• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Dovecote Veterinary Hospital in East Midlands

sugarkane74

Hi there

I'm just wondering if anyone has been to Dovecotes with their SM cav? My Star was diagnosed at just 1 yr old and has been on Gabapentin 3 x 100 a day since then and she's been ok. However the last 2 days she's been quieter than usual and won't jump on my bed or the sofa which is most unusual and she has also yelped about 5 times when touched around the head or neck so I'm going to take her to the vets to get her referred again for an MRI. Last time I went to the ANimal Health Trust but it is too far to go as I have a 2 yr old and noone to have her while I go. Dovecotes is a lot nearer but I want to know if they are any good first and if anyone has any experience or info on them. I have looked at their website and they do seem to deal with SM.

Thanks
Elena x

Can't help with info about the Dovecotes, but before you think about another MRI, why don't you ring up the neurologist you saw at AHT for advice? I find with my vet hospital (Chester Gates) that the neurologist is very willing to give advice over the phone to me or my vet, although I haven't actually seen her for 2 years. It may just be a matter of increasing the gabapentin - 3 x 100 is more or less the basic dose - which might be a good thing to do anyway if Star seems in pain, even if you eventually feel another MRI would be helpful. But AHT should be able to advise.

Kate, Oliver and Aled

Thank you Kate for replying.

I took Star to the vets yesterday and they are going to refer her again for another mri as it's been 2 years since her first one so really need to see what's going on. I just hope she's going to be ok as I've read on here that if they were diagnosed at a young age the prognosis isn't very good :(

Hi Elena
Last time I saw you was on the last Cavalier day that Kate organised. I was wondering how you are doing. You might have read that my Ebony had her luxating patellar operation and then they discovered degenerated disks at the MRI they also found CM/SM. Also my Harley is having an MRI Scan as he has been limping for a while now. It seems not many people are spared this horrible disease.
Why don’t you get a referral to The Willows in Solihull, it’s not that far for you. They are excellent. Let us know what happens. Nice to hear from you again shame it’s under these circumstances.

Hi Sabby

Gosh, that was a long time ago.. Ava wasn't even 1 then!

I'm sorry to hear about your babies.. it's awful isn't it. Hopefully your Harley will get the all clear though, keeping my fingers crossed! Makes me so angry that people are probably willingly breeding from dogs that haven't been checked at all or maybe even know.

Thanks for the info. I've just phoned Willows for some info so waiting to hear back from them then will get back to my vets. Star really hasn't been herself the last 2 days so want to get her checked asap.

xx

Hi Sabby

Gosh, that was a long time ago.. Ava wasn't even 1 then!

I'm sorry to hear about your babies.. it's awful isn't it. Hopefully your Harley will get the all clear though, keeping my fingers crossed! Makes me so angry that people are probably willingly breeding from dogs that haven't been checked at all or maybe even know.

Thanks for the info. I've just phoned Willows for some info so waiting to hear back from them then will get back to my vets. Star really hasn't been herself the last 2 days so want to get her checked asap.

xx

Yes it has been a while.
Willows are really good. They would have been my first choice if my vet wouldn’t have a mobile scanner. Hope there is a simple solution to make Star feel better again.

Back