• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

We just picked out a cav puppy and will take any advice anyone can offer!

berniebean

Hi Everyone!

My name is Katie and my boyfriend and I just picked out a very special black and tan cavalier puppy! After lots of research we decide the cavalier breed was for us. We both grew up with dogs, myself a shih tzu and him a cocker spaniel but have yet to have our own in our adult life. We live in Hoboken, NJ which is right outside of NYC so its very much city leaving. We live in the 12th floor apartment. I want to be the best mom I can be to our new pup who we are caling Bernie. I tried uploading a pic as he is absolutely adorable, but haven't quite figured that out yet! :)

Anyway I would so much appreciate any words of wisdom anyone can offer about raising a puppy. I truly want to raise him in the best environment possible and am so excited to share our life with this puppy! We pick him up after labor day so I have been doing lots of research and my breeder has been amazing in getting me some great information about what to prepare for his arrival home.

I know there isn't one "right" way to raise/train a puppy. But does anyone have any helpful potty training tips, especially for city living? We are crate training him but wanted to know if there were any other tricks that would be helpful?

I also am in the process of searching for a Vet. What are things I should look out for to make sure I get a good reliable vet?

Also I have heard so many things about grain free food, what are peoples opinions here?

Anyway if you have any thoughts on any of this, I would love the feedback! Thanks so much and look forward to hearing from you!

Thanks,
Katie

Back