PDA

View Full Version : Need your prayers...Gracie update

GraciesMom
14th August 2011, 02:27 PM
Gracie is back at vet hospital. We are having trouble managing her pain. They have her on IV pain meds and she slept thru the night. It does not appear to be swelling or inflammation. And she is still eTing ok. They were thinking she may have what is called pain windup where her receptors are over-reacting and trying to wind it down with some strong meds. But she still yelped pretty bad when she went out to potty. It is odd that it comes and goes....and when it comes she sits up and gets very tense like she is having a wave of pain or bad spasm. Then it goes away.

The surgeon will look at her today and see if he can find anything problematic inside that did not show up initially. The fear is that she is now feeling pain from the syrinx triggered by spinal fluid finally going where it needs to go. We may not be able to control this enough....she has a very large syrinx after all. I do know that I will not let her suffer if we can't get this under control. Prayers and whatever you believe appreciated so much.

Nicki
14th August 2011, 03:05 PM
I'm so sorry Debra, sending healing thoughts and our love to you all - so many people on here care about you, your husband and precious Gracie, I hope that that will give you all the strength to get through this. :flwr:

anniemac
14th August 2011, 03:10 PM
I am so sorry :( I am praying hard for you. I know gracie is a strong girl and you are doing the right thing.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

waldor
14th August 2011, 03:12 PM
I'm so sorry to read about this setback. I hope the vet will get it figured out and that your Gracie will be back on the road to recovery. :xfngr:

meljoy
14th August 2011, 03:27 PM
Debra,
I know it must be hard but try and keep strong. This maybe a setback that can easily be rectified.
My warmest wishes and prayers are winging their way to you and Gracie (& Hubby) of course.

:flwr:
Mel

mishy
14th August 2011, 03:28 PM
Really sad to hear of Gracie's setback. We will all be praying for Gracie and you and your family.

mommytoClaire
14th August 2011, 04:06 PM
Oh Debra, I am at at loss for words. I think you need to just give it a bit of time. The body is incredible and Gracie hasn't even had a week to heal. Perhaps as time goes on, it will begin to calm out as the body and brain adjust. I remember when my Nash had the first bout of pancreatitis, he we in so much pain, and crying all the time. We were so scared. It just took some time for his body to heal. Also remembering my dads recent brain surgery. The second one was more painful than the first, and it took longer for him to be pain free.

In the meantime, know that I am praying for you all. Praying most that Gracie will become pain free, or at least lesser pain and rally back. Hugs to you all.

Sydneys Mom
14th August 2011, 04:09 PM
This is terrible to hear. Praying for the best possible outcome. Love you and Gracie. With the help of the doctors, you will make the right decision

Margaret C
14th August 2011, 04:38 PM
Debra,

I am holding you and Gracie close in my heart.

gamefanz
14th August 2011, 05:02 PM
I'm so sorry to hear this. I hope they can find the issue and give her some relief. Many thoughts going out to all of you :hug:

Becky

Kathleen
14th August 2011, 05:19 PM
Debra, my thoughts and prayers are with you and Gracie xxx

HollyDolly
14th August 2011, 05:27 PM
:hug::hug::hug:

love and hugs to you all

Nanette

Erin2854
14th August 2011, 05:31 PM
Lots of love and prayers heading your way. I really think she is going to get through this :hug:

Desrae
14th August 2011, 05:37 PM
thinking of you and sending positive healing vibes your way.:hug:

GraciesMom
14th August 2011, 05:55 PM
Hubby just got back from the vet clinic. They only let one of us visit and he is the better one to see her now.... I am a mess! Gracie was definitely better... but that is a cautious better. They are transitioning her to a fentanyl pain patch and prednisone. After examiming her, they feel that the incision area itself is indicating some inflammation or irritation, but no fever. It is overly tender to touch that area. They are conferring directly with Dr. Schubert.... this is the downside of having surgery away from home, but they are sharing information frequently.

Hopefully, prednisone will help any inflammation. Hubby said she was happy to see him and rested in his lap... she looked much better overall. She went back to her crate there willingly... like she just wants to rest and get more drugs. She is pretty out of it, so she is not really missing us at this point.

Blondiemonster
14th August 2011, 06:32 PM
Hubby just got back from the vet clinic. They only let one of us visit and he is the better one to see her now.... I am a mess! Gracie was definitely better... but that is a cautious better. They are transitioning her to a fentanyl pain patch and prednisone. After examiming her, they feel that the incision area itself is indicating some inflammation or irritation, but no fever. It is overly tender to touch that area. They are conferring directly with Dr. Schubert.... this is the downside of having surgery away from home, but they are sharing information frequently.

Hopefully, prednisone will help any inflammation. Hubby said she was happy to see him and rested in his lap... she looked much better overall. She went back to her crate there willingly... like she just wants to rest and get more drugs. She is pretty out of it, so she is not really missing us at this point.

Heartbreaking. Ive personally never heard of a surgery failing for this reason.... (meaning dog with a severe syrinx that all of a sudden breaks down because the spinal flyid being restored after surgery) Honestly; if thats a real possibility then I would really need to know as Blondir gas a large syrinx too with symptoms that dont correlate to the severity of syrinx. Maybe Karlin or Russ now more..? But since i havent heard of this i have good hopes!! I think her body will restore... Hang in there! Love ur gracie

GraciesMom
14th August 2011, 06:40 PM
Good point BlondieMonster. What the doctor in Florida said was not that the syrinx might be breaking down... but that the infusion of spinal fluid could be irritating the syrinx so that it is causing periodic pain... maybe temporarily as the CSF enters the spinal areas. I hope others here know more about this and can speak to it. They honestly do not know for sure... it may just be that the surgical area is overly tender for no reason or for a major reason, such as inflammation in the area. Because it comes and goes... and is not constant, that rules out some issues that would cause constant pain. We may never know for sure....

Blondiemonster
14th August 2011, 07:13 PM
Good point BlondieMonster. What the doctor in Florida said was not that the syrinx might be breaking down... but that the infusion of spinal fluid could be irritating the syrinx so that it is causing periodic pain... maybe temporarily as the CSF enters the spinal areas. I hope others here know more about this and can speak to it. They honestly do not know for sure... it may just be that the surgical area is overly tender for no reason or for a major reason, such as inflammation in the area. Because it comes and goes... and is not constant, that rules out some issues that would cause constant pain. We may never know for sure....

U could see that... Just imagine everything in the back if ur brain stops flowing and there is water in ur spain, all o a sudden flow restores; as almost taking your finger of a gardenhose. I could see how that causes discomfort. If u hold a river from flowing with a dam and then remove the dam the river is going to be out of control , only to then restore later to a normal peaceful river...

mommytoClaire
14th August 2011, 07:41 PM
Debra, I realized after reading my post that maybe it sounded like I was trying to compare pancreatitis to brain surgery, I was not. I just know that sometimes it takes a bit for the body to accept a correction. My father has NPH, Normal Pressure Hydrocephalus. The ventricles stop working correctly, causing water build up. He has had three surgeries. Long and short is his third surgery (they replaced a shunt that had failed) was his most painful. They weren't sure why. But it just took a little longer for his body to adjust, and he ended up hospitalized longer than when they put in the first shunt.

I am praying that this new drug combo will help Gracie till her body adjusts to all the new stuff happening. Gracie is a fighter, and you are too! So you just be strong for Gracie. Believe that she will get better. See her with confidence that she is YOUNG and strong and will get through this. And you are STRONG too! Think only positive stuff okay? Hugs to you both. Gracie WILL get through this!

anniemac
14th August 2011, 08:03 PM
Blondiemaster aka lynn, dr. Brofman described it exactly like a dam and having all the water rush. So if it is causing the syrinx discomfort I hope it adjusts like a peaceful river. Think of all the csf built up had to make her feel bad and hopefully ease that pressure.

I know its hard to do, even though I'm amazed by your strength, its important for gracie to feel that. "A possitive mental attitude is better than any medicine". Thinking and praying for you, your hubby and gracie!

GraciesMom
14th August 2011, 08:16 PM
I called and talked to the doctor working with her now. They just took her outside to walk around and potty without incident. They are slowly weaning her off the IV meds but have the fenadyl patch on her. So far, so good. She also is on the prednisone. Likely to keep her there at the clinic until tomorrow, which is probably best for her so that they can help if the patch is not strong enough. Thank you all for being here....

Yes, I can imagine that the CSF would be a major change now that it is flowing where it should. Hopefully, it will adjust over time so that it causes less discomfort as Anniemac said. I am sure that she also has some pain just from the surgical procedure itself too. A lot for a litttle doggy to deal with. If they can keep her comfortable, that is all I care about.

MommytoClaire... I am so sorry your dad NPH... I have a friend who had it and very painful disorder. I hope all is better with him.

Love my Cavaliers
14th August 2011, 08:31 PM
Fentanyl is a pretty good drug. Hopefully that in combination with prednisone will keep Gracie comfortable, whatever the reason she is in pain. The combo was a great one for Riley. I think you made a smart move to keep her overnight at the clinic. We're all rooting for her and keeping all of you close in our hearts.

mommytoClaire
14th August 2011, 09:57 PM
Debra, my dad had the original surgery a year ago May and has had two major setbacks. But I can tell you this, prayer and the love and strength of his family is what has gotten him through it all. Last Summer he collapsed with a high fever, delirious, it was horrible. But we never gave up hope he'd recover fully. He is doing well, and we know he's a miracle because the doctors had given up on trying to figure out what was wrong.

So what I'm saying is you fight for little Gracie. I just know that the positive attitude and prayers will make all the difference for her. She has to meet Elton someday soon, so just work toward getting her well.

Give her a little hug from Claire and I. And try to get some rest. I know you probably won't sleep well, but just some rest.

Tania
14th August 2011, 10:11 PM
We are thinking of you, sending hugs and healing thoughts to Gracie. :hug:

GraciesMom
14th August 2011, 10:26 PM
So far, no more pain episodes but they are very slowly backing down the IV meds and relying more on the patch and prednisone to help her gabapentin work. They want to make sure her pain can be managed this way before releasing her. She is mostly sleeping so that is good too. Also gives us a chance to have a break from the stress a bit too. Going down the street to friends for casual dinner.... and that will be good.

lovecavaliers
14th August 2011, 11:42 PM
Just finished reading this thread and so very happy to read your last post stating that Gracie is doing better. I will keep praying for her to get through her recovery with as little pain as possible.
I do hope you enjoy your dinner and get some well deserved relaxation, even if just for a couple of hours.

hugs to you and gentle hugs to sweet Gracie.

BrooklynMom
15th August 2011, 02:37 AM
Whew, that was one roller coaster of a thread from start to finish! I am so glad that is seems they have been able to manage her pain a little bit, poor thing. I mean, if I think about having that happen to me, I cannot imagine the pain. She will get through this Debra, we will keep praying and your good energy will do her wonders. It no doubt is going to be a long road, but Gracie is a strong little girl and she has proved to all of us how tough she really is. It was good of you to get her into the hospital though and get the drugs in her to make her more comfortable .

Sending SO MANY HUGS!!

Furrfoot
15th August 2011, 08:11 AM
Praying ((hugs)).

daffymum
15th August 2011, 12:14 PM
Hello
CKC dogs are very stoic.It was a major operation, so as long as she is sleeping well and eating ,she is healing; each day =a milestone of healing. Daffy was on Rimadly ( a painkiller )and an antibiotic.
I am keeping Gracie in my thoughts.

Daffymum

GraciesMom
15th August 2011, 03:41 PM
They said she has been doing good on the pain patch, prednisone and gabapentin. Only whining when no one paying attention to her! So happy to bring her home but know we still have a long road ahead.

Brian M
15th August 2011, 03:51 PM
Hi Deb

"Only whining when no one paying attention to her"

I could say typical female but I daren't.

Best Wishes To You Both
Come Gracie you are doing smashing for us all ,keep it up girl .:)

Sydneys Mom
15th August 2011, 04:02 PM
:jmp::jmp::jmp::jmp::jmp::jmp::jmp::jmp::jmp::jmp: :jmp:

Yeah for Gracie! Soooooooooooo glad she's feeling better.

Only whining when no one paying attention to her!

I guess this is business as usual!:p

GraciesMom
15th August 2011, 06:02 PM
"why isn't everyone here paying homage to me???" I am sure that went thru her mind.

She is home now...fed, drank water and now zonked out on the bed near me....:o

Brian, you did darest, but it made me laugh out loud. :lol:

Tania
15th August 2011, 06:30 PM
Brilliant,sounds as though it is a step in the right direction. cl*p

mommytoClaire
15th August 2011, 06:44 PM
I could not be happier. Music to my ears. Okay, she deserves to be treated like a Princess, because she is one. And let any of us try brain surgery!

Nicki
15th August 2011, 08:10 PM
Brilliant news, so pleased to hear this!! It takes 24 hours for hte pain patch to start working [Fentanyl]

[BTW I'm away so I'm having problems accessing the forum, will try to keep in touch]

GraciesMom
15th August 2011, 09:56 PM
They started her in the patch yesterday so was in her system. She has been pain-free except one teeny yelp when I picked her up. But have picked her up several times and one out of 10 is okay. She ate food at lunch for first time in nearly 2 days and she definitely is thirstier on prednisone, as warned. When outside to potty, you could definitely see how much better she is. I had to HOLD her butt to the ground several times to keep her from going too fast. So...hoping we can keep the pain at bay on these meds.

P.S. She wants to know when Brian is coming by to put her on his lap. He he!

jld
16th August 2011, 12:57 AM
So happy to see this post. Baby steps....... One day at a time. Never give up. She is a fighter as are you and your hubby. So proud of all of you. You are truly an inspiration to all cavalier owners.

mommytoClaire
16th August 2011, 04:28 AM
*Smiling*. Bigger then they have a emoticon for!:l*v:

Sabby
16th August 2011, 12:03 PM
I am so glad Gracie is home with you. Hopefully her recovery will be even better now in familiar sarroundings.

GraciesMom
16th August 2011, 03:31 PM
No pain episodes and more of her personality showing, even though still sleeping alot. She did a massive poop today...was still on soft side and a bit orange in color. Given all the meds she is on, being back at vets for 2 days and having been through such pain a few days ago... I am not surprised. Am wondering a bit about the orange color though... Any ideas?? Not gonna worry about this unless it gets worse or continues after we remove the omeprazole again. She is eating well and is more thirsty, as expected for prednisone. We start scaling that back tomorrow. I sure am thankful for the fentanyl!

Sandrac
16th August 2011, 03:44 PM
So pleased that Gracie is continuing to improve.

Sending her lots of gentle get well :hug:

jigglymarina
16th August 2011, 03:47 PM
Gracie is such a brave little girl :l*v: I am so happy that she is doing better :) After reading this thread, I can only imagine what you've been going through :(
Sending lots of hugs your way and kisses from Amelie :hug:

RodRussell
16th August 2011, 04:38 PM
... Am wondering a bit about the orange color though... Any ideas?? ...

I think orange may be related to the anesthesia, but am not sure.

GraciesMom
16th August 2011, 04:45 PM
That stuff must still be in her system a bit... I sure do not want to give her more drugs unless I have to...

Nicki
16th August 2011, 05:04 PM
So pleased to hear that Gracie is doing a bit better - I strongly suspect the colour in the faeces is due to the medication, but it is worth checking with the hospital.

Tania
16th August 2011, 06:07 PM
I am so glad to hear Gracie continues to improve. Hugs and kiss's :hug:

Kathleen
16th August 2011, 06:26 PM
So glad Gracie is doing better xxx

mommytoClaire
17th August 2011, 04:57 AM
I was thinking anesthesia, and they say in humans can leave lingering affects for a while. Has she been on Pred before? Don't know if that would create any issues. But, as someone else said, might be worth calling the clinic just to ease your mind.

Amazing how on dog forums, good poops bring everyone such happiness, and bad ones are such a concern.:lpy:

So glad that Gracie is on the mend!

GraciesMom
17th August 2011, 02:01 PM
This is soooooo true....one of the few ways dogs tell us things are okay! Gracie had been on a bit of prednisone when they gave her an allergy med that had a bit of it, but not much. Main effect then was she had huge appetite...for a change.

Amazing how on dog forums, good poops bring everyone such happiness, and bad ones are such a concern.:lpy:

So glad that Gracie is on the mend!

Brian M
17th August 2011, 03:12 PM
Hi Deb

So agree ,good firm poops mean happy Cavaliers or should that be people.:)

Nicola Norridge
17th August 2011, 07:11 PM
Wilbar and I are thinking of you both x

GraciesMom
18th August 2011, 01:28 AM
So adding the fish oil and more probiotics again like I used to... Geez, the poop stuff is sure time consuming!! :rotfl:

lovecavaliers
18th August 2011, 03:19 AM
Good poops= healthy dog, easy pick up and no rear end sink bath, which makes for a very happy Mom:p:p

Glad to hear Gracie is doing well.

mommytoClaire
18th August 2011, 03:58 AM
She'll get better. Her little body has been through sooooo much! Other than that, how is she?

waldor
18th August 2011, 04:27 AM
I am so happy to see that Gracie is on the mend! :l*v:

GraciesMom
18th August 2011, 04:26 PM
Woooo hoooo!! Had to walk her around a bit outside... very slowly... but about 7 minutes of just slow walking around. We now have PERFECT poop!

Furrfoot
18th August 2011, 06:36 PM
b*n*n*!!! (happy dance, lol)

RodRussell
18th August 2011, 06:59 PM
Good poops= healthy dog, easy pick up and no rear end sink bath, ...

Yes, I much prefer the drier variety, especially from sneaky little bitches who don't like the feel of wet grass on their precious paws in the morning.

anniemac
18th August 2011, 08:03 PM
Yes, I much prefer the drier variety, especially from sneaky little bitches who don't like the feel of wet grass on their precious paws in the morning.

I can't believe where this thread went, now to poop.

So glad gracie is doing much better!

Desrae
18th August 2011, 08:12 PM
I can't believe where this thread went, now to poop.

So glad gracie is doing much better!

Yes, leave it to Cavaliertalk members to get it to this level! :rotfl:
I kid, I kid.
Very good news to see that Gracie is doing better!

GraciesMom
18th August 2011, 09:19 PM
It always goes to poop!!!!icon_blshing:grin:

Pat
18th August 2011, 10:41 PM
b*n*n*!!! (happy dance, lol)

If we changed the color of the banana from yellow to brown, this could be a dancing...........oh never mind.

Pat

Jasper and Holly
19th August 2011, 07:06 AM

Jasper must be gay then as he's the one who doesn't like getting his feet wet! Holly will go anywhere!

GraciesMom
19th August 2011, 03:24 PM
If we changed the color of the banana from yellow to brown, this could be a dancing...........oh never mind.

Pat

Great idea!!!

Nicki
22nd August 2011, 03:41 PM

Pat

Couldn't quite manage that but did find this for you...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v510/RupertsMum/993png.gif

:yikes

:rotfl::rotfl:

Furrfoot
22nd August 2011, 06:44 PM

Pat

Bahahaha! Guess what I found...heh heh heh...(on a pet forum, no less, lol): http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j213/boxart/smilies/dancingshit.gif

GraciesMom
22nd August 2011, 07:40 PM
And it all works out in the end!

Couldn't quite manage that but did find this for you...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v510/RupertsMum/993png.gif

:yikes

:rotfl::rotfl:

mommytoClaire
23rd August 2011, 01:18 AM
Oh Pat, that is funny! Love the new smilies! Yes, these posts certainly do seem to always go to poop!

Jasper and Holly
23rd August 2011, 03:05 AM
That's so funny....for some reason I always find it funny when talking about poo and toilet humour!