PDA

View Full Version : Daisy's Appointment At Chestergates "Mr Geoff Skerritt" Mon 22 nd 11.00 AM

Brian M
16th August 2011, 09:39 AM
HI

It is with great sadness that :(I have decided that I must take my little Daisy to Chestergates for a consultation ,the
appointment has been made with Mr Geoff Skerritt for next Monday 22 nd August at 11.00 AM
with a follow up MRI the same day if required.

My philosophy with lots of things in life has been to face problems if and when they occur rather than worry
about things that may never happen .So as my Daisy may now have to live with possibly SM/CM the rest
of her life I am faced with a big learning curve regarding these horrendous problems that face many of
our beloved Cavaliers ,so I may be asking for lots of help from other members to assist me in my future
care of my little Blenheim girl "Dangerous Daisy".After watching her carefully for a time I can see no obvious signs of pain
so I hope that whatever it may be is in its early stage and that it will be controlled and relieved by medication
only as I cannot ever see us going any other way.I suppose I am fortunate in living only 15 mins away from
the Chestergates facility and that Mr Skerritt who has done so much for all our Cavaliers is there to care for
Daisy.

Thanks to all in advance.:(

sins
16th August 2011, 10:17 AM
Don't feel sad about it Brian,
You're doing absolutely the right thing.You're so very lucky to have Chestergates practically on your doorstep.Whatever medication is required,they'll be able to advise and guide you.
Not all cavaliers scream,scratch and bunny hop when they have a syrinx,but what you've observed,totally justifies an appointment.Otherwise,she's a healthy strong dog and I'm sure she'll do just fine,whatever the outcome.
Most importantly,never try to anticipate the outcome of a scan.
What will be will be.
Sins

mishy
16th August 2011, 11:10 AM
So sorry to hear about Daisy. I will be praying that you get good news but if your worst fears are confirmed you are in the right place for expert advice and support. I can only offer the latter but be assured that all your friends on here will be praying for you and Daisy. You know I have a real soft spot for Miss Daisy please give her a big hug from me. Stay strong.

Sabby
16th August 2011, 11:56 AM
Brian
I am so so sorry to hear about Daisy. If I be closer to you I would come and keep you company on Monday. I know the waiting is the worse. I just hope itís a good outcome. Like you know they found CM/SM on my Ebonies scan but she has no symptoms yet and she is a happy dog even despite her other problems. You are doing the best you possibly can for Daisy and thatís all you can do. At least we are aware of the problems thanks to this Forum and people like Tania and Margaret.

You and Daisy are in my thoughts. Sending
:hug::hug:

mommytoClaire
16th August 2011, 12:42 PM
Awww Brian, am so sorry. I must have missed the post in which you mentioned her symptoms. How old is Daisy? Do you mind sharing what led you to this decision?

I'll be praying that you will have peace at whatever the outcome and that IF Daisy should show something on a scan, it will easy to handle.

She is a beautiful girl, and you are a great dad. Be strong! Hugs from Claire and I.

anniemac
16th August 2011, 12:59 PM
I'm so sorry Brian :( beautiful Daisy who always makes me smile. Like Sins said you are doing the right thing. Thinking of you

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Margaret C
16th August 2011, 01:32 PM
Sometimes what we imagine is a lot worse than reality.

Well done and good luck.

I will be keeping my fingers crossed for you and Daisy next Monday:xfngr:

Sydneys Mom
16th August 2011, 02:23 PM
Sorry you and Daisy may have to face this horrible disease. Just remember, you are not alone. You have the whole CT forum here with you for each and every doctor appointment. I ca't offer any advice, but I do offer all the support you need.

anniemac
16th August 2011, 02:26 PM
Sometimes what we imagine is a lot worse than reality.

Well done and good luck.

I will be keeping my fingers crossed for you and Daisy next Monday:xfngr:

Exactly. The most important thing is to treat daisy's symptoms.

anniemac
16th August 2011, 02:30 PM
Also brian,

Remember that each cavalier is different. You have been on this forum and have a tremendous heart so have felt the hardships others have with CM or CM/SM. Some are worse than others so just know you are seeing a great neurologist who will treat daisy. You have a lot of support but as Margaret said sometimes we can imagine the worse. Sweet daisy... stay strong.

GraciesMom
16th August 2011, 03:10 PM
Is that we are here with support for you and Daisy....I love her dearly as she reminds me so much of Gracie's spunky personality. It broke my heart to read this post, but getting her tested is the right thing to do. I was lucky that Anniemac introduced me to SM and surgery thru her Ella very early on, so that I had some idea what SM was and the options. I then read everything I could here and elsewhere. About drove the neuros crazy with all my questions and ideas.

I just pray that you will indeed have much better news than we did ... And feel that you will. You and your girls are close to my heart always.

anniemac
16th August 2011, 03:28 PM
Brian,

You may need to see this picture to make you smile :) brian has a picture of daisy that whenever I felt down, I would look at it and laugh. Just that little thing she has with expressions could make me feel better.

http://tapatalk.com/mu/aeff23ed-7e7b-7d85.jpg

Daisy says.. yuck!

GraciesMom
16th August 2011, 03:35 PM
This is Gracie now when we give her Tramadol! Same face!

Brian,

You may need to see this picture to make you smile :) brian has a picture of daisy that whenever I felt down, I would look at it and laugh. Just that little thing she has with expressions could make me feel better.

http://tapatalk.com/mu/aeff23ed-7e7b-7d85.jpg

Daisy says.. yuck!

Sandrac
16th August 2011, 03:35 PM
Brian, we are with you and Daisy every step of the way whatever the outcome.

I am now nearly 18 months on from Minnie's diagnosis and the majority of the time she is just a normal dog doing normal things. I try not to not dwell on the might be but instead focus on what we have each day and the enjoyment she brings to our lives.:)

Fingers crossed for next week, you are doing the right thing :xfngr:

Nicki
16th August 2011, 05:23 PM
So sad to hear this Brian but it is really good that you are going to get her assessed and probably MRI'd. I was concerned to see that head tilt in your holiday video of her, and although that could occur for other reasons, Mr Skerritt will be able to talk you through it all.

You are indeed lucky to live so close to a fantastic facility - many of us are many hours or even days away from a neurologist.

You know you and Daisy will be in our thoughts, hoping and wishing for the best possible news - but it's ALWAYS better to know than to wonder, and you are also then in a position to give the help that may be required.

Tania
16th August 2011, 06:15 PM
Wishing you and Daisy all the best for Monday. I am over two years down the road with Molly since her diagnosis. With the correct medication she is living a very happy and contented life. Dougall who has cm is being managed very carefully, now we have found what works, he is a sweet naughty little boy. If Daisy is diagnosed, don't forget we are all here to help and support you. :p

Brian M
16th August 2011, 09:30 PM
Hi

And thank you all Ladies for your concern and kindness I am truly touched by the warmth and generosity of so many
here it is truly like one big extended family, so in my case it is like me being down and feeling so concerned with my
little girl Daisy and the unknown then all of a suddenI have lots of sisters oferring words of kindness ,support , assistance
and guidedance .It is truly amazing and I indebted to all in this marvellous community that is CavalierTalk.

I sincerely thak you all .

Kind regards with lots of Thanks

brian

HollyDolly
16th August 2011, 10:15 PM
Hi Brian

Dangerous Daisy is very lucky to have a Dad that cares so much.
Whatever the outcome we all know you will continue to
be the best Dad any dog could wish to have.

Will be thinking of you on Monday.

Nanette xxxxxxxxxxxx

GraciesMom
17th August 2011, 01:08 AM
Hi Brian

Dangerous Daisy is very lucky to have a Dad that cares so much.
Whatever the outcome we all know you will continue to
be the best Dad any dog could wish to have.

Will be thinking of you on Monday.

Nanette xxxxxxxxxxxx

Agree with this 100%.... Brian as a dad is the bestest!!!

Brian M
17th August 2011, 08:58 PM
Hi

How common is PSOM in Cavaliers ,and is it very difficult to differentiate between this and SM/CM and is
PSOM only confirmed by MRI like SM .I have read Betsey Lynch's informative comments about her "Trouble "
and the original diagnosis being mild to moderate CM and then with her problems with partial deafness in many
of her dogs .I have mentioned previously on CT about Daisy hearing me when she wants to hear me so it
just got me thinking should I be cramming up on PSOM as well but there's not a lot of info about .

Also is it wrong of me for know to ask about SM/CM or are they so different I should ask about them individually.

I am trying to learn so I hope my teachers will guide me ,thanks .

anniemac
17th August 2011, 09:10 PM
Hey brian,

I think PSOM is fairly common 40% I think? Look at rods website www.cavalierhealth.org. I know dr. Rusbridge also mentions it on her site. I asked this question recently about if they do an MRI (which will show PSOM) and it shows both, would they want to treat then?

The person on forum that knows about this is blondiemaster.

anniemac
17th August 2011, 09:12 PM
Its so hard because CM/SM can be asymptomatic and do you think its the PSOM causing symptoms or SM. There are different symptoms and I remember there is a blink test for PSOM, (which I will tell off forum) :) but I am praying for you!

Tania
17th August 2011, 09:32 PM
Hi Brian,

PSOM is diagnosed/confirmed by MRI. I have very briefly described in on the Cavalier Matters website.

There is more in depth information on Cavalier Health.

http://www.cavalierhealth.org/psom.htm

It is similar to Glue Ear, a mucus plus that fills the inner ear. Symptoms can be similar to cm/sm - can cause pain to the head and neck and a number of other problems.

Kate H
17th August 2011, 09:37 PM
If Daisy has PSOM, this will be clear on the scan, because they do a picture from the front through the skull, which shows the inside of the ears very clearly. If Daisy has it, Geoff will discuss treatment with you. It sounds, however, as if she may simply have the 'normal' partial deafness that is common in Cavaliers. You can just make allowances for it, or you could ask Chester Gates to give her a BAER test before she has her scan. This will tell you the degree of deafness she has, if indeed she is deaf and not just naughty! It simply involves her sitting on a table wearing comfortable headphones that are plugged into a computer; a noise is sent through the headphones and the computer measures how each ear responds to it. This was how we discovered Oliver is almost totally deaf in one ear. When he had his test (at the same time as his last scan 2 years ago) he was filmed, so you may see him doing his Snoopy as Red Baron imitation on the video that runs in the CG reception!

I think most neurologists take CM as a given in Cavaliers, because almost all of them have it. So the scan will tell you whether the CM is causing any problems, but its main purpose is to discover whether the CM has produced SM; it will tell you (a) whether Daisy has a syrinx, where and how big, (b) how much, if any, herniation there is (the bottom of the brain being pushed down into the spinal cord), and (c) whether her brain ventricles are dilated (enlarged). (b) and (c) can be produced by CM alone, without the presence of a syrinx; and the syrinx itself may or may not be producing symptoms, depending on its size (especially its width). All these factors will affect the amount of pain and discomfort Daisy experiences and what treatments will help. Oliver, for example, has a very small syrinx and moderate herniation, but very enlarged ventricles which cause most of his symptoms (the main one is light phobia and headaches) - so he is on a moderate dose of pain control (gabapentin) but a quite large dose of diuretic (frusemide) to try to reduce the fluid in the ventricles.

Hope this helps,

Kate (and Oliver and Aled on holiday)

GraciesMom
18th August 2011, 01:26 AM
The neuro showed me where that would show up on Gracie's MRI if she had it. It shows fluids in light colors and bones and other hard matter is black. Very odd to learn to read it myself...but can do it a bit now. Whatever it is, I hope it is very treatable.

ByFloSin
18th August 2011, 09:12 AM
Rebel was diagnosed but asymptomatic by Geoff Skeritt with CM, a large syrinx between C1 and C5 and curvature of the spine. Two years later some of the classic symptoms appeared overnight, so armed with the pictures from the MRI and Clare Rusbridge's matrix off we went to the local vet. She knew nothing about SM, although having quite a few Cavaliers on the books, so started him on a conservative dose of Frusemide, while she had a week to learn more.

As it worked out, the Frusemide brought about a vast improvement within about a week of treatment starting. About a year later he is a happy and healthy 8 yrs old Cavalier, now relaxed and living his life as it should be. He has regular 3 monthly check ups, the next of which is on the 24th. I am sure he will be fine, but if not, the vet has the matrix to take him another step up the treatment ladder.

If I hadn't taken Rebel for the MRI because the researchers were looking for clear scans from over 6's at the time, I would never have taken Rebel to Chester Gates and my vet would not have had the benefit of his scan pictures to see what was going on. They are the very best, despite the recent adverse publicity and I would not hesitate to return if Rebel deteriorated.

Brian M
19th August 2011, 03:49 PM
Hi

Thanks to all for your kind advice and good wishes ,especially the personal experiances .

We have an hours initial cosultation then I presume the MRI 4-5 hours and after that the diagnosis
and explanation ,what questions should I ask and what do you think Mr Skerritt will ask me.?

Luke will be with me and when Daisy is taken for her MRI rather than wait there like I did with
Rosie I have a dental appointmet at 2.45 ,so that will occupy till my return .

GraciesMom
19th August 2011, 04:50 PM
What questions should I ask and what do you think Mr Skerritt will ask me.?

We were lucky that we were in and out of there in about 3.5 hours. The MRI did not take as long as I thought but they were not real busy either. General suggestions:

Bring videos if you can showing symptoms.
Make a list of symptoms and any patterns related to when they are better or worse....he likely will ask about this. Especially note which side seems to be more affected, if any.
Note when you first became suspicious it might be neurological.
Other questions he might ask:

If you know of any neuro problems in her family history.
If she has had anesthesia before and any reactions to it since they will put her under.
If she is taking any meds and how much.
Questions you might ask:

Is the MRI full length of spine or partial... full is better but partial seems to tell you what you need to know.
What are specifics on what they find in MRI, including size and location of any syrinx and severity of any malformatiion in blocking spinal column?
Does he recommend surgery fairly soon or later... and what factors does he use to determine when?
What specific technique is used if he recommends surgery at any point for PSOM or CM....and would he do it or someone else?
For CM surgery, does he just do decompession only or also implant mesh or other material to try to control scar tissue? Ask him to explain why he has chosen this method over others.
What is the purpose and side effects of any meds prescribed for her? how long are they effective in the system? do they have a conflict with any other meds she takes? (Note...our initial neuro did not prescribe what has worked best for most dogs with SM...so this is important)
When will full impact of meds be felt in her system?
How long does any surgery take and typical period of hospitalization?
How many such surgeries has he performed? What were the results in terms of dogs that got better, worse or about the same over time? Are most able to reduce or eliminate some meds?
How often would she be checked on by staff in the hospital, especially when out of intensive care?
How often would you be updated on her status in first few days? When can you first visit her typically?
What is the first 2 weeks of recovery like at home?
What are signs of major problems once she is home?
If I think of more, I will let you know.
Hope this helps. I went in with a list but forgot some of these. So glad Luke will be with you.

Kate H
19th August 2011, 05:16 PM
Amending the useful list of questions - Daisy won't have anaesthetic because Chester Gates do their scans with a sedative, which means she should come round much quicker. So may be out just as you go to the dentist! Though I'm sure they'll keep her in the recovery kennels until you're back!

Kate, Oliver and Aled

GraciesMom
19th August 2011, 06:17 PM
Wish we had had an MRI with just a sedative too! So much easier on their little bodies. Also means she does NOT get a poodle cut save on her front legs too!

anniemac
19th August 2011, 06:51 PM
Wish we had had an MRI with just a sedative too! So much easier on their little bodies. Also means she does NOT get a poodle cut save on her front legs too!

Me too. I wonder if its cheaper too? But Gracie pulls off the poodle look

Blondiemonster
19th August 2011, 07:22 PM
Hi

Thanks to all for your kind advice and good wishes ,especially the personal experiances .

We have an hours initial cosultation then I presume the MRI 4-5 hours and after that the diagnosis
and explanation ,what questions should I ask and what do you think Mr Skerritt will ask me.?

Luke will be with me and when Daisy is taken for her MRI rather than wait there like I did with
Rosie I have a dental appointmet at 2.45 ,so that will occupy till my return .

I love how Anne keeps calling me Blondiemaster :) the name is BlondieMonster , thats her nickname . Lol. I wanted to share about PSOM. they discovered it on her MRI and did an immediate myringotomy. It relieved symptoms significantly. She also was diagnosed with Stupid Disease SM. Grrrr. A large syrinx down spine. She had a second MRI aftee 6 months in which the psom had returned. Second myringotomy. We are 6 months past that, but i have a gut feeling the psom is back. I can tell cause the scratchig at her ears is caused by it. (disappears after myringotomy) It complicates the situation for sure. I will be at the neuro in NY in monday for our 3 monthly visit so will be thinking of you since u are going monday too. U wont be alone :). My advice as to draining or no draining if psom is foubd during MRI: If she is symptomatic at all and psom is found on MRI i would persoanlly let them go ahead and drain it. With blondie they did it automatically...

Brian M
19th August 2011, 09:07 PM
Hi

Thanks Kate I totally forgot its a sedative and not an anaesthetic thats a comfort as I am very nervous
about G.A. thats the main reason I am such a fanatic over cleaning their teeth to hopefully prevent any
future dentals apart from the link with bad teeth and heart disease.

I have all the Bassenthwaite vidoes on You Tube which I can access via my iphone to show Mr Skerritt
Daisy in action, but they may not be a true reflection of her so not sure on this.

Just give her a bath with Petzlife Mango shampoo followed by the Mango conditioner then thinned
her hair a bit with a Mars rake followed by the furminator then the soft Mason Pearson brush with a nice
leave in conditioner and she was as good as gold ,no stuggling or scarching at all even when gently
brushed down her reactive side . She's now gently snoring all fluffy and smelly ,poor girl.

When Rosie saw Martin D last Oct he gave her quite a strong physiacal examination will it be similar with
Daisy as I know she definately wont like it and will react ,thanks Ladies.

Kate H
19th August 2011, 10:25 PM
Debra wrote: Wish we had had an MRI with just a sedative too!

Chestergates is one of the few places that does MRI without anaesthetic. People have mixed views about this: the proposed BVA/KC scheme won't accept their scans because they say the quality isn't good enough, but Oliver's scan seems perfectly OK and tells us what we need to know. Oliver is sensitive to sedation, so GA is reserved for life-threatening conditions! That's one of the main reasons I took him to CG - plus that it was done for £120 under the Midland Club scheme for mini-scans! He needed a very small amount of sedation to put him out for his scan. Oliver only had a mini scan of head and shoulders, so Daisy's full scan will take longer to do.

Brian: I would think that they will simply do the scan, with no physical examination first - the scan will tell them what they need to know much better than poking and prodding. When the scan has been done, Geoff Skerritt will put it up on the light box and explain it to you, and then discuss prognosis, symptoms and possible treatments.

Hope the coffee machine in reception is working to keep you both going!

Kate (and Oliver and Aled, who are coming home on Sunday)

meljoy
20th August 2011, 03:23 PM
Brian,

Can't believe Im only just reading this now! So sorry you are going through this. I know exactly how you feel as I had Leo scanned 2 years ago. The wait was agony and both my girls and I were a tearful emotional mess whilst we waited.

Keep strong and know everyone here will be there with you on Monday (in spirit if not in body).

Mel XX

lovecavaliers
21st August 2011, 04:17 AM
Brian just wanted to add that I too will be thinking of you and Daisy tomorrow. The waiting is awful but your doing the right thing, the unknown is even worse.
I will be praying for a good MRI read.

:lotsaluv:

Sabby
21st August 2011, 10:29 AM
Brian

You and Daisy will be in my thoughts tomorrow. I hope and pray that the outcome is a good one.

Kathleen
21st August 2011, 04:22 PM
Will be thinking of you and Daisy tomorrow :xfngr:

mishy
21st August 2011, 04:26 PM
Fingers crossed for Miss Daisy tomorrow. Will be praying for you and your family Brian hope all goes well.

jasperpaw
21st August 2011, 05:27 PM
Brian, so sorry to read that you have doubts about Daisy`s health. Thinking you and the delighful Daisy tomorrow, hope all goes well.

Brian M
21st August 2011, 06:01 PM
Hi

I should know by now but I don't and to be honest it puts a little lump in my throat .What am I talking about ? all
the kind heart sincere beautiful people here on Ct ,you think sometimes you are on your own then you open Ct
and start reading and its absolutely amazing .

Daisy and I sincerely than you all for your kind thoughts and wishes and Daisy tells me she sends sloppy internet licks
to all and that she will do her very best not to growl at Mr Skerritt but she says apart from all the bossy bravado
she is really only a little softie and will focus her big brown eyes on Mr Skerritt to try and make him a softie too .

Just read the " Welcome Letter " from Chestergates and signed the claim form so I have that, my insurance docs and
her annual vac cert and the small copy of her Kennel Club reg cert ,and my wallet of course ,cant think of anything
else I need but I might type a little word document with what her symptoms are and poss a list of her food and supplements
in case anything I give may clash with future medication .I haven't as yet contacted her breeder as I only have my suspcions
till we know one way or other tomorrow and then I will send a polite email as I hold her in very high esteem for all her beautiful Cavaliers.
We will all go to the park for a walk at 8.00 then home for 9.00 and she can have a little sleep then we will leave at around
10.20 and should get there for 10.40 to complete any paperwork and then we can watch Kate's Oliver on telly and wait for
Mr Skerritt .When I think about little Gracie and Debs long journey and then Chestergates is just a few minutes down Chester High Road
I am lucky to be so near .

Time for the last walk and game of ball so off to the park again .

ourempire
21st August 2011, 06:05 PM
I am so sorry to hear that Daisy might be ill. I hope the best for her and send you all my warmest thoughts and best wishes.

Sydneys Mom
21st August 2011, 06:44 PM
will be thinking of you and Daisy tomorrow and praying for the very best outcome for all. I see you have your list of things to bring......but I didn't see Daisy on the list! :hug:Good luck and we all will be waiting patiently for your update.

Nicki
21st August 2011, 08:59 PM
Good luck for tomorrow Brian.

Not sure what advice they have given you re feeding, I would not feed Daisy in the morning [or allow water] Put her in another room or in the car so she doesn't get upset with the others being fed.

It's a good idea to take a written statement of medications, also symptoms you have observed, medical history etc.

Usual procedure is to carry out a full neurological examination, which will be accompanied by questions about her symptoms etc.

Then she will have her MRI, and afterwards another consult to discuss the results. If necessary they may do a spinal tap - they shave a patch on the spine and remove a sample of spinal cord fluid.

We will be thinking of you

Brian M
21st August 2011, 09:48 PM
Hello Nicki

I have already prepared Pops ,Rosie and Lily's breakfast which Dawn can give and Daisy will
stay upstairs with me ,but you say NO Water is that right .?

GraciesMom
21st August 2011, 09:53 PM
You and Ms Daisy both. I too was sometimes at a loss for words at the lovely support from so many good friends here. I hope you too feel all of us with you tomorrow. We will be!!! What a great plan of action you have so that Daisy has several lovely activities. Sending gentle kisses from Gracie.

Nicki
21st August 2011, 09:57 PM
I'd lift the water at bedtime Brian - put it back down for the others as you go out the door.

I'm not sure what they recommend there if she's only having a sedative - what I've quoted is standard procedure for a GA, but I do the same if they are only having a sedative just in case.

Brian M
21st August 2011, 10:07 PM
Hello Nicki

Shall do ,thanks for your guidance.

Brian M
22nd August 2011, 06:45 AM
Hi
Just had my cornflakes and the girls have a
little treat apart from Daisy who gave me a
withering look ,she knows something is going on.

Jasper and Holly
22nd August 2011, 08:33 AM
Hi Brian,
Hope everything goes well today with Daisy. I will be thinking about you today. It must be awful for you to go through this. I know how much you love your girls. Fingers crossed you have a good outcome. Hugs from Jasper and Holly!

Brian M
22nd August 2011, 10:18 AM
HI

We are off ,fingers crossed for Daisy.:xfngr:

sins
22nd August 2011, 11:33 AM
Very best of luck Brian,
Give Dangerous Daisy a big hug from me.
Sins

anniemac
22nd August 2011, 12:38 PM

Brian M
22nd August 2011, 12:44 PM
Hi

Back home to wait .First what a nice man Mr Skerritt is and having now met him I have 100% confidence in all he does .Arrived at 10.45 saw
reception and booked her in signed a few forms answered a few questions and left an insurance form though I will pay before we leave .He guided us
to a room and observed Daisy as she meandered in asked lots of general questions,including how she walks does ever she trip or stumble and how she handles exercise generally, then asked about her hearing and then kneeled down and stroked down her right and Dasiy scratched .Explanation of the principles and inherited nature of SM and explained how CM is so common and its development and also explained about PSOM .He decided to give Daisy a full MRI under G.A. but prior to that a chest examination to make sure she can handle it and then a blood test to check her liver and kidneys function and then her MRI ,so I will see him after my dentist appointment at 3.30 then its decision time .Geoff then left after the arrival of a nurse who went over the procedures and what they will be looking for and explained the added risk of a G.A and of course requested a signed a consent form ,she kept Daisy on a little loop lead as we left first with Daisy trying to follow and of course guilt set in with leaving little Daisy behind looking after me.
Kate they have no television in reception now so couldnt watch Oliver .I did of course ask Mr S if he would buy a Cavalier now with all their problems and
with his knowledge ,he has a golden retriever and his wife a border collie ,he answered yes he would buy a Cavalier as he knows where to go ,so we agreed that if I ever decide on an addittion I shall ask him first .In half an hour we shall take Pops,Rosie and Lily for another walk in New Brighton I think then my dental appoitment then back to Chestergates to wait.
Oh I told him what I feed and what supplements I give and he is happy with that.

GraciesMom
22nd August 2011, 02:01 PM
First thing I checked today on the computer. Sorry she had to have anesthesia. I felt bad leaving Gracie too. It is always hard to do that but she is under anesthesia or out of it anyway. The waiting time drove me crazy, so hubby and I went to a movie to pass the time. I will be holding my breath until you report back. So hoping it is not serious at all.

It is great that he knows WHO to go to there for a Cavalier... it is VERY hard here to find out here who to go to. I have only identified FOUR breeders so far that I know do MRI testing and do not have history of SM. Augh!!!!

Sabby
22nd August 2011, 02:25 PM
I have been thinking of you and Daisy all day. Especially when AXA rang me this morning with the go ahead for Harleys scan on Thursday.

Sounds like you are in good hands with Mr Skerritt.

Brian M
22nd August 2011, 02:42 PM
Hello sabby
Just at dentist hope i am in good hands here as well ,
then back to Chestergates have almost rung them to
make sure Daisy is Ok but better not.

Nicki
22nd August 2011, 02:48 PM
Brian, you are in my thoughts [will post separately in a while, but there is a special reason why :( ]

Hope the dentist was ok, what an awful day to have that.

. Especially when AXA rang me this morning with the go ahead for Harleys scan on Thursday.

That's good news Sabby :thmbsup:

team bella
22nd August 2011, 03:01 PM
Brain, I've not been on line much so missed this thread. Dangerous Daisy is my thoughts and praying for good news, she is such a character.

Brian M
22nd August 2011, 03:26 PM
Hi
Back at Chestergates with my three teeth still intact.just
asked at reception she is just awake but still groggy
so we await Mr S who they have just told i am back,
sounds like the terminator.

Blondiemonster
22nd August 2011, 03:31 PM
Hi
Back at Chestergates with my three teeth still intact.just
asked at reception she is just awake but still groggy
so we await Mr S who they have just told i am back,
sounds like the terminator.

Oh boy paws crossed.. Were on our way to the neuro in half and hour or so ourselves on the other side of the ocean. Thinking of u Xoxo

mishy
22nd August 2011, 03:32 PM
Have been waiting all day for news Brian, everyone here is praying for Daisy, you are not alone.

Tania
22nd August 2011, 03:36 PM
Fingers crossed the news will be ok for Daisy.

Glad you dentist went ok and you didn't have to use your spare set:p

Sydneys Mom
22nd August 2011, 03:43 PM
Hi Brian, keeping all our fingers and toes crossed that you get good news. Thanks for the mini updates. Seems like you found someone ou have good confidence in th take care of Daisy.

Brian M
22nd August 2011, 03:59 PM
Hi

Cm grade 1,severe SM but no clinical sign
apart from scratching and psom in right ear

susandavis1
22nd August 2011, 04:04 PM
Oh Brian, I am so sorry you had this news, we had everything crossed for you and Daisy.

anniemac
22nd August 2011, 04:06 PM
I'm sorry Brian. I am glad that Daisy has been diagnosed so that she can start treatment and be managed correctly. I have been thinking of you. PSOM in right ear. I wonder if that is what mainly contributed to the scratching. Poor Daisy. I am glad he was able to see no clinical symptoms which sometimes I think is most important in that she will be able to hopefully be managed accordingly.

Nicki
22nd August 2011, 04:13 PM
So sad to read this Brian, I know it must have been a dreadful shock to you - even if you were expecting it :(

I'm sure Chestergates will give you a good treatment plan and that will enable Daisy to enjoy a more comfortable life - sometimes it's surprising how much better they are when they start treatment and we realise that perhaps they had been a bit uncomfortable before.

As Daisy is a bit older, that is in her favour - sadly the younger dogs tend to have a poorer prognosis.

meljoy
22nd August 2011, 04:25 PM
So very very sorry to read this Brian. Daisy is lucky to have you to take care of her, all the info and support you'll need are right here.....but you already know that.

Give gentle hugs to Daisy from Leo and I

:(

Spangly
22nd August 2011, 04:26 PM
Hello Brian
I`m so sorry to hear about Daisy. It must still be a shock even though you knew it was a possibility. Give yourself some time to digest this news, it does get better. Presumably, Daisy will be given meds now and then you will see how well they do manage. Sending gentle :hug:

Blondiemonster
22nd August 2011, 04:32 PM
Hi

Sorry Brian.. Though Im glad at least now you know. It is great that she has no clinical signs. Thats promising!! Mine does scratch at ears due to the psom. Did they drain it?? How old is daisy dukes? Your diagnoses sounds rxactly like the one we got a year ago though we had moderate CM. its a year later and we are still here and happy! Just so u know..:))

Sydneys Mom
22nd August 2011, 04:40 PM
I'm so sorry Daisy has gotten this diagnosis. I'm sure you're in shock right now, but remember all of us are here with you to help you and Daisy through this. ((((((hugs))))))

sins
22nd August 2011, 04:44 PM
Sorry to hear the news Brian,
I know you'll feel a bit down for a day or two until you get your head around it.Been there done that etc...
Now that you know exactly what the situation is,her welfare is paramount and you and Dawn being such brilliant owners,I know she'll want for nothing in terms of treatment.
Sins

mishy
22nd August 2011, 05:20 PM
So sorry Brian.

GraciesMom
22nd August 2011, 05:39 PM
Hi

This is pretty much what Gracie had as diagnosis, but no PSOM, at least not yet. I really wish I could hug you both sooooo much.... so sending a big big cyber hug. I know I was kinda in shock and then cried for a long time. I know you will work it all out over time. Daisy has the best possible daddy she could ever ask for on the entire planet.

ourempire
22nd August 2011, 05:58 PM
I am so sorry to hear this, Brian. I am sure Daisy is in good hands, and that you do all the best you can for her.
:flwr: :hug:

team bella
22nd August 2011, 07:39 PM
Oh Brian I'm so sorry. Its still a terrible shock for you. :hug:
One thing for sure Daisy has the best owner in the world to look after her.

jasperpaw
22nd August 2011, 07:47 PM
Brian I am so sorry to read this and realise what a shock it will be for you, but I know that you will do all you can to do the best for Daisy.

Sabby
22nd August 2011, 07:58 PM
I am so so sorry Brian. I am sure when you have digested the news and you are ready you will tell us more. Daisy is a fighter and so are you. She will always have the best possible life with you. I know everybody is saying the same things and it might not mean a lot right now.

Thinking of you and Daisy and your family. Daisy be the only one not knowing what all the fuss is about.

Jasperxxgabby
22nd August 2011, 08:10 PM
:hug:

Its so sad hearing the diagnosis like Daisy's and many others, just heartbreaking, like everyone as said, Daisy as the best dad and she will have the best treatment available, I have no doubt about that. Take care of yourself also :flwr:

gamefanz
22nd August 2011, 08:49 PM
This is such sad news, I'm so sorry. My heart goes out to Daisy and to your family:hug:

Becky

Reptigirl
22nd August 2011, 08:52 PM
I'm so sorry to hear the news :(

Brian M
22nd August 2011, 09:47 PM
Hi

Firstly thank you to each and every one it does help to know theres so many kind people out there and some who have faced the same or more
difficult problems than Daisy and I .

Secondly ,Dasiy is the same Daisy as she was twelve hours ago except for a little bald spot on her left leg that wasnt there before .Thirdly her diagnosis
was along the lines I expected and Fourthly is Daisy any better now than she was before we started after having a days stress, a GA, followed by a full body MRI ,so my honest answer is I dont know, but I did know prior to this she had no pain and I did know she scaratched if I rubbed her right side and I suspected PSOM which was confirmed by MR S but not sufficiently a problem to do anything about it for now as he said it was only in her right middle ear and may partially affect her hearing .We did find out she has what he described as Severe SM and her syrinx's are many but narrow so prob grade 2 .Daisy also has CM which MR S. Graded 1 and of course PSOM .As she is asymptomatic apart from if you stroke her she will scartch he said she shows no clinical sign of pain so the only medication he suggested was half a 20 gr tablet of Frusimide to possibly reduce pressure and hopefully slow down progression ,He checked her out prior to the GA to ensure she could cope took a blood sample for a liver and kidney function test which was fine and I forgot to ask about her heart which I should have done .So for now its frusimide only and no pain control medication as he thinks she has no need for this now so keep that for poss the future.I think thats all I can remember for now so overall disappoitment yes but some minus and some plus especially the no obvious pain and narrow syrinx .He gave me a proper XRAY which when I figure out how to digitise I will post .

Thanks again all for your concern,it did help a lot.:flwr::flwr:

Jasper and Holly
22nd August 2011, 10:03 PM
Brian,
I'm sorry to hear about Daisy and I'm so glad she has you to look after her. It must be heartbreaking for you. I'm glad to hear she is not in any pain. Sending hugs to you and your girls from down under. It must have been a long day for you today.

GraciesMom
22nd August 2011, 10:23 PM
Go home and rest and kiss all your doggies. Give Ms. Daisy a big nuzzle from us. The grade of the CM is encouraging to me....and narrow syrinx too. We were not ao lucky.

ByFloSin
22nd August 2011, 10:36 PM
I didn't want to check this thread because I was afraid of what might be there, but Brian, despite the diagnosis, Daisy could be an awful lot worse than she is.

What I can tell you on a positive note is that 20 mgs of Frusemide twice daily has absolutely transformed my Rebel. He was screecching with pain when I took him to my vet about a year ago, realising that he had symptoms for the first time. His face was contorted with pain at that time. Within a couple of daus on the Frusemide he showed small improvements, which have carried on all the time.

Rebel had also been almost stone deaf before he started treatment, then his hearing started to come back. This morning I forgot to stand behind him and to speak slowly and clearly when I gave him an instruction or said something I wanted him to hear. I was the other side of the room where he could see me and because all the dogs were playing up when I was short of time, I told him very quickly and quite sharply to do what I wanted him to do. To my utter amazement he looked straight at me, then popped his tongue out a little bit to say okay, then did exactly what I had asked. I said 'Good boy' and he licked my hand. So even a year later he is improving.

So Brian, if Frusemide can help Rebel so much I am sure it will help Daisy.

Sending cyber hugs for both of you :thmbsup:

Margaret C
22nd August 2011, 10:55 PM
So sorry to read this Brian, but as you say she is still your same beautiful Daisy.

10mg of frusemide twice daily kept my Tommy comfortable for a few years, and when he did become uncomfortable at least I could recognise what was happening and deal with it.

Give her a gentle hug from me

lovecavaliers
22nd August 2011, 10:56 PM
Hi Brian, just wanted to say how sorry I was to read about Daisy's diagnosis. Even though you suspected it was the case, one always hopes it is not. I am glad that she did not display any pain during evaluation.
I hope you and the girls have a relaxing night after such a busy and stressful day.
:lotsaluv:

Charlifarley
22nd August 2011, 11:07 PM
Brian like everyone else I am really sorry to read about Daisy's diagnosis but as you know she and you are in good hands and she will get the best of care from all involved. Hopefully the frusemide will give her great relief - just watch out for extra trips to the bathroom as it makes them very thirsty with associated extra peeing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HollyDolly
23rd August 2011, 12:11 AM
So sorry to hear of Daisy's Diagnosis Brian.
I am thinking of you all.

Love
Nanette

mommytoClaire
23rd August 2011, 02:23 AM
Brian, I've been gone for about 5 days, and came here first moment I could to find out about your precious Daisy.

Okay.....so you got the dreaded dx. You've faced the giant, and now time to battle it. You have so many wonderful friends here who care so deeply about you and the girls. People who have traveled this road before you and will continue to go on before you and lay the trail for you to follow.

I'm grateful to hear that she isn't exhibiting any pain. Of course, that is always one of our biggest cocerns with our wonderful Cav's. But I know you will be watching her carefully, always fully aware, and ready to care for her the best you can.

Keep the faith. Remember everyday new things are discovered about so many different disorder and disease. I pray that Daisy will have the great results that many others have gotten on the board.

Thank you for always being an encouragement to others here. Hoping we can do the same for you.

Hugs and prayers.

Kathleen
23rd August 2011, 05:50 AM
So sorry to read about Daisy's diagnosis. At least she is pain free and long may it continue. Thinking of you x

team bella
23rd August 2011, 02:20 PM
Give Daisy cavi kisses from Team Bella
:l*v: She's still and always will be Dangerous Daisy to me .....always makes me smile

Karlin
23rd August 2011, 02:48 PM
Sorry about the diagnosis, Brian; frusemide is a good place to start.

I wasn't aware Mr Skerritt was giving grades on severity of CM -- interesting.

It is very hard to tell whether PSOM is causing symptoms rather than SM. You can end up having to do the ear flushing procedure many times as well. I'd think given if SM is severe. that that is what is causing symptoms. Many if not most cavaliers seem to MRI with PSOM and if symptomatic they mostly respond to treatments for SM.

Brian M
23rd August 2011, 03:27 PM
Hello Karlin

And thanks .Started her off this morning with the frusimide ,I am off work all week so so far today they have all been out
twice and out again at 4.30 and of course Daisy is just Daisy .I had the dentist and Dasiy had her hospital yesterday and Dawn
has the docs tomorrow I think we are all falling apart ,but thinking more about her scan results I am more than pleased she
is showing no clinical signs of pain so apart from knowing what she has she is of course absolutely just my Daisy and my other
little bonus as well is that I also know after Rosies MRI last year that she has CM but again no sign of pain .

Did anything develop from the thread last year re NAC supplements and PSOM .?

Mr S gave me an Xray scan sheet and have been puzzled how to get the images on CD so I can share and learn ,anybody know,
I have asked Chestergates for a CD with them on but heard nothing yet also asked them if during the procedure they checked
her heart .You think you wont suffer from memeory failure when you hear the verdict but you do then over the next few days
you think of all the questions you should of asked but didn't.

Love my Cavaliers
23rd August 2011, 03:27 PM
I've been out of town for a few days visiting with family, so I'm just catching up and am so sorry to hear of Daisy's diagnosis. Hopefully the frusemide will keep her comfortable.

As much as I felt your pain, it was wonderful reading your diary and being privy to your innermost thoughts and feelings about your sweet Daisy and the agony of waiting for the appointment and then waiting to find out the results of the MRI. Those of us who have been there know exactly what you were going through.

Hugs and kisses to Daisy and her poodle legs.

sins
23rd August 2011, 03:46 PM
Brian,
If it's on film..
Hold it straight up in front of a strong light source or outside in mid day.
Photograph it,load it to Flickr.that's what I did with my daisy's and it gave a good idea of whatwas on the film.
Don't forget to sumbit the results to the AHT for the EBV scheme for both Daisy and rosie.
:o
Sins

Brian M
23rd August 2011, 04:08 PM
Hi Sins

Are Chestergates acceptable.The results are on a big xray sheet the type you put up on the sort of
lightbox thingy in a hospital .

sins
23rd August 2011, 04:34 PM
All scans are useful for the EBVs and don't forget they need the unaffected ones too.

If your Cavalier has been MRI scanned for syringomyelia and/or screened for mitral valve disease (heart murmur) then we would like to have a copy of the results certificates, together with the Kennel Club registered name and number of the dog or a 5-generation pedigree. For quality control purposes we cannot include in our database screening information about a dog unless we hold a copy of the results certificate and have owner consent to have it. All results certificates and the actual disease status of individual dogs will remain completely confidential and will not be shared with any other parties outside the AHT.

All copies of screening results certificates and pedigrees should be sent to:

Dr Sarah Blott,
CKCS Health Breeding Programme,
Animal Health Trust,
Lanwades Park, Kentford,
Newmarket,
Suffolk CB8 7UU

Or electronic copies of the documents (e.g. pdf files) can be e-mailed to BreedingForHealth@aht.org.uk

I would suggest Brian in your case,sending a copy of the reports sent to your vets where the diagnosis is mentioned,or in rosie's case where she is deeed to be unaffected.
Sins

Brian M
23rd August 2011, 07:35 PM
Sins

Can you empty your pm box pls

Bri

sins
23rd August 2011, 07:47 PM
Yessir!:p
Done...
Sins

Kate H
23rd August 2011, 07:56 PM
Hi Brian

Sorry you've joined the exclusive Cavalier club, but at least if Daisy does eventually get symptoms you know what you're dealing with and can tackle them straight away. Nag CG about giving you a CD - simply a matter of downloading it from their computer. They should also have given you a certificate with the results on it, and that's what you send to Dr Blott (a copy, anyway) together with a copy of Daisy's pedigree or KC registration.

By the way, I find the scan sheet much more manageable by cutting it into the separate photos and keeping them in an envelope - otherwise it doesn't fit into anywhere!

Kate, Oliver and Aled

sins
23rd August 2011, 09:16 PM
Do Chestergates still not automatically send scan results directly to the AHT?
You would imagine that at this stage it's something that could easily be done.
Sins

GraciesMom
23rd August 2011, 09:38 PM
I have extra copy of her MRI results on CD... just not sure if they take images from the USA.

Kate H
23rd August 2011, 10:13 PM
Sins wrote: Do Chestergates still not automatically send scan results directly to the AHT?

This is one of the stumbling blocks in setting up the official BVC/KC scheme - breeders want to control what is done with their results. As it stands at the moment they need to give permission or send the results themselves. Which is why the EBV scheme is on hold at the moment because they have not had enough MRI results sent to them to make it viable. I may be wrong (someone please correct me if I am), but until the official scheme is started I don't think any of the neurologists can automatically send results without the owner's permission.

Kate, Oliver and Aled

Desrae
23rd August 2011, 11:11 PM
I'm sorry about the diagnosis, but thankfully she seems to be ok and not in pain. You're a good dad, Brian, Daisy is indeed in good hands! Thinking of you and hoping all will stay ok.