Hugs to little Gracie, give her a cuddle from Brooky and I!!

Karlin
9th August 2011, 10:59 PM
So glad she is out! :wggle:

I guess my worry is that it seems terribly early to take home a dog that has had decompression, much less mesh surgery -- as Nicki notes, other neurologists have said to wait at least three days because they can get brain swelling/bleeding within that timeframe -- rare but it would be a serious emergency. I thought LIVS keep them a week or two post surgery as the mesh surgery is far more invasive than the regular decompression -- a whole serious of screws are sunk into the skull. There's no way I would take her before Thursday and even that seems extraordinarily fast but maybe the concerns about post op care have changed as the surgery has become more common. :confused: I know some here have had this surgery at LIVS -- maybe someone can come back about the time the dog is kept in.

RodRussell
9th August 2011, 11:19 PM
Great news to read. Thanks for keeping us updated throughout all of this.

lovecavaliers
10th August 2011, 12:09 AM
YEAY so happy to hear Gracie made it through the surgery!!!!

As for the hospital stay, in May of 2010, Dr. Marino of LIVS recommended this surgery for my Jack. One of my million questions was hospital stay and he told me that Jack would need to stay with them for minimum of 5 days. However, maybe things have changed since then, hopefully she gets to stay until Thursday, if not perhaps you can stay with Gracie in the area for a few days, just to be on the safe side.

Again so happy step 1 of this is over. I truly admire your bravery throughout this whole ordeal. Keep the updates coming but also relax and take some "me" time; you deserve it.

waldor
10th August 2011, 12:47 AM
I am so glad Gracie's surgery went well and that she's okay.

Desrae
10th August 2011, 01:09 AM
Yay! Great news!

GraciesMom
10th August 2011, 01:43 AM
Long list of excuses to use if needed.... We are crafty too! He he!!!

jld
10th August 2011, 02:19 AM
I don't blaim you. After all she has been through, I wouldn't want to take any chances.

Sydneys Mom
10th August 2011, 02:25 AM
GraciesMom
We are ready to fight to keep her there longerLong list of excuses to use if needed.... We are crafty too! He he!!!

Just tell them everyone on Cavalier Talk thinks she needs to stay in longer....That'll get them. :roll:

But, just want to say that I am so glad Gracie did well during the surgery. You have done an amazing job researching and taking care of her. As others have already said, phase one is over, take a deep breath and then start on phase two. As always, we are all here for you, Gracie, and your hubby, who I always fail to mention!

mommytoClaire
10th August 2011, 03:45 AM
Just wondering how the rest of the afternoon and evening went? Were you sblr to see Gracie. Truly, Thursday does seem very early.....but as someone else suggested, maybe staying in the area for a few days beyond that. When is follow up?

SuzRN
10th August 2011, 04:47 AM
Glad she is out and resting. Keeping her in our thoughts.

Kathleen
10th August 2011, 05:58 AM
Glad she made it through the surgery and she's okay.

Spangly
10th August 2011, 12:07 PM
So happy to hear that the surgery went well. Still sending you and your family lots of good wishes and hugs.

daffymum
10th August 2011, 12:41 PM
Hello
You must be glad the surgery and anticipation is now over.
I would advise to take her out only after 5 days, and if she is eating, walking and her demeanor is bright.
But bear in mind that complication can still manifest 14 days after surgery.

Speaking from experience.
Daffymum

mommytoClaire
10th August 2011, 01:16 PM
Debra, hoping for an update?

GraciesMom
10th August 2011, 01:54 PM
She took her out for a quick potty and still no poop yet. She also did not eat much...just a little. They think pain meds are a factor in this and cutting it back. She was a little perky...and did walk around the clinic more today. They are taking her off IV and she may now drink water. I told then that the water here tastes very different and bottled water may be better option. This is near ocean so kinda salty tasting. We are going over to see her at 3 pm and will feed her if not eating well yet.

Margaret C
10th August 2011, 02:25 PM
Give her a very gentle stroke from all of her Wellwishers here on the forum.

GraciesMom
10th August 2011, 03:14 PM
Was hard to sleep without her nearby.... But finally dozed off about 1 am.
We have talked to the resident and Dr Schubert. They think she is just too unhappy to eat. Seems nervous. So he thinks she will recover better with us nearby. So we have developed a new plan of action with him. If she is still stable at 3 pm but not eating and still overly anxious, we will check her out to hotel next door and stay here 2 days at least. The resident will come check on her 3 times a day. The hotel is right across street. Pricier but worth it. This is apparently what they usually do and found it helps recovery substantially. So... Guess we will try it.

Reptigirl
10th August 2011, 03:39 PM
:hug:I'm sure Gracie is just missing her mommy! I know for a fact Holly became very depressed while she was at the vet on an IV. They were concerned about her not really eating but I was sure it was because she was depressed. Once she came home she had an appetite like a horse! That is SO great that they will come to the hotel next door to check on her! I'm sure that will really lift her spirits to be near you!

anniemac
10th August 2011, 03:52 PM
I remember Ella would not eat the first weekend. We had a hard time getting her out of her kennel even with cheese to have her relieve herself. Then after a few days, I had a hard time (like others mentioned) getting her to keep restricted. She seemed to recovery quite fast but it was VERY important to keep activity restricted which was very difficult. I am sure Gracie will be back to her normal self, but I am glad she is staying at the hospital to get monitored. Better them than you :) but I know you want her with you. When you see her, it will be a shock because she will have a Zipperhead. Looks worse than it is and hair grows back fast.

Zumie05
10th August 2011, 04:11 PM
I really like the idea of the hotel across the street. You will get your own little in house nurse, and the hospital is RIGHT there in case of emergency, plus you get to be with your baby. Go Gracie!

Nicki
I'm sorry poor Gracie is unhappy, it sounds like they are prepared to work with you which is great.

Love my Cavaliers
Anne - I love your description "Zipperhead" - but it's true! I remember seeing Riley for the first time. They had even shaved part of her ears. I thought she looked like a half-shorn lamb. But it grows back quickly.

Debra, do you have a crate with you, or will they give you one to keep her in? It's really important that she not jump. Hopefully she'll eat for you and feel more comfortable being snuggled up with you. I hope you brought lots of reading material with you and the hotel has lots of movies and there's room service available! Give your baby lots of gentle kisses when you pick her up!!

GraciesMom
10th August 2011, 04:30 PM
Yes, we do have it and she either will be in our laps, beside us on bed or in the crate. More worried bout keeping her calm on potty walks. Will need both of us to make sure she does not get too excited. I appreciate the zipper analogy. Kinda expected that. So she already had poodle legs from. MRI and now will have shorn zipperhead. Guess I better keep her from seeing herself in the mirror! She may really peeved!

Sydneys Mom
10th August 2011, 04:47 PM
It's wonderful that Gracie is doing well cl*p and I'm sure once she's with you she'll start to feel alot better. Sounds like the hospital is top notch and really willing to work with the patients and families so that everyone is comfortable.

I appreciate the zipper analogy. Kinda expected that. So she already had poodle legs from. MRI and now will have shorn zipperhead. Guess I better keep her from seeing herself in the mirror! She may really peeved!

This made me laugh. When Sydney was in the ER he had 2 IVs, one in each front leg and as soon as I saw him afterward that's the first thing I said......poodle legs.

mommytoClaire
10th August 2011, 07:31 PM
I just got home and caught up on the 'Gracie Chronicles'. You know, it's really not much different than having a toddler/child in the hospital. I remember when my young niece was in a couple years ago for a bone marrow transplant.....my SIL never left. I spent every weekend, Thursday-Sunday, or Fri-Mon. to help. They said it's a fact that children do better in recovery when they have family with them.

So, it doesn't surprise me that the same is true with our beloved 'toddler' fur children. Gracie is very fortunate to have two people who love her so much, and are willing to do whatever it takes. Hope you can find her something fun to watch on the TV, you know, like Sponge Bob, just kidding (this was one of my nieces favorites while so sick).

Give Gracie a gentle hugs from Claire and I.

Brian M
10th August 2011, 09:01 PM
Hi

Debra everything is going fine, if I come and stay in your hotel can I have Gracie on my knee pls .This
is compulsive reading for many before we go to bed as soon as we get up and numerous times in the
day there must be loads hanging on every post as you two are so so important to so many of us .

Stay safe pls .

GraciesMom
10th August 2011, 10:26 PM
When we went to the hospital at 3 pm, they said that they were seeing signs of depression and felt that they could monitor her here if it would help her get better. We have VERY strict rules to follow and they are coming by 2 times to check on her today. So far, it is working so well. We were able to get her to eat a small patty of her raw food and take some cool water. Then she crashed....is snoring away! She is still somewhat sedated. She will not be fully discharged until late tomorrow or Friday. We will stay in the area until Friday regardless.

She did not get over-excited when we first saw her....she is likely peeved at us but hope it is the sedation. :-? But she just grunted her happy grunts when hubby came back in the room after running errand. What a beautiful sound...and yes, she is still beautiful, even with her zipperhead.

anniemac
10th August 2011, 10:40 PM
I think the zipperhead adds character. A zipperhead club :) I bet you are glad to have her with you. Sweet girl

Love my Cavaliers
10th August 2011, 10:45 PM
A zipperhead club! :rotfl: Thanks Anne. That made me laugh, but we're in it!

BrooklynMom
10th August 2011, 11:09 PM
Brian said it perfectly...we all follow this thread morning noon and night! I literally just opened my eyes (I am still in bed!) and jumped on here for a Grace update...she is such a brave soul and so are you and your husband.
That is wonderful about the hotel and that they will come over to do checkups, this sounds like a wonderful hospital you are at and I am sure just the presence of you has Gracie in such a better mind.

Thinking of you!!

Sabby
10th August 2011, 11:16 PM
Yes I am just off to bed but had to see what is going on with Gracie first. So glad she had something to eat. She must be a lot happier with you around all the time.

GraciesMom
10th August 2011, 11:36 PM
Best hotel proposition ever... But Gracie said you are a cheeky bloke!

Hi

Debra everything is going fine, if I come and stay in your hotel can I have Gracie on my knee pls .This
is compulsive reading for many before we go to bed as soon as we get up and numerous times in the
day there must be loads hanging on every post as you two are so so important to so many of us .

Stay safe pls .

lovecavaliers
11th August 2011, 02:09 AM
Just checking in and glad to here Gracie is doing well and with her family now.

mommytoClaire
11th August 2011, 03:22 AM
How did the visits from the Vet tech's go? Yes, we all are checking on Gracie numerous times a day. She'll do better with momma and daddy.

Brian, you crack me up!

Sydneys Mom
11th August 2011, 03:46 AM
several times a day. Gracie is one special lady...she's grabbed our hearts coast to coast and ocean to ocean.:lotsaluv:

GraciesMom
11th August 2011, 02:17 PM
Gracie had a very good night. Slept really well and eating well. Still hates her meds...but we were sneaky and had them compounded into liquid. She is achy and sometimes yelps when she turns her head a certain way, but her tail is wagging again and she especially enjoyed visiting with a little girl in hotel lobby. Going for a checkup now. Expect it to go well.

Sydneys Mom
11th August 2011, 02:20 PM
A wagging tail is always a good sign. Let us know how the check up goes.

BrooklynMom
11th August 2011, 02:23 PM
Wonderful news. I was just about to go to sleep and did a "Gracie check" first, and I'm happy to hear her tail is wagging. Bringing her back to be with you vs. The hospital and still having the docs available, seems like it was the best move. I've been thinking about Gracie every second.

And how are you doing? How did you sleep?

Give Gracie a nice soft pat from me, what a brave little girl with such a new chance at life. Hugs!

GraciesMom
11th August 2011, 02:55 PM
They were very pleased and all noted how much brighter her eyes were today. She has lost the dull or glazed look. I am doing much better too as is hubby. We each gave each other a break yesterday to go out for a bit. We both slept pretty well but I got up periodically to check on her...as required. I know that what the hospital is doing by allowing her to leave and be monitored at hotel is scary. But they have been piloting this for some time with dogs that are prone to separation issues with very good success. We will stay in the area until at least tomorrow.

meljoy
11th August 2011, 03:18 PM
Glad things are on the up. Bright eyes are a great signcl*p

Keep well and look after your self, gentle hugs to Gracie from Leo XX

Nicki
11th August 2011, 03:27 PM
SO pleased that Gracie is doing well, the hotel set up seems to work well :D It's great that you are both there and can give each other some time out too, you have to keep yourselves healthy and strong, sadly the recovery is a long process.

anniemac
11th August 2011, 04:22 PM
We are doing the happy dance :)

mishy
11th August 2011, 06:36 PM
So glad Gracie came through the surgery ok. She has lots of people around the world praying for her and we wait anxiously every day for an update. We are all here to support you and your family - stay strong.

GraciesMom
11th August 2011, 08:27 PM
Gracie has pooped! I kinda figured that being back on omeprazole might move things along. It has! May have to explore the other option because it was moving things along tooooo much before surgery.

Zumie05
11th August 2011, 08:52 PM
Phew just got through reading all your updates! Thanks so much for letting us know every little detail, we have all come to care so much for you and Gracie :) Hooray for the poops! lol...

ByFloSin
11th August 2011, 09:48 PM
Phew just got through reading all your updates! Thanks so much for letting us know every little detail, we have all come to care so much for you and Gracie :) Hooray for the poops! lol...

Pleased to hear that Gracie is doing so well.

Sandrac
11th August 2011, 10:12 PM
So pleased to hear that Gracie is doing well - may her recovery continue. Sending her lots of gentle :hug:

Nicki
11th August 2011, 10:22 PM
Clare Rusbridge recommends Zitac [Cimetidine] rather than Omeprazole, Omeprazole has more possible long term effects, whereas ZItac seems to be a gentler drug - both reduce CSF flow. Omeprazole can cause vomiting and loose bowel movements in some dogs unfortunately.

mommytoClaire
12th August 2011, 05:12 AM
Was gone all day today, so just catching up....well, it's after midnight. So glad to hear she has a wagging tail and is looking better.

Are you staying beyond Friday? How do follow ups happen? Instructions for at home care?

Sorry, three questions in a row.....I am just so glad she is with her family.

daffymum
12th August 2011, 08:21 AM
:l*v:So pleased that Gracie is brighter, it's always a good sign, the occasional yelps would be normal since I assume the staples hasn't come off yet, sounds like she will make a very good recovery.
Is she still on pain medication I wonder.
Best wishes
Daffymum

GraciesMom
12th August 2011, 03:11 PM
Was a poorly bandaged leg where her IV was! They had caught large pieces of fur in the tape! It was awful! We were pulling on her fur every time she moved! Grrrrrr! Took us a good 20 minutes of very careful snipping to get it off. They did not shave the area enough and looks like a kid wrapped the tape. Geez!

GraciesMom
13th August 2011, 03:15 AM
They discharged and was no arguing with them....this is how they do it. Gracie is doing well and has slept most of the time in the car and at home. We are watching her like a hawk. Walking her in the house on leash and very limited area outside for potty. She only gets 5-minute walks at a time. We eats well but have cut back her food with less activity. Doctor has cut out the omaprazole so that may help her poop return to normal. We are still on gabapentin and tramadol for now. More later.

BrooklynMom
13th August 2011, 03:31 AM
I am happy she made it home okay!! Gracie never ceases to amaze me, what a strong dog you have. How are you and your husband doing? How is Gracie coping being back at home?

This is a random question, but what does the surgery look like now? I mean, how much do they have to "cut open and staple" for something like this? And is it on her head or more on her spine? Sorry if these questions are too sensitive at the moment, so no need to go through it if it is too emotional for you, but I was just curious how these things go.

Continued thoughts and prayers for little Gracie :)

Sydneys Mom
13th August 2011, 04:23 AM
b*n*n*YEAH! Gracie's home. I'm sure she'll start feeling better now that she's in her own environment

mommytoClaire
13th August 2011, 04:30 AM
That is the best new I've heard all week. I hope you will all sleep well at home. I assume you follow up with the neurologist? Or perhaps you have to drive down there in a few weeks....

No matter, it's all good. Sleep well. Claire and I are having a party about Gracie being home.b*n*n*

anniemac
13th August 2011, 09:25 AM
I'm so glad she is home :) I've been thinking of you.

GraciesMom
13th August 2011, 02:06 PM
And like Annie or someone else said, she is not trying to be too active yet and is sleeping alot. She did go sit quietly on leash in the front yard with my hubby this morning. He did not let her move but she really did not try anyway, but her tail was wagging much of the time. It is kind of like her head feels heavy. She enjoyed hearing light raindrops under our big maple tree. All functions still working... poop is still a bit soft and orangish from the anesthesia and omeprazole, which we have now stopped giving.

gyoselyn
14th August 2011, 02:36 AM
I'm so glad that Gracie is home and recovering well. Sending a lot of hugs to Gracie, what a trooper she is! :D

Kathleen
14th August 2011, 07:08 AM
I'm so glad Gracie is doing so well x

Nicki
14th August 2011, 09:29 AM
Debra has updated on Facebook that sadly Gracie isn't doing so well, ,they were having a difficult time managing her pain so she is back in the hospital, on an IV with stronger pain meds.

It is not uncommon for there to be a few difficulties, especially a few days post op :( and recovery can be an emotional roller-coaster, with these awful difficult times.

Debra, we are thinking of you and hubby and precious Gracie :flwr:

BrooklynMom
14th August 2011, 01:30 PM
Not a post I wanted to read as my nightly Gracie update :( poor thing. Thank you for sharing this though Nicki...let's get the thoughts going for Gracie! Nothing is as strong as hundreds of Cav lovers wishing healing on you. Hugs to you little Gracie, you will be in my thoughts and I will say a little prayer for you now before I close my eyes for sleep.

Debra, I am thinking of you and your husband. Hang in there, we are here however we can help! I can imagine that this must be so emotional. Hugs.

GraciesMom
14th August 2011, 02:31 PM
I missed this was here and just posted update. There are so many folks here to love for their support and big hearts. I do know when this issue is resolved, I am going to be a fighter her in the USA to raise awareness of this issue.

Nicki
14th August 2011, 03:06 PM
Debra's posted an update here http://www.cavaliertalk.com/forums/showthread.php?39267-Need-your-prayers...&p=399814#post399814 so I'm going to close this thread.