• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Weird episode getting B12 shot

GraciesMom

Poor Gracie... She is past due her B12 shot due to surgery so had mobile vet come by today to give it to her. Now she has had at least 10 of these before without any incident and barely a whimper. Today, they pinched up a bit of skin halfway down her back and gave the shot. You would have thought she had been run over by a truck! She yelped and yelped for at least 3 minutes. She finally wound down a bit and we put her down to see if she would walk around. She did but still let out a couple of yelps and tried hard to get to the shot location with one paw. The vet said the liquid was cold and maybe she was reacting to that, but she was also alarmed by this incident.

It was like the shot triggered another pain windup....like we had Saturday. It did start to go away slowly but we gave her a bit more pain meeds to help. She has been back to normal for past 90 minutes.

Does anyone have any idea why the B12 shot would cause this huge reaction? Are her pain receptors just kinda in overdrive still?

The vet also saw Gracie spit up the Tramadol liquid about 10 minutes after taking it as she does sometimes with us...it seems to happen about 1/3 of the time.

She has call the vet school about this she is concerned Gracie has problem with Tramadol. She also was going to ask about the screaming after the shot, but would I would appreciate any feedback you all have to the episode.

B12 stings - very badly! Injection site can be sore for an hour or so. Vet should know this. Also, injection should be given very slowly to lessen the stinging effect so perhaps it was injected too quickly. I'm actually surprised that she hasn't reacted in the past. Is this the same vet that has given the injections the past ten times? It sounds as if they are giving the injection subq rather than IM. I would not administer anything subq anywhere along the back of any Cavalier. I'm very careful if I give any subq fluids to a Cavalier to avoid the center back area. I wonder why vet isn't giving injection IM in the thigh.

By the way, I don't know what you are paying for B12 injections but you can do subq B12 injections for just pennies for each injection. I paid something like $4.00 for a bottle of B12 and needles and syringes are dirt cheap.

Pat

Last edited:
What is the B12 shot for?

SIBO - possible mild case. (Small Intestine Bacterial Overgrowth - a condition that causes loose stool.) Diagnosed when they were searching for reason for chronic diarrhea and did cobalamin test.

SIBO - possible mild case. (Small Intestine Bacterial Overgrowth - a condition that causes loose stool.) Diagnosed when they were searching for reason for chronic diarrhea and did cobalamin test.

Oh, I must have missed that post somewhere along the line. It is odd to me that the vet would give a dog who just had major surgery for SM in her back. That area has to be tender and sore.

It is odd to me that the vet would give a dog who just had major surgery for SM in her back. That area has to be tender and sore.

Mobile vet unfamiliar with SM. I would have done IM in thigh but would have preferred to skip altogether at this time. I would never give any injection to any Cavalier in the back, neck or anyplace near the spine.

Forgot to ask - have you tried Tramadol in the tablet form and, if so, has she thrown that up also?

Pat

thanks for tips on the injections

It was not the usual person who gives them, but her shots were never done IM by other clinic either. I will definitely ask why they are all giving it subq in the back. I also will durect them to move it away from the spine.....period!!

One correction...Gracie was diagnosed with B12 shortage several months ago...but actually other blood results were CONTRARY to SIBO or EPI, so those were both ruled out. Results were more indicative of allergies or IBS though, according to nutritionist at NC State. In fact, two lab measures were in opposite direction of SIBO, but have to go back and see what they were. Since being on raw dogfood diet, Gracie has no had no bouts of colitis from bacterial issues and she is absorbing more B12 on her own...just not quite there without periodic injection.

I knew I would get good tips. Thanks!!!

About the tramadol....

Yes, we have tried tablet and it also came back up sometimes... Maybe 15 minutes later. It is such a fight to get the tabs down her ... We have tried hiding it in liverwurst, cheese, pill pockets, tripe...and she finds it and gets it out. The liquid is less of a fight given her surgical issues and not wanting to aggravate her incision, etc. Not an easy way with her at all.

I wish I had skipped the injection another week but she had missed 2 shots and bloodwork for surgery showed a drop in B12 level. Well, I have learned a tough lesson...

Debra, I never let any vet near Scarlett's neck/back with any injections. I think most can be given in the thigh, if I'm not mistaken.

Yes Holly...you are right

It can be given elsewhere....I had not had a problem before with how they did it just under the skin. But will never let that happen again.

So sorry to hear all this. Love Pat's suggestions, and hope that Gracie is feel g better this evening. Poor little peanut has been through so much this month. And momma too!

If B12 is cold, can they do what I use to do with insulin? I would load the syringe and hold it under my armpit (cap still on of course, lol), or between my lips to warm it up slightly before injecting.

Personally I would think it would be many weeks that she would have sensitivity along the head, neck and spine areas. Of course, I have no practical experience with this.

Thinking of and praying for you and your sweet Gracie.

Yes... It can be room temperature

I feel sure part of it was that she injected it right out if the fridge...and Gracie NEVER had it that way before and was NOT a good time to do it that way.

Back