PDA

View Full Version : Harley is going to get MRI



Sabby
17th August 2011, 10:29 AM
I talked to the vet last night again. We will do an MRI for the whole lot, leg, shoulder, neck, head and spine for SM. The vet wanted to do a head scan because of his ruptured eardrum again.
Unfortunately AXA is a bit slower than M&S. They will send me a pre authorisation form the vet will have to fill out and send back with Harley’s history then it takes about 5 days for them to make a decision. M&S done all that within 1 hour with Ebony. The MRI scanner is going to be there week after next on Thursday hope they get it sort it until then.

I am not naive about SM and I almost suspect Harley having some CM/SM, its like when the vet told me Ebony has CM/SM I was not surprised, but she is not symptomatic. If this limping would be coursed by SM and it is severe SM I really don’t know how I would cope. It’s only his 3rd birthday on Saturday and he is my boy my baby. We do everything together. I never had a bond like it with any other dog. It’s already breaking my heart.

sins
17th August 2011, 11:17 AM
I think it's a wise decision.At this stage you really need answers as to why he's still in difficulty.As you have the insurance,you should have him Mri'd as it may give some answers.
Try not to wory too much about SM/CM,but if the scan shows SM,I would get a referral to a neurologist to have him expertly assessed.
Sins.

Brian M
17th August 2011, 11:20 AM
Hello Sabby

So we are together over the next few days ,and of course my sincerest wishes to you all that Harleys scan is
clear and that you and your beloved Cavaliers have no more problems ,you have had more than your share of late .

With ref to AXA who are my insurers as well ,I only decided on Monday to take Daisy to my vets for a referral and then
phoned AXA to advise their response and my subsequent visit to Chestergates and the possibility if needed of an MRI
on the same day.They never mentioned anything about a pre authorisation form ? ,i just told them what is and may
happen and for them to send me some claim forms ,to which they said they would post me two and for one to be completed by Chestergates and the other for me to take to my vets for them to complete together with a 12 month history of her .So I think I will phone them again today to clarify the position and will advise later .

Best Wishes and Big Licks from The FlowerCavs
to Harley and Ebony.

Sabby
17th August 2011, 11:33 AM
Hello Sabby

So we are together over the next few days ,and of course my sincerest wishes to you all that Harleys scan is
clear and that you and your beloved Cavaliers have no more problems ,you have had more than your share of late .

With ref to AXA who are my insurers as well ,I only decided on Monday to take Daisy to my vets for a referral and then
phoned AXA to advise their response and my subsequent visit to Chestergates and the possibility if needed of an MRI
on the same day.They never mentioned anything about a pre authorisation form ? ,i just told them what is and may
happen and for them to send me some claim forms ,to which they said they would post me two and for one to be completed by Chestergates and the other for me to take to my vets for them to complete together with a 12 month history of her .So I think I will phone them again today to clarify the position and will advise later .

Best Wishes and Big Licks from The FlowerCavs
to Harley and Ebony.


Brian
I have a pre authorisation form because I canít pay everything up front and then claim it back. The pre authorisation form is so AXA pays the vet direct.

Love my Cavaliers
17th August 2011, 02:33 PM
Anytime a cavalier gets an MRI, SM is always lurking in the background of all of our minds. However all four of mine have had MRIs for various reaons and only one has SM. Oliver was the worst (of the 3 without SM) and I really suspected SM because of periodic lameness and weakness, but it turned out to be a cervical disc issue that was was repaired with surgery and he has had no more problems since then.

You need to get to the bottom of Harley's lameness though. Once you find out the results of the MRI, then you can move forward. I know it's hard not to imagine the worst scenario, we all do it. If it happens you know we'll all be here for you. Good luck.

GraciesMom
17th August 2011, 03:12 PM
I certainly know how scary this is.... Little Gracie is just 15 months and it does seem so unfair that it to her, but is unfair at any age really. As I was advised, take a deep breath because you do not know yet what is up. It may be a very treatable issue or minor CM aggravated by his activities or injuries. I am here...as are many others. I shed a river of tears in this process so I hurt for you and Sabby. I wish I could give you a warm hug in person. I hope you have someone to go with you to the appointment.

Sydneys Mom
17th August 2011, 03:32 PM
I just want to second what everyone else said and offer you my support. Whatever the outcome, Harley will still be your baby and you will, as always, take excellent care of him. Saying prayers and keeping fingers crossed for all of you.

Tania
17th August 2011, 04:17 PM
If this limping would be coursed by SM and it is severe SM I really donít know how I would cope. Itís only his 3rd birthday on Saturday and he is my boy my baby. We do everything together. I never had a bond like it with any other dog. Itís already breaking my heart.

Hi Sabby, I am so sorry you are going through this. I thought I would mention, when we had Molly scanned, limping was her only symptom that I could recognise as a problem. Looking back she was clearly in pain just by looking at the expression on her face and the dullness in her eyes.

I was told by the original Neurologist, she was severe and would not make her second birthday, he also said surgery was not an option.

Now she is on the correct treatment, she does not limp and lives a good pain free life. (we are now 2.5 years on)
Molly is not as active as other dogs and I do not push her into anything, I pretty much let her do what she wants.

There is a positive life after diagnosis even if it is severe. You will cope because you are the sort of person that will. You love Harley and your fighting instinct will take over to help, protect and do what is right for him. You also have us all here to help you if you need us.

mommytoClaire
17th August 2011, 08:28 PM
I just wanted to say that I will be praying for Harley and you these coming weeks. I can imagine it's soooo difficult. You have plenty of friends here who can guide you through this. It certainly isn't a club any of us want to join.

Take care, and try to remain positive.

Nicki
17th August 2011, 10:32 PM
So very sad to read this Sabby but I do think you are doing the right thing getting him MRI'd.

Thank you to everyone for your lovely replies above - very senstive, thoughtful posts showing what a wonderful, caring, supportive community we enjoy here. I don't think I can add anything - many of us have been in this awful positiion, and you do just cope, there is no option and because you love them so much you go to the ends of the earth for them.

Sabby
17th August 2011, 11:18 PM
Like Nicki said we are all very lucky to have such support and genuine caring people on this forum and I thank you from the bottom of my heart for your support and some very touching comments. Even if they made me cry. Thank you all for being here and caring for me and my boy Harley and also in the past months for my Ebony.